Can Confirm Healy is on Vanderbilt’s (very) short list

Worst? I dunno but we were certainly near the bottom though with smallest stadium to boot.

Not even close to the worst job. We were coming off a 5-7 record and in a great city.

1 Like

We bowled for the first time last season. I was very happy. We got murdered in that bowl game too. We were able to rip off 5 in a row after being 2-6, a great feat, but not the best way to instill confidence. We squeaked one out against a bad North Texas team, we beat a crummy Middle Tennessee team, we did get a good win against a good Marshall squad, and then we handled business against an absolutely atrocious ODU squad. I am glad he got us bowling, glad we are getting national attention, but to say he has been “so good” is a bit of an overstatement from where I sit. Especially now being under .500 in an albeit very strange season.

I’m fine continuing to let Healy grow the program. I’m also fine if Vandy somehow hires him, though I’d be astonished. I wish him and his family nothing but the best. If they are crazy enough to offer it, I absolutely think he should take it. If he goes to Vandy I could see him winning 8 or 9 games after a few years, or I could just as easily see him flaming out after a few years. He is a culture guy, but he doesn’t have the right people in place, or potentially even contacts to run an SEC program. He will need to learn on the job… very quickly.

1 Like

These forum posts read like a bi-polar person’s journal. Mens Basketball is Alan Major 2.0, football is a dumpster :fire:, and the SEC wants steal our coach.

9 Likes

Lol I think you win the thread.

1 Like

Healy, to me, has beaten who is better than, lost to who is worse than with the one asterix being Marshall.

At Vanderbilt, that’s 2-10.

I do love his recruiting, but I do think the higher up the ladder he goes, the less effective this might be.

I want him here, and I think he’s evolving into a guy that will leave us sooner than later, but I don’t think he’s there yet.

Adding, this would be a tough sell as a first hire if you are a new AD, especially as anSEC school.

1 Like

Smallest FBS stadium and local HS coaches that hated us with terrible fan support and lack of student engagement and nonexistent in our own market with an absolutely awful FBS record and a season removed from a 1 win season. Like I said Wasnt the worst but we were down around the bottom as program especially looking at where we should have been.

If Healy stays I think we are moving in the right direction and the program will continue to grow. If Healy goes he proves that Charlotte was the better job and Mike Houston jumps off a bridge. So it is a win-win!

I hate being bipolar. Its awesome!

2 Likes

You know what they say about opinions.

Yeah my opinion is that we were near the bottom but the list why is all facts. Don’t see how ya look at all that and feel good about where we were On a list of FBS college programs. If you had warm fuzzy feelings after Lambert’s final season I need lots of whatever you are taking.

Price pretty much put out basketball program in the same place.

I hate being terrible.

As for Will if they offer big money and he leaves I can’t blame him, but IMO the jury is still out on him if he can actually build a sustainable winner. Don’t want to lose him but we are at least in a much better place having a coach hired away vs firing a coach.

So near the bottom with great upside is the consensus I think.

As far as Healy goes, your 100% correct. The verdict is still out. Can he sustain?

I do think the train wreck of a season thus far this year doesn’t help at all. It is concerning. I know Mike put out the letter to Niner Nation rallying support but its a 2 way street. AD and athletes need to show same commitment during these difficult times as the fans and donors have.

As far as Healy goes, if he goes then he goes. It is not a tremendous loss at this point. But we need to remember he wasn’t even the first choice for a bottom tier fledgling FBS program. Being the first choice of a P5 institution 2 years later is a tremendous jump.

1 Like

Just stop it already----you are doing what so many on here do. Pretend someone says something different than they did and then argue why “that” was wrong. I was all for Lambert being fired (he should have been gone 1 year earlier though). I never said I “felt good” about where we were, but that doesn’t equate to us being “one of the worst FBS jobs” in the country. The team was coming off a 5-7 season, in a great city, with new (albeit small facilities), with an expansion plan on the table in a great city. We also pay a decent salary (at least compared to other G5 programs), considering our lack of history and success. Also, the new coach wouldn’t be coming in with expectations of having to go 11-1 to be successful. As we saw, 7-5 was viewed as a great success (literally, a 2 game improvement).

Ok maybe we are disagreeing on semantics if you are looking at the potential of where you could take this program then definitely not one of the worst jobs - I’ll absolutely give you that, but if you were looking at where the program actually was in terms of overall wins, support, etc definitely one of the worst.

clt is hearing that the Coastal coach wants to come here

If Healy gets the offer I fully expect him to leave and wish him the best. I don’t know how you judge him this season with all the games cancelled or postponed. That would leave Vandy to base their decision largely on potential and only having a 7-5 season to really look at here.

I get the argument (I think) that we weren’t one of the worst FBS jobs in the country based on potential of the program and the players we had coming back? The program overall however was absolutely one of the worst FBS programs in the country.

Wills hype game is strong!!

Parts of that article makes me wonder who are they talking about? Now I know why we want to fire Coaches after 18 months, the hype train puts your advancement arc in very small windows. Fake it till you make it I guess.

1 Like

Will Healy is great at promoting Will Healy. Great with a capital “G”.

1 Like