Chancellor Dubois op-ed on Medical School

clt says surgery will be performed by Amazon drone docs

Dubois was actually at the Spring Game today, or at least his space was occupied by his indoor golf cart. He wisely didn’t show his face though. More than one person I spoke with would have been ready to give him an ear full.

Do you pull for app state in football and unc-chapel hill in basketball?

1 Like

Charlotte Talks from last Friday. Listen around the 18:30 minute mark. Atrium was in talks with UNC Charlotte and the UNC school of medicine. They found if odd the Dubois pulled out due to financial reasons. Dubois has not commented since the Wake announcement to clarify.

2 Likes

They roll Phil under the bus some. Worth a listen.

1 Like

“Just a few weeks ago UNC Chancellor Philip Dubois wrote an article”

This whole thing is weird, the timing, etc. I wonder if they were intentionally trying to create a crisis, to justify legislation that would put UNC SOM in a stronger position with a partnership with Atrium and shut out Wake, to justify the considerable expenditure to keep the med school in public school hands.

Phil has never been savvy enough for something like that.

You listened to his judy rose radio interview right?

Im amazed he didnt start citing graduation rates for our sociology programs to defend not needing a med school.

2 Likes

“Not a done deal: Here’s what’s next for proposed Charlotte med school.”

"Last month, UNCC Chancellor Philip Dubois and the UNC School of Medicine dean wrote an Observer opinion column arguing that now was not the right time for a four-year UNCC medical school. Public and private funding challenges to build such a campus “are simply insurmountable at this time,” Dubois and A. Wesley Burks wrote.

“We leave it to future community and university leaders to assess when the constellation of conditions necessary for creation and support of a UNC Charlotte medical school make that opportunity feasible,” they wrote.

Dubois and Burks stand by their opinion piece, UNCC spokeswoman Buffie Stephens said. Neither Dubois nor Burks knew about Atrium and the Wake groups’ plans when they wrote it, she said.

Dubois was not available for comment, Stephens said."

So Dubois has double downed on his stance against the med school even after learning that Wake is pursuing a deal. Either that is an extremely smart decision not to open the school, or a completely dumb one where he refuses to admit that he made a mistake. We will just have to sit back and wait on the Wake study.

Guess he doesn’t want to be associated with this statement.

“The campus could generate up to $675 million in estimated economic impact annually, according to Umbach”

clt thinks we are going to get involved.

In his 2015 report, Umbach, the consultant, argued that the quickest and best way to develop a four-year medical school in Charlotte was through a partnership between the UNC School of Medicine-Charlotte campus and UNCC.

“It was clear to me during the time when we tried to develop a medical school in partnership with UNC that the leadership in Chapel Hill had very little interest in developing a program that would advance economic development in the Charlotte region,” he said Wednesday.

2 Likes

clt says the UNC board should be disbanded.

Since our University campus is slated to be an emergency hospital, it is high time that our government finally commit to as part of this experience, the creation of an independent medical school program. The initial focus of the new medical program should be viruses and other respiratory illnesses.

7 Likes

I really do like this idea. I was thinking that we may as well use this as an opportunity to expand into medicine in a broader sense, but I like this highly specialized approach.

We lost this one with the Wake/Atrium deal. My daughter works for a consultant company and they have done the work to help complete the deal. I think one key part was the medical hospital and only one in Charlotte. We have heard the story so much from athletics to academics, we are always late to the party. Our leaders are so scared to make big decisions and hopefully the next person will step up to the plate. It seems like Hill understands playing with the big boys while everyone else wants to be second fiddle.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2026/07/10/banking-pearl-powering-charlotte-next-economy.html

1 Like