Can Of Worms?

how many of these guys did lutz recruit and how many did moxley recruit. moxley is the real key to us landing big time players, not as much lutz.

Well, that has been raised in the past as being an issue. Not so much for Moxley. But we did lose Orlando Early, Kevin Nickleberry and Dalonte Hill, key past recruiters for us.

Plavich was a transfer from Vandy I believe. Iā€™m glad this next class has less JUCO players. Our best players played 4 years. Eddie, Withers, Jobey, Leemire. Lets go away from the JUCO route unless itā€™s an absolute stud. Mack was supposed to be a stud but that hasnā€™t proven to be true.

Plavich was a transfer from Vandy I believe. I'm glad this next class has less JUCO players. Our best players played 4 years. Eddie, Withers, Jobey, Leemire. Lets go away from the JUCO route unless it's an absolute stud. Mack was supposed to be a stud but that hasn't proven to be true.

I agree, but here lies our biggest problem IMO. We spend too much time recruiting kids we just canā€™t land, so when they pick an ACC school over us we are left scrambling and end up with JUCOs or transfers.

We have to be realistic in our approach and coach up what we get.

Did we have JUCOs in 1977? Donā€™t think so. Unless Jon Heath was a JUCO. Quite possible. Thatā€™s only one. Heck UNC-CH had one too.
Robert McAdoo. How bout that for a history lesson. Problem with us is we keep repeating a less than satisfactory history.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;366342]I agree, but here lies our biggest problem IMO. We spend too much time recruiting kids we just canā€™t land, so when they pick an ACC school over us we are left scrambling and end up with JUCOs or transfers.

We have to be realistic in our approach and coach up what we get.[/QUOTE]
I agree with that totally also. We wasted our time with a kid like Davila.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;366171]1977 Final Four Team: [B]Some coaches considered our starting 5 the best starting 5 in the nation that year.[/B] 2 of those starters were TOP 10 draft choices when they entered the NBA Draft. Cedric Maxwell was drafted very high in '77 and Chad Kinch was drafted 7th (I think) when he graduated. Those 5 starters could have started for any team in the country.[/QUOTE]
Sorry Over40, but I have to call you on this one. Maxwell was drafted 12th in 1977, and Kinch was drafted 22nd in 1980.

Beatin a dead horse here? Not three years, not thirteen years, but THIRTY plus years!!!! What happened?
I'm not sure I follow what you're trying to say.
Sorry Over40, but I have to call you on this one. Maxwell was drafted 12th in 1977, and Kinch was drafted 22nd in 1980.
Shhhhhhhhhhhh........................... Things were just fine the way I described them. Anyway, my point remains the same. They were both drafted in the first round.

In short, Over 40, I expected us to be a perennial top-25 team after 30 years from a Final Four appearance, given what we had at that time. Facilities,
coaches, etc. We lost our way along the way and Iā€™m just trying to come to grips with it. 1-6? Are you serious? Never thought it would happen
in my worst nightmare! Not with the schedule weā€™ve had so far. Not gonna get much easier from here! Help! Broken record!

And the only first rounder weā€™ve had since: Rodney White who dominated college basketball.

Did we have JUCOs in 1977? Don't think so. Unless Jon Heath was a JUCO. Quite possible. That's only one. Heck UNC-CH had one too. Robert McAdoo. How bout that for a history lesson. Problem with us is we keep repeating a less than satisfactory history.
"Jumping" Jon Heath graduated in '75.

And for those that donā€™t know McAdoo was Dean Smithā€™s first (and perhaps only) JUCO. McAdoo played one year for the tarholes and left early for the NBA, something almost unheard of back then. You should have heard those tarhole fans making excuses the following year. :shades:

Is there a precedent for extending a coachā€™s contract and letting him go the next? Just curious.

This is not intended to stir up a can of worms,
Yes it was or you wouldn't have posted that.
What the hell is your definition of a "stud player"??

I would add:

Leemire Goldwire
Brendan Plavich
Curtis Withers

Thatā€™s the problem. Lee and Plavich arenā€™t studs. Lutz ran the whole offense around them, which allowed them to pile up points. Plavich was a weak defender and poor ballhandler. Lee was a 5-10 2G with marginal ballhandling skills that gambled on defense. It was good for the goose.

[QUOTE=fishniner;366368]Is there a precedent for extending a coachā€™s contract and letting him go the next? Just curious.[/QUOTE]

[URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2785187]3/2/07 Phil Fulmer signs extension to 2013[/URL]

[URL=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/andy_staples/11/03/fulmer/index.html]Fulmerā€™s leaving 11/3/08[/URL]

Difference is, UT has truckloads of cash for a buyout.

[QUOTE=bball49er;366472]Thatā€™s the problem. Lee and Plavich arenā€™t studs. Lutz ran the whole offense around them, which allowed them to pile up points. Plavich was a weak defender and poor ballhandler. Lee was a 5-10 2G with [B]marginal ballhandling skills[/B] that gambled on defense. It was good for the goose.[/QUOTE]

Always thought he was an excellent ballhandler. Wasnā€™t a good passer though, and was no PG even though we asked him to be.

Always thought he was an excellent ballhandler. Wasn't a good passer though, and was no PG even though we asked him to be.

Especially on his patented cross over, breaking opponents ankles, to get open for shots. Oh I miss that.

[QUOTE=Normmm;366536]Especially on his patented cross over, breaking opponents ankles, to get open for shots. Oh I miss that.[/QUOTE]

I donā€™t. He was a 37% shooter last year. Donā€™t make him better than he was just 'cause we suck this year. We should be playing a different style and it ainā€™t gonna happen.

[QUOTE=hootie;366561]I donā€™t. He was a 37% shooter last year. Donā€™t make him better than he was just 'cause we suck this year. We should be playing a different style and it ainā€™t gonna happen.[/QUOTE]

Wow, can you please shut it? Iā€™d give a lot for Lee to have another year, we donā€™t have a player on the roster who could hit the big time shots like he did or close out the game with consistent FTs like Lee. When Lee you were up with 2 minutes left, the ball went into Leeā€™s hands, the same guy who dropped 30+ several times last year.

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;366569]Wow, can you please shut it? Iā€™d give a lot for Lee to have another year, we donā€™t have a player on the roster who could hit the big time shots like he did or close out the game with consistent FTs like Lee. When Lee you were up with 2 minutes left, the ball went into Leeā€™s hands, the same guy who dropped 30+ several times last year.[/QUOTE]

No, I wonā€™t.

Lee sure as hell won a few games for us, but just as many, he kept shooting when he was cold as hell. Iā€™m not blaming him, he was doing what he was told to do.

There-in lies the rub, if youā€™ll bother to read any other post Iā€™ve ever written.