Central America

Can we please send the coaches on a recruiting trip to Central America? The panama team beat a loaded USA team.

I say we skip the Juco ranks, skip the Charlotte area, and just recruit the south, I mean way far south.

Thoughts?

One of the players for Panama is ex-GW Colonial Danilo Pinnock.

BTW, I read where Jim Baron is over in Serbia scouting recruits for Rhode Island. Our coaches are somewhere in Kansas or Texas checking out the JUCOs… :rolleyes:

The panama team beat a loaded USA team.

Is this the same loaded USA team that lost to Uraquay also?

:pout:

Is this the same [I]loaded[/I] USA team that lost to [B]Uraquay[/B] also?

:pout:

Joey Dorsey
Wayne Ellington
Shan Foster
James Gist
Roy Hibbert
Maarty Leunmen
Derrick Low
Eric Maynor
Drew Neitzel
Scottie Reynolds
Kyle Weaver
and DJ White

is a pretty awesome lineup.

Thats why I say, lets go to uraguay, panama, etc. and find some of these guys. However, some are like Davila where they live here and just play for their native country.

[QUOTE=ice_cold49er;250522]Is this the same [I]loaded[/I] USA team that lost to [B]Uraquay[/B] also?

:pout:[/QUOTE]
Yes, it is, effectively removing the US team from medal contention.

Speaking of Uraguay, the Niners have done pretty well in the not-so-distant past in recruiting South America. But alas, our focus in now on the JUCO circuit in Kansas and Texas…

IMO the best pure shooter in UNCC history (at least since post '77) has the name Diego (last name I think was Guevarro). Awesome J with ice-water running through his veins. As Huggy, I bet he remembers him.

I loved Diego, but no way was he our best pure shooter. That would have to be either Henry, Jobey or Brendan, in my opinion.

I agree with you 100% ID. They play some serious basketball in Central America and South America but it’s seldom appreciated. Plus there’s not as much of a lure of pro basketball as there is in Europe because of the disparity in pay between the leagues. A college education in the US is also more appealing to a HS CA and SA player than a Euro HS player.

Of course, Canada punked the U21 team that Withers played on…

And they won’t take things for granted, & they’ll be appreciative, & they’re less likely to point guns at strippers. LOL.

Pure shooters I would have to go with Henry or Jobey, but with the game on the line and needing the big 3 I will take Diego over either of them. He is the best shooter in the clutch we have ever had IMO.

I agree. Why don’t we recruit Idaho, etc?

[QUOTE=WBNiner;250586]Pure shooters I would have to go with Henry or Jobey[/QUOTE]
It’s been a long time ago, but a player by the name of Lew Massey may also belong on that list… and that was before the day of the 3 pointer.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;250629]Lew Massey may also belong on that list… and that was before the day of the 3 pointer.[/QUOTE]
Over40, you won’t get any argument from me.

I agree. Why don't we recruit Idaho, etc?

Did you mean Iowa?

[QUOTE=NLP;250573]I agree with you 100% ID. They play some serious basketball in Central America and South America but it’s seldom appreciated. Plus there’s not as much of a lure of pro basketball as there is in Europe because of the disparity in pay between the leagues. A college education in the US is also more appealing to a HS CA and SA player than a Euro HS player.

Of course, Canada punked the U21 team that Withers played on…[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah. I can just hear everyone now…after bringing in three foreign players over some local kids who blow up at App and Davidson…and 2 of the 3 are busts. It’s like the JUCO thing.

Why not? I bet Diego could be persuaded to lead a recruiting trip and bridge the cultural gap, not to mention the alumni who have played pro in Spanish speaking places… they could be approached. Maybe they’d help. We could reach-out. The whole team could do a summer tour.

Yeah, foreign players are the way to go… Look how well Iti worked out for us.

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;251069]Yeah, foreign players are the way to go… Look how well Iti worked out for us.[/QUOTE]
Does seem like we need to stay away from Aussies as Mr. Iti was overhyped and Wade “Thunder From Down Under” Helliwell had that one big game versus Davidson before heading home to the NBL. Hmmm…

Oh yeah. I can just hear everyone now...after bringing in three foreign players over some local kids who blow up at App and Davidson...and 2 of the 3 are busts. It's like the JUCO thing.

Considering the foreigners beat the jucos by 28 points in Davidson last year I don’t see your point.

I think we need to just recruit better in general, especially 4 year players.