C-USA announces hoops tournament sites for 2013 and 2014

Per just completed C-USA BOD meeting in Texas, conference basketball championships (men and women) will be held in Tulsa in 2013 and El Paso in 2014.

Conferenceusa.com: Conference USA Board of Directors Wrap Meeting

More…

Tulsahurricane.com: C-USA Basketball Championships Return to Tulsa in 2013

UTEPathletics.com: C-USA Basketball Championships to Return to El Paso in 2014

uggh…esp. Tulsa

Yikes. Tulsa and El Paso? Somehow that doesn’t beat Atlantic City and Brooklyn in my mind.

Too bad we are late getting to the party, because there have got to be some better options.

Both of those suck for us and the other eastern teams. At least alternate it between east and west, and what was wrong with San Antonio? :-[ :-X

Tulsa and El Paso? >:( >:( >:( >:(

Looks like Memphis got the ol’ boot up the ass. :smiley:

Not really concerned about Tulsa and El Paso. It’ll eventually get to places like New Orleans, San Antonio and maybe Charlotte one day.

I can understand El Paso, but not Tulsa. Tulsa was given the tournament a few years ago and it was a huge flop.

UTEP at least sells a ton of season tickets and had the second highest attendance average behind Memphis. It may be inconvenient for the east coast teams, but at least the arena won’t be embarrassingly empty.

I imagine in 2015 the tournament will move east.

San Antonio would have been nice instead of Tulsa, but UTSA’s arena is awful and they may not have access to the Spurs arena or hosting there may have been too expensive.

If Tulsa found a sponsor willing to buy up the tickets that is all that matters to the conference.

I hope you are right if we traded a northern based conference for a western based conference it would suck - even if we picked up a few more localish teams.

I hope so. It couldn’t get any further west. In the end, if I will not be able to travel to the tourney, I want it to be in a location that makes us the most $$.

I wouldn’t mind a trip to New Orleans though.

Tulsa and El Paso may be farther than Atlantic City but at least our team will be making the trip. I can’t think of any other reason to visit those 2 cities. San Antonio, New Orleans/Southern Mississipi area, Florida, and Boone are all more appealing for the CUSA Tournament in my book. Boone is highly appealing because they can land 737s in North Wilkesboro. My guess is that with ECU soon becoming the premier team in CUSA the tournament will be held their half the time. I am also ok with Dallas or with ODU hosting the tournament.

We won’t be making the trip to Tulsa. Our 1st Tourney will be in El Paso.

We won’t be making the trip to Tulsa. Our 1st Tourney will be in El Paso.[/quote]

Good point. El Paso is even farther than Tulsa. On a more positive note at least UTEP does have a NCAA Basketball Championship.

Bets on 2015 Tourney:

Dallas
Houston
Birmingham

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:14, topic:26832”]Bets on 2015 Tourney:

Dallas
Houston
Birmingham[/quote]

FUCK NO

[size=3][font=calibri]It’s threads like this that keeps me from liking/accepting the conference change for basketball. It will take me several years probably, hopefully sooner.[/font][/size]

What difference does it make where the tourney is? With CUSA it will be on TV! That means the Tourney is at my couch.

Kenny Texas has some very very very hot women.

Kenny Texas has some very very very hot women.[/quote]

I just saw on SCK’s facebook page that he left for Texas.

My problem with El Paso, NWA, is Mexican drug cartels across the border. I’m not going down their to get kidnapped & beheaded.