Campus Congestion Report

Here’s the report from the Campus Congestion Task Force. They’re looking into ways to reduce the amount of traffic on campus. If you have any suggestions, they’re soliciting feedback.

http://inside.uncc.edu/news-features/2016-09-26/feedback-sought-campus-congestion-report

http://chancellor.uncc.edu/sites/chancellor.uncc.edu/files/media/files/campus-congestion.pdf (large PDF)

If our athletic teams continue to lose, game day traffic should take care of itself.

clt says the millenials don’t drive so this report is a fabrication.

Preventing freshmen from having cars on campus may do the trick, but not sure that is the proper way to go right now.

This is what irritates me about the school, they act like they want to get away from the “commuter” label yet they stop having Friday classes and still allow freshman to have cars on campus, I think we need to go one way or the other, with the student enrollment going up so much we need to decide if we want to be Georgia St or NC State.

This is what irritates me about the school, they act like they want to get away from the “commuter” label yet they stop having Friday classes and still allow freshman to have cars on campus, I think we need to go one way or the other, with the student enrollment going up so much we need to decide if we want to be Georgia St or NC State.[/quote]
I have a friday class now, so if they’d stop having Friday classes that’d be great for me lol, but I do get your point. We need to continue to distance ourselves from the commuter school feel, one way to do that is to prevent freshmen from having cars.
Also some universities make it mandatory for freshmen to live on campus, maybe that too? The no cars thing will clear up traffic and with light rail it really won’t matter cause they can just take that into the city.

This is what irritates me about the school, they act like they want to get away from the “commuter” label yet they stop having Friday classes and still allow freshman to have cars on campus, I think we need to go one way or the other, with the student enrollment going up so much we need to decide if we want to be Georgia St or NC State.[/quote]

There are still Friday classes, in fact departments are required to schedule roughly 20% of their classes for Friday sessions. Part of the problem is the rapid growth, that means congestion. Not sure it’s feasible to require all freshmen to live on campus, or not allow them vehicles, too many still live off-campus to save on the costs of education, etc.

My son has a Friday class.

There are still Friday classes, in fact departments are required to schedule roughly 20% of their classes for Friday sessions. Part of the problem is the rapid growth, that means congestion. Not sure it’s feasible to require all freshmen to live on campus, or not allow them vehicles, too many still live off-campus to save on the costs of education, etc.[/quote]

This is correct. Also, the huge growth we have seen for 2 decades+ would slow dramatically (you could argue this might be good, I realize) if you forced freshman to live on campus and/or not have cars here. The large population of the Charlotte region is what leads a lot of students here (the proximity). These changes would greatly change the stated mission which is to serve our region which was long underserved and take away one of the major “advantages” we have over other state schools.

There are still Friday classes, in fact departments are required to schedule roughly 20% of their classes for Friday sessions. Part of the problem is the rapid growth, that means congestion. Not sure it’s feasible to require all freshmen to live on campus, or not allow them vehicles, too many still live off-campus to save on the costs of education, etc.[/quote]

This is correct. Also, the huge growth we have seen for 2 decades+ would slow dramatically (you could argue this might be good, I realize) if you forced freshman to live on campus and/or not have cars here. The large population of the Charlotte region is what leads a lot of students here (the proximity). These changes would greatly change the stated mission which is to serve our region which was long underserved and take away one of the major “advantages” we have over other state schools.[/quote]

I stand corrected on the Friday classes, I don’t know if that was just a rumor or what but I guess it doesn’t matter now. You have a good point also 919, the University has a mission to educate anyone in Charlotte that wants to be. There are ways to get around this, just need a little imagination, maybe have traditional freshman students not allowed to have cars on campus or if you live on campus you can’t have one, or have a lottery. Regardless there are ways to fix this if you work at it.

I think all freshmen on campus and no cars would solve a ton of our problems.

The arrival of the light rail could be transformational for the traffic on campus. Being able to ride in from all over the city and not have to pay the parking fee should have a major impact.

In addition to that in the past I was def anti-ban cars for freshmen because having a car in charlotte was a necessity. With light rail I am not really sure that is the case. They will be able to get from campus to shopping, entertainment and jobs fairly easily. I can atleast entertain it now.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:12, topic:30553”]The arrival of the light rail could be transformational for the traffic on campus. Being able to ride in from all over the city and not have to pay the parking fee should have a major impact.

In addition to that in the past I was def anti-ban cars for freshmen because having a car in charlotte was a necessity. With light rail I am not really sure that is the case. They will be able to get from campus to shopping, entertainment and jobs fairly easily. I can atleast entertain it now.[/quote]

If traffic is coming in from all over to ride the train to downtown, traffic certainly isn’t going to improve and the parking situation on campus is also going to get worse. I’m already wondering where I’m going to park for football games when they kill the black lots. I’m assuming those parking in the Cone Deck for basketball won’t be affected much when the rail opens.

I loved having a car as a freshman. It really had no effect on whether or not I left campus for the weekend. I would have caught a ride with somebody if I wanted to leave had I not had a car. I don’t know how many students hang around now for the weekend, but having football has to have helped quell that issue some. I used to look ahead at the basketball schedule and plan my trips home around it, even though that was only for a couple of months during the school year. Now there are 6 Saturdays in the fall to plan around for students.

[quote=“X-49er, post:13, topic:30553”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:12, topic:30553”]The arrival of the light rail could be transformational for the traffic on campus. Being able to ride in from all over the city and not have to pay the parking fee should have a major impact.

In addition to that in the past I was def anti-ban cars for freshmen because having a car in charlotte was a necessity. With light rail I am not really sure that is the case. They will be able to get from campus to shopping, entertainment and jobs fairly easily. I can atleast entertain it now.[/quote]

If traffic is coming in from all over to ride the train to downtown, traffic certainly isn’t going to improve and the parking situation on campus is also going to get worse. I’m already wondering where I’m going to park for football games when they kill the black lots. I’m assuming those parking in the Cone Deck for basketball won’t be affected much when the rail opens.

I loved having a car as a freshman. It really had no effect on whether or not I left campus for the weekend. I would have caught a ride with somebody if I wanted to leave had I not had a car. I don’t know how many students hang around now for the weekend, but having football has to have helped quell that issue some. I used to look ahead at the basketball schedule and plan my trips home around it, even though that was only for a couple of months during the school year. Now there are 6 Saturdays in the fall to plan around for students.[/quote]

Umm, looking through the report, it does not seem to recommend banning cars for freshman.

[quote=“Ninerdawg, post:14, topic:30553”][quote=“X-49er, post:13, topic:30553”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:12, topic:30553”]The arrival of the light rail could be transformational for the traffic on campus. Being able to ride in from all over the city and not have to pay the parking fee should have a major impact.

I loved having a car as a freshman. It really had no effect on whether or not I left campus for the weekend. I would have caught a ride with somebody if I wanted to leave had I not had a car. I don’t know how many students hang around now for the weekend, but having football has to have helped quell that issue some. I used to look ahead at the basketball schedule and plan my trips home around it, even though that was only for a couple of months during the school year. Now there are 6 Saturdays in the fall to plan around for students.[/quote]

Umm, looking through the report, it does not seem to recommend banning cars for freshman.[/quote]
Only thing I saw in the report regarding freshmen is that the report suggests that first-year commuter students be required to use the CRI and North Decks if lowering the price doesn’t incentivize enough people to park there.

Recommendation: The task force recommends that North and CRI decks be priced as reduced-cost parking options. This may be done in conjunction with location-based pricing. Should the reduction in price not be sufficient to attract many commuters to the remote decks, the task force recommends that first-year commuter students be required to park in remote parking locations.

[quote=“X-49er, post:13, topic:30553”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:12, topic:30553”]The arrival of the light rail could be transformational for the traffic on campus. Being able to ride in from all over the city and not have to pay the parking fee should have a major impact.

I am referring only to traffic on campus and the assumption that to park on campus you will still be required to have a parking pass. The general public wont be buying a parking pass on campus to ride the train and current students with a pass will be able to park in a park and ride station. Students currently parking in a deck or lot will be able to just park and ride over for free.

Now if the last stop on the train allows for general public to park there for free - then yeah its going to make it worse.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:16, topic:30553”][quote=“X-49er, post:13, topic:30553”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:12, topic:30553”]The arrival of the light rail could be transformational for the traffic on campus. Being able to ride in from all over the city and not have to pay the parking fee should have a major impact.

I am referring only to traffic on campus and the assumption that to park on campus you will still be required to have a parking pass. The general public wont be buying a parking pass on campus to ride the train and current students with a pass will be able to park in a park and ride station. Students currently parking in a deck or lot will be able to just park and ride over for free.

Now if the last stop on the train allows for general public to park there for free - then yeah its going to make it worse.[/quote]

I wasn’t sure if there was a park-and-ride option in the works for the end of the line or not. I assumed that there would be for the commuters so that the train would have viable ridership during the week. I think the students will use it at night and on the weekend to visit downtown, but was curious if they would meet ridership goals outside of that without a park-and-ride lot/option. This may be in the works down the line at an off campus stop somewhere, too.

Not sure if they will put a free park and ride option at the end stop on campus. My thought was that most non-campus/students would use the park and ride right across from the hospital in the deck? Parking services are greedy on campus, my bet is that they’ll still require some kind of pass whether commuter/or student parking pass to park near the light-rail.

Park and Ride is at JW Clay station (across from CRI), not on campus. There’s four Park and Ride stations on the Blue Line Extension: Sugar Creek, Old Concord Road, U City Blvd, and JW Clay.

http://charlottenc.gov/cats/transit-planning/blue-line-extension/Documents/BLE-Projec-tMap.pdf

Light Rail | Parking and Transportation Services | UNC Charlotte (see Parking)

I’ve heard that a round trip light rail ticket stub (or some sort of proof of purchase) will be required to exit the J.W. Clay park and ride deck.