Caylin Newton

Agreed! $1 for pay access isnā€™t going to stop someone from seeing comments.

Sure they do. Thatā€™s pretty much the concept recruiting sites are built around.

1 Like

I am sure I have mentioned this before, but on the Appy board they have a forum called The Moose Lodge, moderated by a poster named Firemoose. Access is invitation only, and I am pretty sure you need to have a history on the board as an appster to get in. It seems like we could do the same here pretty easily.

Echo chambers are great

1. We probably should have a moderator approved private area.

2. I highly doubt message boards are a deciding factor or even a small factor in recruiting decisions. ā€œWell coach I loved you and the staff and the facilities and the school and all, but honestly you have a few asshole fans on that message board so Iā€™m going elsewhere.ā€

As for Newton, bring him in and let him compete. The staff already showed with Reynolds they let the best guy win the job. Keane was their guy and heā€™s not playing.

Jeans playing in JRS would have been awesome!!! Nice typo!!!

Hahaha oops

clt offers up ā€œ the vip chat page loungeā€

Seems like you have it all figured. Iā€™ll be sending the email to Healy to let him know he hired the wrong guy to run recruiting.

You also have to look at QB depth next year. Your number 2 and 3 guy are graduating. Your number 4 moved to play baseball. Bringing in an athletic quarterback who can run the RPO with 2+ years of starting experience to compete and/or provide depth isnā€™t a bad idea.

Iā€™ve not studied his game tapes so I donā€™t know all his strengths and weaknesses but Iā€™m trusting the staff to do that.

We have seen on offensive line and the defense what a lack of depth can do to the team. Even if they sign him, Iā€™m assuming there will still be a QB signed to make it a three way competition in the spring.

With injuriesā€¦you need depth at every position especially QB.

And I trust Healy will make no promises to Newton and his campā€¦but thatā€™s what Iā€™m curious to see play out. Newton has only 2 years leftā€¦I doubt he will go anywhere thatā€™s non-P5 where thereā€™s a chance he holds a clipboard. He wants to play.

Just doesnā€™t seem like a good fit for him. 2 years leftā€¦to come in behind an incumbent starter who also has 2 years left. Both with similar skillsets and size. Againā€¦we see him as depthā€¦Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s not the fit heā€™s looking for.

Completely agree with this. If he wants to come & fight for the starting job but be willing to accept a backup role thatā€™s great. Would bring some attention to the program just having him on the roster as a backup & possibly having Cam around occasionally. I just really doubt he left a place where he started to play the last 2 years of his career as a backup. Would think heā€™s pretty much looking for a guaranteed starting position.

I never once said you shouldnā€™t bring him to campus. Just a lot of people on here complaining about Lambert recruiting FCS talent. Thatā€™s the reason we arenā€™t good this year remember. I assume, on this board, Healy will get the same flack as Lambert for recruiting an FCS walk on.

He can recruit whomever he wants to recruit. Itā€™s his team .

Well so far Healy is bringing in three star FBS level recruits left and right. Lambert almost exclusively brought in FCS level kids, with exceptions here and there. So yeah he took a lot of heat for it and rightfully so. Look at our 247 recruiting class pages under the last few years of Lambert vs Healyā€™s first class. Itā€™s night and day. I think this staff knows what theyā€™re doing on the recruiting trail. I have to say, itā€™s refreshing to have high standards for this staff. We take one look at a kid from an FCS program and some people are losing it. We are now expecting to see FBS and borderline BCS talent brought in, and thatā€™s the way it should be.

Perfect. Thatā€™s a start to turn this around. It looks like our days of bringing in and signing FCS talent is over. Especially with this ā€œcultureā€ Healy is creating. 3 star and above should be beating down the doors to get in.

**3 star at this level is very subjective You had better be evaluateing your players very closely weā€™ve had 3 transfers come in this past year that weā€™re 3 & 4 stars & the one that was starting got beat out by a walk on last week to start. **

Good point. Probably the better thing to look at than stars or rankings is the offer list. Brad no-other-offers Lambert routinely brought in kids that no one else offered. And yeah sometimes that kid turns into a Larry O or a Highsmith, but much more often than not they are kids who just canā€™t hang at the FBS level. Healy is consistently bringing in recruits who were also pursued by lots of other FBS teams. And i fully expect the classes to get even better from here.

The article that I read stated he was leaving to go where he could win a championship. His father spoke of the differences between the P5 money and a school like Howard. He may just be testing us out if other opportunities fall through. Everyone that is smart will have multiple options including coach Healy.