Campus Legends/ History/ Myths?

Now that it seems our campus has changed more than ever in the past few years, I was thinking it would nice to try and keep track of a lot of the legends that are on campus, as buildings are being redone and the students/ alumni of the future can have a place to say wow, never knew that about campus or that used to happen.

This can also be used to bust some myths or give substance to them.

Ex. Is there really a cemetery on campus?? Most of us by now, do know this as common knowledge that the wooden fenced areas by the baseball stadium are unmarked graves from the old health clinic way back when. But it was cool to see articles about it and even the student paper picked it this past fall.

One that I’m curious about is I heard that the base of the Belk Tower used to have a pond/ fountain aspect to it, but, the algae would get so bad that they just bricked over the pond, not sure if others know anything about that. But I’m interested to hear about old aspects of the campus or old legends etc…

For those of you that don’t know, we do have at least 1 underground tunnel, it goes from the College of Education building to the College of Health and Human Services, but, I’ve heard there are others potentially? Anyone know.

I also had the opportunity to meet one of our alumni at Thai Thai down close to Arboretum, he just appeared as an older man and I over heard him talking to the cashier about “UNCC” etc… so I struck up a conversation with him, telling him I’m also an alumni. He went on to tell me he was the first person that Miss Bonnie told about the land grant for our now campus, as she was teaching his class at the then Charlotte College and she showed up to class late(which she was never late).

She asked him to stay after class, and, she had explained that she had flown to Raleigh that morning for the Board of Governor’s meeting and that her flight back was a little delayed and had come straight from the airport and hadn’t had a chance to tell anyone yet, so with excitement she told him(Dewy I believe was the gentlemen’s name, and seemed to go to do some pretty awesome things, Engineering with NASA etc…), and it was just really cool to hear his stories.

So post cool stories, myths, etc…

Apparently football was started by a few guys standing in a classroom covering their nuts.

There was a bar/club under the RDH called the Rathskeller. At least through the mid 90s.

I heard the AD leaves section 103 empty on purpose :o

Belk Gym was affectionately called the Mineshaft.

The platform next to the bell tower was put there for the victory bell.

There WAS an on campus apartment complex known to the students as Smurf Village. Not a myth.

Yup. I used to live there.

The water in the toilet of the fourth stall of the men’s bathroom on the north end of Halton Arena flushes the other way.

It’s unreal.

The other one runs from underneath the Cone Center to under the King Building. Not really what I was expecting but it does channel two buildings underground which qualifies it as a tunnel.

If you walk underneath the Cone Center where Venture keeps their equipment (inside the fenced off area) there is a set of steps that lead to nowhere. Its from one of the 3 previous expansions to the Cone Center. If you look back in some of the old yearbooks you can see pictures of people walking there from back in the day. Kinda creepy but cool.

Bonnie Cone’s son/grandson/nephew died/broke his leg playing Football so she gave money to the school with a stipulation we can never play Football FOREVER!

So will the slaves & Native Americans who’s graves we disturbed to build the FB stadium make us lose? Our FB team is cursed by GHOSTS!

One Alum told me in the '70’s he tried to hook up with a girl at an old Barn on campus, but when they got there Satanists had sacrificied a dog. He said nothing turns a girl out of the mood quicker than a dog sacrifice.

Is smurf village gone

For those of you that don't know, we do have at least 1 underground tunnel, it goes from the College of Education building to the College of Health and Human Services, but, I've heard there are others potentially? Anyone know.

So there’s a tunnel connecting two newer buildings that are literally 80’ apart?

Is smurf village gone[/quote]
yup

Our basketball team made regular appearances in the NCAA tourney in the late 90’s and early-mid 2000s. I witnessed it.

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:15, topic:27470”]

For those of you that don’t know, we do have at least 1 underground tunnel, it goes from the College of Education building to the College of Health and Human Services, but, I’ve heard there are others potentially? Anyone know.

So there’s a tunnel connecting two newer buildings that are literally 80’ apart?[/quote]

That’s how they move the cadavers around.

Is smurf village gone[/quote]
yup[/quote]

Like the wind! Martin and Hunt Villages are next. Too expensive to bring up to code with water sprinklers.

Truth!!!

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:15, topic:27470”]

So there’s a tunnel connecting two newer buildings that are literally 80’ apart?[/quote]

CHHS doesn’t have a loading dock so they use the tunnel to use COED’s loading dock.