Calipari to Coach Chicago Bulls?

Wow. This article says Calipari is interested in coaching the Chicago Bulls.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A2KIRy6uouBL62YB_iy8vLYF?slug=aw-caliparibulls050410

This sentence really caught my eye:

Sources say Calipari “hasn’t connected” with Kentucky’s athletic administration in his first year on the job

typical calipari. can’t get along with anyone. uses everyone. stabs everyone in the back.

I hope he goes and actually succeeds, so he never comes back to college ball.

[quote=“Iron9er, post:3, topic:23214”]I hope he goes and actually succeeds, so he never comes back to college ball.[/quote]he can’t put a nba team on probation.

CBSSports.com: Calipari reportedly ‘interested’ in Bulls opening

ESPN.com: UK begins talks on new deal for Calipari

great, I hope he’s gone and never comes back to college basketball.

calipari may doing this to get more money from kentucky.

Fixed.

What a sleeze Calipari is. He cannot get to the Final Four with that squad and he wants more money? Don’t you think he’s wanting to leave for the NBA cause he hears the NCAA footsteps coming up
behind him?

He could legally pay his players…

Did Worldwide Wes leave him? From reading the other thread it sounded as if he was somewhere else.

This is the same guy defending the 2.0 GPA average of the basketball team

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Kentucky-s-John-Calipari-defends-his-academic-tr;_ylt=AoTrxrobAXqOK3eygmflZfjevbYF?urn=ncaab,238590

Calipari may be sleaze, but he can coach. I think if he were to coach the Bulls with Rose and Noah, along with a ton of cap space to land 1 or 2 major free agents, he could be very successful.

His stint with the Nets was setup to fail, he just didn’t have the players and had to deal with the Lockout. He did win 43 games and make the playoffs one season with the likes of Jayson Williams and Kerry Kittles.

You give him Rose, Joe Johnson, Deng, Carlos Boozer, Noah, and some nice role players and that is a top 6 team in the NBA.

I would think it being Chicago could land even bigger name free agents than the ones I listed.

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:14, topic:23214”]Calipari may be sleaze, but he can coach. I think if he were to coach the Bulls with Rose and Noah, along with a ton of cap space to land 1 or 2 major free agents, he could be very successful.

His stint with the Nets was setup to fail, he just didn’t have the players and had to deal with the Lockout. He did win 43 games and make the playoffs one season with the likes of Jayson Williams and Kerry Kittles.

You give him Rose, Joe Johnson, Deng, Carlos Boozer, Noah, and some nice role players and that is a top 6 team in the NBA.

I would think it being Chicago could land even bigger name free agents than the ones I listed.[/quote]

I really disagree.

The Nets roster prior to Calipari’s arrival to the team was even worse than what Calipari had to deal with. Or at least, Calipari really talked up how much more improved the team had become in his first year with the organization. Naturally, Calipari also talked up his coaching skillz as any shameless self-promoter would.

So what happened? The team’s performance was worse than before. Which means that either Calipari is not the great tactitian that he portrays himself to be in the media … or Nets coaching predecessor Butch Beard was the GREATEST NBA COACH IN HISTORY! I tend to go with the former.

Keep in mind that, especially with the dribble-drive, there’s not a whole heckuva lot of coaching done on the bench during the game. Which actually suits his abilities the best - especially if he hires some talented assistants to run practice. If Calipari was a military general, he’d be the master organizer type and not the brilliant strategian type. Calipari earns his money by working the media to his advantage, recruiting elite players to his advantage, and working the schedule to his advantage. Calipari might be the best off-the-court coach in basketball. Which means nothing in the salary capped NBA where the GM handles the off-the-court stuff.

Calipari got exposed in the NBA before and he’d get exposed again.

[quote=“survivor45, post:15, topic:23214”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:14, topic:23214”]Calipari may be sleaze, but he can coach. I think if he were to coach the Bulls with Rose and Noah, along with a ton of cap space to land 1 or 2 major free agents, he could be very successful.

I would think it being Chicago could land even bigger name free agents than the ones I listed.[/quote]

I really disagree.

The Nets roster prior to Calipari’s arrival to the team was even worse than what Calipari had to deal with. Or at least, Calipari really talked up how much more improved the team had become in his first year with the organization. Naturally, Calipari also talked up his coaching skillz as any shameless self-promoter would.

So what happened? The team’s performance was worse than before. Which means that either Calipari is not the great tactitian that he portrays himself to be in the media … or Nets coaching predecessor Butch Beard was the GREATEST NBA COACH IN HISTORY! I tend to go with the former.

Keep in mind that, especially with the dribble-drive, there’s not a whole heckuva lot of coaching done on the bench during the game. Which actually suits his abilities the best - especially if he hires some talented assistants to run practice. If Calipari was a military general, he’d be the master organizer type and not the brilliant strategian type. Calipari earns his money by working the media to his advantage, recruiting elite players to his advantage, and working the schedule to his advantage. Calipari might be the best off-the-court coach in basketball. Which means nothing in the salary capped NBA where the GM handles the off-the-court stuff.

Calipari got exposed in the NBA before and he’d get exposed again.[/quote]

The Nets were 30-52 each season under Butch Beard, who took over for Chuck Daly who had them in the playoffs the season prior. Beard had Kenny Anderson and Derrick Coleman.

Calipari took over a team without Anderson nor Coleman. They went 26-56 (4 wins worse).

In Calipari’s second season, the Nets went 43-41 and made the playoffs, losing in the first round to the eventual champions, Chicago Bulls.

The following season was the nets were sold, there was the Owners Lockout, and they started poorly 3-15. They traded for born loser Stephan Marbury and that sealed Calipari’s fate. The Nets were never good again until they got rid of Marbury.

I know people love to hate Calipari, but I like to look at things objectively. He was not as much as a disaster as a coach as most like to think, in fact I think he was set up in a position of failure. If he were to go to the Bulls with their current talent and salary cap space, he would be set up for success.

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:16, topic:23214”][quote=“survivor45, post:15, topic:23214”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:14, topic:23214”]Calipari may be sleaze, but he can coach. I think if he were to coach the Bulls with Rose and Noah, along with a ton of cap space to land 1 or 2 major free agents, he could be very successful.

I really disagree.

Calipari got exposed in the NBA before and he’d get exposed again.[/quote]

The Nets were 30-52 each season under Butch Beard, who took over for Chuck Daly who had them in the playoffs the season prior. Beard had Kenny Anderson and Derrick Coleman.

Calipari took over a team without Anderson nor Coleman. They went 26-56 (4 wins worse).

In Calipari’s second season, the Nets went 43-41 and made the playoffs, losing in the first round to the eventual champions, Chicago Bulls.

The following season was the nets were sold, there was the Owners Lockout, and they started poorly 3-15. They traded for born loser Stephan Marbury and that sealed Calipari’s fate. The Nets were never good again until they got rid of Marbury.

I know people love to hate Calipari, but I like to look at things objectively. He was not as much as a disaster as a coach as most like to think, in fact I think he was set up in a position of failure. If he were to go to the Bulls with their current talent and salary cap space, he would be set up for success.[/quote]

Chuck Daly was a good nba coach. I’m still unconvinced that Calipari was a good nba coach and I think there are some holes in your argument. I think you’re putting a positive spin on a pretty mediocre performance.

I looked up the Nets roster in the season before Calipari joined and here are the main players Butch Beard had based upon number of starts:
PJ Brown (82 starts), Gilliam (76), Bradley (57), Childs (54), Edwards (33), O’Bannon (29).

Oofa. Not exactly Bird’s Celtics or Magic’s Lakers teams. Butch Beard coaxed 30 wins out of that group before moving on to an unimpressive career at Morgan State.

Calipari had a starting five of Sam Cassell, Kendall Gill, Kerry Kittles, Jayson Williams, and Keith Van Horn.

Again, not overly impressive. Calipari took that group to an 8 seed (which had the honor of getting swept by Jordan’s Bulls). Okay. He gets credit for that. Shouldn’t he also shoulder the blame for taking that same group of players to a 3-17 start the following season? Marbury doesn’t enter the equation since he was acquired mid-season (Cassell was still running the point for Calipari early that year).

EDIT: Must be the offseason if I’m looking up New Jersey Nets stats from the 90s.

I cannot stand Calipari but not sure why he’s a sleaze for leveraging for more money. IMO, if UK feels they need to pony up more to keep his eyes in their direction, then good for Calipari. It’s college basketball and it’s a business. And if someone can afford to pay their way out of a contract to make more money, then so be it. I can’t fault him for being a hot commodity. He’s a helluva coach as much as it pains me to say that.

Way to spoil a good opportunity for some Calipari bashing.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: