Central Cabarrus high school

Central Cabarrus high school in Concord, not far from our campus, is playing for “The Throne”
national championship today on fox TV at 1:30. They have won over 30 games this year and are undefeated. Wonder if we are looking at any of their players?

1 Like

Their star player has offers from Johnson c smith and lees macrae, so I doubt we are recruiting their players very heavily if their best player isn’t getting much recruiting action.

If I recall correctly last time I read none of the players had any division 1 offers. They are a fun team to watch and are coached by former Catawba coach Jim Baker. Although due to this tournament not being sanctioned by NCHSAA they are not allowed to be coached by him, wear the school uniforms, or use the name Central Cabarrus.

To add they are typically undersized against most teams but they win more by playing in their system and being team oriented.

The Curry syndrome again? Not being able to play against bigger competition because you’re undersized? They are succeeding and are undefeated against bigger competition in this tournament

Update: central Cabarrus is now 65 and two over the past two years as they lost in the fourth quarter. Proud of their run.

Been reading some comments from HS hoops evaluators and they are wondering about the dearth of D-I offers, interest, etc. Size probably has something to do with it but I suspect the transfer portal also affecting things as well.

Anyway, nice run to the championship game vs Florida power Christopher Columbus of Miami in The Throne tournament. Columbus’ star player is Cameron Boozer, the 2023 Gatorade national POY.