C-SET news

From today’s Charlotte Observer. There’s some more about C-SET in the Q&A section.

C-SET cable provider update

Naomi Travers, who oversees C-SET, said the Bobcats’ regional sports network is still working out details with several cable operators in the Carolinas. She said C-SET is close to a deal with Charter, the primary cable carrier in the Greenville-Spartanburg area, and is negotiating with Cox, Comcast and Adelphia. The Bobcats are partnering with Time Warner Cable in creating C-SET. Travers said it could be next year before C-SET has operating agreements with the other major carriers. C-SET begins operations this month. – R.B.

this is worse than last year, how many people actually have digital cable compared with regular?

[i]Originally posted by finalfourtyniners[/i]@Oct 5 2004, 01:52 PM [b] this is worse than last year, how many people actually have digital cable compared with regular? [/b]
From the C-SET website: [url=http://www.c-set.com/about.htm]C-SET.com[/url]

The network’s first affiliate is Time Warner Cable and C-SET will be initially distributed as a digital basic channel on all Time Warner Cable systems throughout North and South Carolina. Time Warner Cable, the region’s dominant cable system operator, covers 60% of the total 2.7 million cable households in the Carolinas and currently reaches approximately 600,000 subscribers with its digital basic service. Negotiations are ongoing with other distributors in the two states.

So about 1.6 million out of the 2.7 million households in the Carolinas have TW. Out of that, about 600k have Time Warner digital.

Lefty, any news yet on whether or not the CSET games will appear as part of the ESPN FullCourt package? It appears that those of us with a dish are SOL this season if that doesn’t happen.

[b]Negotiations are ongoing with other distributors in the two states. [/b]

Maybe DirecTV will have it by the 05-06 season. :pout:

[i]Originally posted by X-49er[/i]@Oct 5 2004, 02:25 PM [b] Lefty, any news yet on whether or not the CSET games will appear as part of the ESPN FullCourt package? It appears that those of us with a dish are SOL this season if that doesn't happen.
[b]Negotiations are ongoing with other distributors in the two states. [/b]

Maybe DirecTV will have it by the 05-06 season. :pout: [/b]

I doubt C-SET will be available on satellite anytime soon. This is a digital cable vs. satellite battle. TW thinks they can keep/convert customers by partnering with C-SET. And since our games are on C-SET, I don’t think they would allow them to be shown on satellite. Once we’re a hot commodity, we may have some leverage.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner+Oct 5 2004, 02:58 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (LeftyNiner @ Oct 5 2004, 02:58 PM)

Intersting quote from the C-SET website:

[b]“Our relationship with Time Warner Cable provides C-SET immediate distribution to a wide fan base in a targeted region and will utilize state-of-the-art technology,” said Johnson. “By providing our programming digitally, we can offer a superior product and place our viewers ahead of the technological curve as it relates to [b]high definition[/b], video on demand and the newest television innovations.”[/b]

http://www.c-set.tv/about.htm

It would be nice, but I think it will be at least a couple of years before we see Niner games in HD on C-SET.

If any of you insiders know how many road games C-SET is planning to air this year, speak up. :slight_smile:

What channel is this?