Campus Construction Update

For all the folks who can’t get to campus too often:

New Intramural Fields: The new lighting is all up and the running track is being laid around the site

Phase IX Dorm: Almost completely bricked in. Should be ready for students in the Fall.

EPIC: Inner wall materials going up now. Bricking should begin around the 1st of the year.

Cameron Blvd Culvert: The culvert is in place and the road is reopened to Smurf Village.

Deck H: From the road, is still a pile of dirt.

Tennis Courts: Driving support pilings for the tennis building.

Along Hwy 29: South CRI Entrance is still a pile of dirt. The white building between CRI and Hight Veterinarians is gone.

Anyone know what that building used to be? Comparing Google satellite view with the Master Plan, that building’s location looks like where the light rail and another road into CRI is going to be.

Anyone know what that building used to be? Comparing Google satellite view with the Master Plan, that building’s location looks like where the light rail and another road into CRI is going to be.[/quote]

North CRI entrance would be my guess as well. They piled up the dirt in the driveway too so it can’t be used as a turn around. Folks coming out of Cookout will be pissed.

Large crain has been erected at the site of Parking Deck H over the last two weeks.

Went by the baseball stadium/tennis complex area. Looks like a wasteland of construction. I hope they plan to cover the back of the baseball scoreboard with something.

Heard they were going to put chairbacks there for a better view of the tennis courts.

Heard they were going to put chairbacks there for a better view of the tennis courts.[/quote]

That would be heavenly!

i heard some idiot today on campus say “gosh this campus is so dumb because all they do it build new things, where do they get the money from? id rather them not build anything and get more fast food restaurants”

i think all this building is really making our campus look nice and helps the university’s name…

[quote=“get_gold78, post:8, topic:24325”]i heard some idiot today on campus say “gosh this campus is so dumb because all they do it build new things, where do they get the money from? id rather them not build anything and get more fast food restaurants”

i think all this building is really making our campus look nice and helps the university’s name…[/quote]Now we know how to get more students to the games. Put fast food in the SAC and only have it open during games.

From what I understand, they are going to be replanting trees along the outfield wall.

From what I understand, they are going to be replanting trees along the outfield wall.[/quote]

unless someone said it, but i heard the trees that were there were diseased and were actually planted when the stadium was built.

it’s a really sweet view of the tennis courts and baseball stadium standing on the west deck parking lot.

The faculty parking lot beside Duke is now a construction zone. Looks like the new Kulwichi Autosports facilty will be here soon.

ah, I didn’t know that donation would actually build a new facility. I thought the donation was just to support the autosports program. Anyone have a rendering for what the building will look like?

As an education facility I’m sure the state issued a bond for the construction costs. The Kulwicki Family donation was toward the autosports program but not the building itself. For the donation the building will bare the Kulwicki name though.

Work will begin in fall 2010 on a new 15,000-square-foot $4.5-million motorsports engineering building, which will be adjacent to the current motorsports lab on the UNC Charlotte campus.

“This second motorsports building will focus on the research activities of the program,” said Mechanical Engineering professor Dr. Ahmed Soliman, director of the motorsports engineering program. “Our current lab building will be used for student projects and race teams.”

The new building will become home to the program’s water tunnel, a new small-scale wind tunnel, computational facilities, state-of-the-art engine dynamometer, faculty and graduate student offices and other research facilities. Completion is scheduled for fall of 2011.

http://coe.uncc.edu/newsletter/2010-summer/113-motorsports-engineering-updates.html

The project will expand the facilities for this growing academic program. Currently, the University has a 5500 SF Motorsports building that was built in conjunction with Duke Centennial Hall. This facility is inadequate for the current program and space will become more of an issue as the program expands. The proposed building will be partially finished and will eventually add 13500 GSF including: new lab spaces, faculty and staff offices for new hires, and support spaces. The proposed building will be sited within close walking distance of the existing Motorsports building and Duke Centennial Hall on the Charlotte Research Institute Campus. The building will be designed to comply with SB 668 to the levels appropriate for this type of structure. Project Budget: $ 4,000,000
[url=http://facilities.uncc.edu/FileManager/files/Motorsports.doc]http://facilities.uncc.edu/FileManager/files/Motorsports.doc[/url]

Motorsports program is already nationally reconized but this will be even better. Dr. Soliman is a awesome professor too

Nothing says Autosports like Neo-Classicism… VROOOOOOOOOOOM VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Yes a field of Winnebagos would have been much more appropriate.

Yes a field of Winnebagos would have been much more appropriate.[/quote]

#cosign

Some photos of the new intramural fields.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=239606&id=35895347263&fbid=444929102263