Cable TV Tech advice needed for old alum: me

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me resolve a cable TV issue. Some of you may already have run into this.

TWC has informed me I need to use a Digital Adapter in order to continue to receive 8 channels I’m currently receiving on my basic cable (in analog) package. These 8 channels will only be available in digital format and the Adapter is needed to access those channels on my TV using their non-digital tier package.

I picked up the Adapter today and it’s simple to install DIRECTLY to my TV. However, (excuse me) I still use a VCR and a DVD player and both lack the HDMI ports necessary for the Adapter.

I have already thought through what I believe my options are at this point. But I thought I’d put this out here for some of you younger tech-minded NINERS to give me as many ideas/directions to resolve this and still be able to record broadcasts (somehow) and play DVDs. I think I know what I’m going to hear, but what do y’all think are my best options?

THANKS!!

[quote=“49er1, post:1, topic:27648”]Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me resolve a cable TV issue. Some of you may already have run into this.

TWC has informed me I need to use a Digital Adapter in order to continue to receive 8 channels I’m currently receiving on my basic cable (in analog) package. These 8 channels will only be available in digital format and the Adapter is needed to access those channels on my TV using their non-digital tier package.

I picked up the Adapter today and it’s simple to install DIRECTLY to my TV. However, (excuse me) I still use a VCR and a DVD player and both lack the HDMI ports necessary for the Adapter.

I have already thought through what I believe my options are at this point. But I thought I’d put this out here for some of you younger tech-minded NINERS to give me as many ideas/directions to resolve this and still be able to record broadcasts (somehow) and play DVDs. I think I know what I’m going to hear, but what do y’all think are my best options?

THANKS!![/quote]No offense intended 49er1, because I may not be too far behind you on the calendar, but can you even buy VHS tapes anymore?

[quote=“49er1, post:1, topic:27648”]Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me resolve a cable TV issue. Some of you may already have run into this.

THANKS!![/quote]I’m not certain, but I don’t think there are any adapters to convert HDMI into a usable format for you. You may finally have to either buy a new VCR/DVD combo with an HDMI hookup.

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI][size=15px]http://www.tgdaily.com/consumer-electronics-features/38063-sharp’s-108”-lcd-tv-on-sale-for-185000[/size][/font]

Not worth the money, but here you go.

http://www.meritline.com/composite-rca-and-s-video-to-hdmi-converter---p-64281.aspx

Thanks for all the help and fun, y’all. I’m going to just step further into the 21st century and get the digital package with some recording capability and not try to rig up any go-arounds, etc. And YES, they still sell VHS tapes, and NO I wasn’t offended by the question. I expected it and the other clever replies.

[quote=“49er1, post:7, topic:27648”]Thanks for all the help and fun, y’all. I’m going to just step further into the 21st century and get the digital package with some recording capability and not try to rig up any go-arounds, etc. And YES, they still sell VHS tapes, and NO I wasn’t offended by the question. I expected it and the other clever replies.[/quote]A DVR will change your world. Sometimes I think the main reason I work is so I can have one.

The government was giving these out free when they switchover happened. I don’t think they are doing it anymore but you can check.

[quote=“Dowless, post:6, topic:27648”]Not worth the money, but here you go.

http://www.meritline.com/composite-rca-and-s-video-to-hdmi-converter—p-64281.aspx[/quote]

He needs it going the other direction. Source is HDMI and it needs to be split into (presumably) composite RCA. Although it likely still would not work given that TWC ensures every digital channel has DRM.

Thanks all. I’ve thrown in the towel. I’ll just get the digital tier and DVR or Tevo, etc.

OK. I’m back on this. I did more research and am OVERWHELMED and UNDERINFORMED by what I have seen. I have TWC “basic cable”. Should I upgrade to digital (more channels) and get the their DVR? Or just buy my own DVR and use what I have? Seems it would be much less expensive if I just bought my own DVR and used it with the cable package I have and am pretty OK with.

[quote=“49er1, post:12, topic:27648”]OK. I’m back on this. I did more research and am OVERWHELMED and UNDERINFORMED by what I have seen. I have TWC “basic cable”. Should I upgrade to digital (more channels) and get the their DVR? Or just buy my own DVR and use what I have? Seems it would be much less expensive if I just bought my own DVR and used it with the cable package I have and am pretty OK with.[/quote]If those channels aren’t important I wouldn’t.

If you don’t have HD, you’re missing out.

clt says to get directv and the mysterious genie.