C-USA Football - Week 1

Look like Rice is holding there own against. Notre Dame

Marshall wins 42-27 over Miami (OH). They struggled mightily with what is expected to be a very poor team from the MAC. I would not crown them as CUSA champs just yet.

Nebraska 55-7 over FAU. FAU improved some last year, but still have a long way to go to compete with Big Red.

Notre Dame 48-17 over Rice. Rice…almost made it competitive, the disaster at the end of the half ended all hope for them. I think they are a solid team regardless of this score.

ODU 41-28 over Hampton. Don’t really have much to add here, but ODU picks up the W. :).

CUSA is off to a solid opening weekend :slight_smile:

Middle Tennessee 61-7 over Savannah State. Complete destruction of a below par FCS school.

Bethune-Cookman 14-12 over FIU. FIU…is just bad. They did play FCS Bethune-Cookman closer this year (it’s their second straight loss to them) . I hope we get them at home, unless they have massive improvement this is a winnable game for us next year.

Texas 38-7 over North Texas. Like Rice, North Texas just couldn’t make the key plays (especially on offense for them) to push Texas. Their defense is physical though, and if that offense starts to click watch out.

Oklahoma 48-16 over La. Tech. Pretty much as expected.

Mississippi State 49-0 over Southern Miss. Interesting fact, after tonight’s game, Southern Miss still leads the series 14-13-1. It will be great for the conference when Southern Miss can return to their winning ways, they still have a long way to go though.

UTEP 31-24 over New Mexico. Good win for UTEP over a MWC team picked to finish near the bottom. UTEP has great fan support (and one of the best fight songs in college football), it’s puzzling to me why the program isn’t more successful.

WKU 59, BOWLING GREEN 31

UTSA 27, HOUSTON 7

http://m.conferenceusa.com/m/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082914aai.html

UAB 48, TROY 10

MARSHALL 42, MIAMI (OHIO) 27

OLD DOMINION 41, HAMPTON 28

UTEP 31, NEW MEXICO 24

MIDDLE TENNESSEE 61, SAVANNAH STATE 7

(22) NEBRASKA 55, FLORIDA ATLANTIC 7

(17) NOTRE DAME 48, RICE 17

(3) OKLAHOMA 48, LOUISIANA TECH 16

(24) TEXAS 38, NORTH TEXAS 7

MISSISSIPPI STATE 49, SOUTHERN MISS 0

BETHUNE-COOKMAN 14, FIU 12

http://m.conferenceusa.com/m/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/083014aad.html

Lately it has been poor coaching and a lack of consistent QB play.

Lately it has been poor coaching and a lack of consistent QB play.[/quote]I’m sure recruiting there is difficult too.

It has very little home grown talent, and the area itself is probably not attractive to a lot of recruits. El Paso is like a different world.

The perception of violence and drug cartels definitely doesn’t help.

Great article about how UTSA quickly overcame the struggles of being a start up to build a competitive FBS program. I am excited for our conference mates out in San Antonio. I would be ecstatic if we could come close to the success they have had over the last few years.

[quote=“MikeNiner11, post:28, topic:28971”]http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/cusa/2014/08/31/college-football-utsa-texas-san-antonio-roadrunners/14862029/

Great article about how UTSA quickly overcame the struggles of being a start up to build a competitive FBS program. I am excited for our conference mates out in San Antonio. I would be ecstatic if we could come close to the success they have had over the last few years.[/quote]

I agree. Old Dominion gets the accolades, but USTA is doing it on the fired.

I agree there, ODU has done well, but UTSA is ahead of them right now. Looking forward to seeing them tangle with Arizona next week.