Camcorders?

Mrs EE and I are expecting our first in the spring, I was thinking of getting a camcorder this Christmas to record all the good stuff in the first few years. Anyone give me any suggestions on some good ones out there. I really don’t know much about them, I’m in the middle of researching right now, but if anyone can lead me to a few that are good buys I’d apreciate it.

I did the same thing when my daughter was born. I went with a mini DVD camcorder but if I did it again I’d go with the camcorder with a built in hard drive. It’s a pain to convert the mini DVDs to regular DVDs.

Just bought one. JVC 2 megapixel HDD (Hard Drive, not HD). I couldn’t tell you to go buy any other kind. JVC, never made a dvd one, they saw the music industry was going to the hard drive (ipod) and decided thats where the future was.

It is nice. If you have a good computer you can edit easily, you can actually edit on the camcorder, but haven’t tried that yet. No disks, no tapes. Holds up to 37 hours of taping, 7 hours on the highest quality. I wish I would have spent the extra $150 and went for the 5 MP, but I probably couldn’t tell you the difference.

[QUOTE=ninerID;268892]Just bought one. JVC 2 megapixel HDD (Hard Drive, not HD). I couldn’t tell you to go buy any other kind. JVC, never made a dvd one, they saw the music industry was going to the hard drive (ipod) and decided thats where the future was.

It is nice. If you have a good computer you can edit easily, you can actually edit on the camcorder, but haven’t tried that yet. No disks, no tapes. Holds up to 37 hours of taping, 7 hours on the highest quality. I wish I would have spent the extra $150 and went for the 5 MP, but I probably couldn’t tell you the difference.[/QUOTE]

You have me wanting a hard drive camcorder now. I think I’m gonna EBay my other one.

i forgot to mention the reason why I would go with the 5 MP. There is a dock on top of the camcorder that allows you to attach a small mic or telescope light for better light or sound.

I usually check reviews on amazon.com. There are people that say that the quality is better on a “dv” and they are right, but formatting is a pain.
Put it this way, i have a 52" television, and I like the quality, if its your first camcorder, and you aren’t making the blair witch project, you’ll never know. I wanted to be able to edit movies and create DVD’s and send them to people, and HDD was the way to go.

JVC 2 MP and 5 MP come with a dock that allows you to use firewire rather than usb to load to the computer as well.

I have a pdf copy of the 2007 consumer reports buying guide. Send me a PM with your email address and I will email it to you.