Carowinds announced "The Intimidator"

Carowinds just announced its newest coaster, the Dale Earnhardt themed “Intimidator.” The Southeast’s largest, fastest and longest coaster.

http://intimidator.carowinds.com/

Kings Dominion also has an “Intimidator” ride in the works, only theirs is a gigacoaster, at 70 feet higher and 15 mph faster.

Either way, looks like a great addition to the park.

I guess KD (or central VA) isn’t in the SE then?

Apparently Virginia is not the southeast.

I was hoping when this was hyped as “record breaking,” it wasn’t going to be something like “largest coaster in the Carolinas” or “largest coaster in the Southeast.” A highest or fastest in the country would have really been a great addition to Carowinds.

And even though the KD coaster is higher and faster, the one here looks better from the concept videos.

Of course, with the Earnhardt theme, this place will absolutely flood during Speedweek.

[QUOTE=SF4Nynah;426990]Apparently Virginia is not the southeast.

I was hoping when this was hyped as “record breaking,” it wasn’t going to be something like “largest coaster in the Carolinas” or “largest coaster in the Southeast.” A highest or fastest in the country would have really been a great addition to Carowinds.

And even though the KD coaster is higher and faster, the one here looks better from the concept videos.

Of course, with the Earnhardt theme, this place will absolutely flood during Speedweek.[/QUOTE]

Ironically I was just at Kings Dominion last weekend. I saw a lot of what looked like rollercoaster track parts laying off to the side of the parking lot. I guess those were parts for this new rollercoaster. There was also a little booth set up showing video of the new coaster. Hopefully it will be a great ride.

Are they putting that in where the old Log Flume ride was, over by the kiddie area?

That’s kinda sad. Loved the 'flume as a kid, and I think that coast will scare the crap out of my toddler when he’s over in that area. Those big coasters are loud + all that screaming.

Sorry my I have season passes mainly because of my son. I’m also not crazy about carowinds morphing into coasterville, which it’s quickly doing. I like coasters, but the whole park is nothing but a half dozen long lines for 2 minute coaster rides. There’s not much else to do aside from the kiddie rides.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;426999]Are they putting that in where the old Log Flume ride was, over by the kiddie area?

That’s kinda sad. Loved the 'flume as a kid, and I think that coast will scare the crap out of my toddler when he’s over in that area. Those big coasters are loud + all that screaming.

Sorry my I have season passes mainly because of my son. I’m also not crazy about carowinds morphing into coasterville, which it’s quickly doing. I like coasters, but the whole park is nothing but a half dozen long lines for 2 minute coaster rides. There’s not much else to do aside from the kiddie rides.[/QUOTE]

I like the coasters at KD. Unfortunately, now with two kids, a day at KD is mainly sitting and waiting while the little ones ride the kiddie rides. There is fun in watching them have fun but I miss going from coaster to coaster. At least I got to get on one last weekend!!

When the kids get older, we’ll do the season pass as we’re only about 30 minutes from KD and I anticipate us going there more frequently.

Havent been to Carowinds in years. Is there enough in that park to keep a 3 year old happy? She’s pretty fearless, so riding rides wouldnt be a problem.

[QUOTE=casstommy;427006]Havent been to Carowinds in years. Is there enough in that park to keep a 3 year old happy? She’s pretty fearless, so riding rides wouldnt be a problem.[/QUOTE]

The kiddie area is good for about 2 to 3 hours, then she’ll probably hit a wall, and you’ll be bored. The kiddie lines move quickly, so you can hit almost all of the kid rides in that time.

If you’re looking for a break, try going after 4pm and paying the discount admission. Make sure it’s a day they dont close early.

I’m kind of regretting visiting Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH, easily the best park in the US that I’ve been to.

Because when you visit Carrowinds, in the back of my head the thought always occurs that Carrowinds best roller coaster would be like the 8th or 9th best at Cedar Point. Always has me wanting to go back to Sandusky for a visit.

Cedar Point is awesome. Fun stuff. And carowinds has a balance of rides for adults and kids, but as mentioned before the kids lines move much faster and you can get out/get bored faster.

I remember the good ol’ days of working at KD. Rebel Yell, Grizzly, Hypersonic… man am I glad that chapter of my life is long over.

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;427041]I’m kind of regretting visiting Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH, easily the best park in the US that I’ve been to.

Because when you visit Carrowinds, in the back of my head the thought always occurs that Carrowinds best roller coaster would be like the 8th or 9th best at Cedar Point. Always has me wanting to go back to Sandusky for a visit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah - Just have to remember that the Cedar Fair people have not owned Carowinds very long. They have added 2 big rides in the last 2 years between the Cobra and now this. They are sinking some money into the park - just takes time.

[QUOTE=NinerWupAss;427054] They have added 2 big rides in the last 2 years between the Cobra and now this. They are sinking some money into the park - just takes time.[/QUOTE]

Technically, the Cobra is a retread from another CF park (Gueaga Lake?/Gueaga Park?). CF closed that park and redistributed some of the rides with some fresh paint.

Intimidator is the 1st legit ride I’ve seen at Carowinds in years. Borg was a huge disappointment in my opinion. Incredibly slow load times and doesn’t go very fast.

ETA: Borg was also a retread from another Paramount park.

Cobra is ok. Great compared to what Carowinds had, but nothing much compared to other parks.

In my opinion, Carowinds has been a great kiddy park that also happened to have Top Gun (I know thats is the old name), Thunder Road and Hurler. This new ride should help tilt it towards being a family park.

Oh yeah, one other thing, Cedar Point is the “mac daddy” of amusement parks. If we had half of that park in Charlotte, I would go back to buying season passes.

Havent been to Cedar point in 15 years. It was pretty damn cool though.

Yeah, I’ve thought Carowinds was more geared towards things for the kids for quite a while. When it was owned by Paramount they put in so much kiddie stuff. I’m glad to see the park transitioning into having some nice coasters.