Chancellor Dubois op-ed on Medical School

I believe 100% this is an attempt at a diversion from the name change discussion.

1 Like

If it is it’s a pretty weak one, but well…

We’ve seen how great their PR attempts can be during the FJR stuff.

The editorial that no one asked for

2 Likes

Phil is the eternal pessimist. Please retire!

2 Likes

Good grief…I am so ready for him to retire.

I say we throw it all back in his face.

University of Charlotte Medical School.

edit: I invite anyone affiliated with the University, or Athletic department to explain why our Chancellor has to be so pompous in dealing with alums or public opinion.

DEAR UNC CHARLOTTE, THIS IS THE TYPE OF THING THAT MAKES PEOPLE MAD ENOUGH TO FLY BANNERS.

How about instead of acting like we are all stupid (women’s soccer attendance be damned) you acknowledge there is a big push for a name change. Instead you make us look small time AGAIN.

Phil has done a hell of a job as a chancellor, really. His PR will be his all time weakness.

“We leave it to future community and university leaders to assess when the constellation of conditions necessary for creation and support of a UNC Charlotte medical school make that opportunity feasible.”

The further I read in the article, the more I felt "Surely the Task Force defined what those future parameters and economic conditions would look like to proceed with formation of the medical school. However, I was disappointed to read the last sentence which kicks the can down the road and will be left for a future generation to figure it out.

Meanwhile, back in Chapel Hill, full steam ahead!

I wonder. I doubt that this was a random thought. Something prompted him to put this out there. I have no idea what.

1 Like

Ignore the article. He’s trying to troll for a debate about the medical school to clumsily distract from the name confuaion debate.

Kinda like Judy firing Price to escape heat from FJR movement? What a damn joke we have as a “leader”

1 Like

CHP had same initial statement regarding football with identical backdrop UNC prick backing him up. How can UNC in good conscience try to set up a satellite medical school type program in Charlotte, NC and believe it’s not stepping on Charlotte’s toes? I think city government should block UNC’s expansion attempts and take a hands off stance. Jerks.

4 Likes

Green envy

Brody School of MedicineBrian Call

In 1974, eastern North Carolina landed the state’s second medical school affiliated with the University of North Carolina System. The decision followed a spirited battle with several other N.C. cities, especially Charlotte, which badly wanted the school. Criticism of the decision still exists in the Queen City. “Putting a medical school in Greenville made about as much sense as putting ice cubes in the Amazon River,” says Dan Morrill, a history professor emeritus at UNC Charlotte.

But only Greenville had Leo Jenkins, who led East Carolina University from 1960-78. The sharp-tongued Marine veteran fought to make ECU part of the UNC System in 1972, then leveraged the east region’s political clout to land the medical school two years later. Rallying support for the Pitt County location from lawmakers across North Carolina proved effective partly because of a general aversion to the “Great State of Mecklenburg.” That’s the enduring view that Charlotte’s interests aren’t connected to the rest of the state because of its proximity to South Carolina — capital Columbia is 70 miles closer than Raleigh — and the Queen City’s relative wealth.

In retrospect, picking Greenville proved to be a masterful decision for the economic health of a vast region that has lagged the rest of the state over the last 50 years. Few leaders in the early ’70s foresaw the decline of the tobacco industry, which then was the dominant force in the east, if not the entire state. Brody School of Medicine — named after financial backers who ran a now-defunct department-store chain — and ECU formed a partnership with Pitt County Memorial Hospital. That hospital has morphed into Vidant Health, which now covers 29 counties with eight medical centers, 12,000 employees and annual revenue of more than $1.7 billion.

Brody students train at Vidant, while more than 300 physicians work at an affiliated university-owned clinic. The medical school also raised the ambitions and profile of ECU, the UNC System’s fourth-largest campus with enrollment of about 29,000.

Charlotte, meanwhile, remains the largest city in the U.S. without a medical school, though dozens of resident physicians train annually at locally based Atrium Health and Novant Health.

2 Likes

Dan Morrill was by far the best, most enjoyable teacher I’ve ever had.

2nd best was my 6th grade teacher

2 Likes

Had him too. Fun class.

I took his classes 4 or 5 times. Hes a character and his passion for Charlotte in unmatched.

1 Like

I hate Phil. Hate em.

To express your opinions:

boardoftrustees@uncc.edu
pdubois@uncc.edu

If you feel so inclined as to go above these people’s heads
public@bog.northcarolina.edu

What a freakin’ joke. Phil SHOULD be ashamed, but I’m sure he couldn’t care any less.

I’m thinking about submitting this to the Observer:

UNC Charlotte Chancellor Philip Dubois’s Special to the Observer from March 22nd now can clearly be seen for what it was, empty rhetoric to cover ineptitude. With the announcement that Atrium Health Care and Wake Forest University will be teaming up to start Charlotte’s first on subsequently only medical school, Dobois’s clear lack of leadership and independence from the UNC System Chapel Hill centric leadership has been fully exposed. Clearly Atrium and Wake Forest don’t agree with Dubois’s assessment that:

“Is the time right to develop one to complement the public medical schools that already exist at UNC-Chapel Hill and East Carolina University? We think not.”

Atrium CEO Gene Woods apparently disagrees with Dubois:

“Phenomenal things can happen when like-minded partners, committed to the same transformative vision, come together in new ways to better serve our patients and communities,”

Apparently UNC Charlotte’s Chancellor and/or his bosses in Chapel Hill aren’t “like-minded partners” with “transformative vision”.

We only need to reference the struggles East Carolina University encountered in the 1970’s starting the Brody School of Medicine to know why he apparently didn’t even try to fight for UNC Charlotte in this case. Luckily ECU had a leader then with transformative vision, Leo Jenkins, who stood up for ECU and eastern North Carolina and fought for better from our state leaders and the UNC System.

Chancellor Dubois is clearly no Leo Jenkins.

We all know Chapel Hill doesn’t want UNC Charlotte to be anything but a diploma mill, but it’s sad that the university leaders apparently seem to agree with them by not standing up for what the University, the city, and the region need, a public medical school.

I am truly ashamed that UNC Charlotte’s leaders are so beholden to the will of Chapel Hill graduates that populate the UNC System Board of Governors that they allow a university from eighty miles away to walk in and do what UNC Charlotte leaders didn’t even have the willpower to try to do.

A Charlotte Medical School is gone forever now and that shame is on the UNC System and UNC Charlotte’s leaders shoulders. Chancellor Dubois and the University Board of Trustees still has one chance left to make a positive change for the future of the university before Dubois retires. They should listen to the results of the Stamats study Dubois commissioned in 2006 and paid $250,000 for and change the name of the university to University of Charlotte.

3 Likes