Chancellor's Student Talk / Student Body Pres State of University

Excerpts I found interesting from the Chancellor’s Student Talk and the Student Body President’s State of the University addresses which happened this morning:

Chancellor

“Health and Wellness Center project is advancing along very well. I hope to take it to Board of Governor’s in May to begin the planning of the facility.”

Question: Union Lot will be gym or science building?
Answer: Union Lot we hope will be able to house both Health and Wellness Center and science building.

Question: Student concerns around sections open for classes, what are the plans to make the quality of life better for students attending classes?
Answer: As we have grown a good bit of money we recieved was actually cut. We took in more students but could not add sections because of cuts. We think now that economy is improving we will be able to add more classes and sections.

Question: With all of the other schools in NC, I feel like we are missing tradition and pride in the school, what are we doing to combat that and instill tradition in the school?
Answer: Over time, what we have to do is change the experience that students have. If we can change their memories we can change how they communicate to others about the institution. It takes time to build traditions.

Question: Why did the dental school went to ECU instead of UNCC? Plans for Dental School in Charlotte?
Answer: I’m afraid right now the dollars for those type of programs just aren’t there right now. Right now it is not in the cards, our focus is on our science building right now.

Student Body President

“I established the Traditions Committee, chaired by Mitch Daratony, to think about what students would like to establish as traditions.”

“As football completed its 2nd successful year, SGA saw the need to change the location of the student tailgating lot. Lot 5, where we tailgated the last two years, was far too isolated from the game day festivities.”

“With support from my cabinet and the Student Senate we proposed to change the lot to the grass field by the football stadium
It was approved, so next year, football tailgates will be a completely different experience.”

“I wanted to talk about the newly adopted mobile application that UNCC is about to roll out. Its called LiveSafe, and is a Blue Light device, like the ones you see all over campus, but on your phone.”

“It will allow you to press a “blue light” on your phone and you will be in direct contact with Campus Police.”

“Over the past 10 years campus has invested more than a billion $ in infrastructure to accommodate our growth.”

Love the idea of having the blue light safety feature on a phone app and I’m sure parents will as well.

"As football completed its 2nd successful year, SGA saw the need to change the location of the student tailgating lot. Lot 5, where we tailgated the last two years, was far too isolated from the game day festivities." - "With support from my cabinet and the Student Senate we proposed to change the lot to the grass field by the football stadium It was approved, so next year, football tailgates will be a completely different experience."

That is outstanding news.

“I established the Traditions Committee, chaired by Mitch Daratony, to think about what students would like to establish as traditions.”

Because that’s how traditions are started, by committees.

"With support from my cabinet and the Student Senate we proposed to change the lot to the grass field by the football stadium

That is awesome!

[quote=“Hooner49, post:4, topic:29500”]“I established the Traditions Committee, chaired by Mitch Daratony, to think about what students would like to establish as traditions.”

Because that’s how traditions are started, by committees.[/quote]

As I High Five Line Committee Member, I reject the sarcasm of this claim.

[quote=“itsbraille49, post:6, topic:29500”][quote=“Hooner49, post:4, topic:29500”]“I established the Traditions Committee, chaired by Mitch Daratony, to think about what students would like to establish as traditions.”

As I High Five Line Committee Member, I reject the sarcasm of this claim.[/quote]As the Director of High Fiver Acquisition of the High Five Line, I will second your rejection and ask for the Vice President of Crossing The Street High Fives to weigh in with his thoughts.

[quote=“Hooner49, post:4, topic:29500”]“I established the Traditions Committee, chaired by Mitch Daratony, to think about what students would like to establish as traditions.”

There is some things that need school support to stay alive…im okay with this.
I wish we had the cardboard boat races that happened in the 90s, and I’d hate to see the 49,000 water ballon fight die out.

[quote=“emf, post:1, topic:29500”]Excerpts I found interesting from the Chancellor’s Student Talk and the Student Body President’s State of the University addresses which happened this morning:

Chancellor

“Health and Wellness Center project is advancing along very well. I hope to take it to Board of Governor’s in May to begin the planning of the facility.”

Question: Union Lot will be gym or science building?
Answer: Union Lot we hope will be able to house both Health and Wellness Center and science building.

Question: Student concerns around sections open for classes, what are the plans to make the quality of life better for students attending classes?
Answer: As we have grown a good bit of money we recieved was actually cut. We took in more students but could not add sections because of cuts. We think now that economy is improving we will be able to add more classes and sections.

Question: With all of the other schools in NC, I feel like we are missing tradition and pride in the school, what are we doing to combat that and instill tradition in the school?
Answer: Over time, what we have to do is change the experience that students have. If we can change their memories we can change how they communicate to others about the institution. It takes time to build traditions.

Question: Why did the dental school went to ECU instead of UNCC? Plans for Dental School in Charlotte?
Answer: I’m afraid right now the dollars for those type of programs just aren’t there right now. Right now it is not in the cards, our focus is on our science building right now.

Student Body President

“As football completed its 2nd successful year, SGA saw the need to change the location of the student tailgating lot. Lot 5, where we tailgated the last two years, was far too isolated from the game day festivities.”

“With support from my cabinet and the Student Senate we proposed to change the lot to the grass field by the football stadium
It was approved, so next year, football tailgates will be a completely different experience.”

“I wanted to talk about the newly adopted mobile application that UNCC is about to roll out. Its called LiveSafe, and is a Blue Light device, like the ones you see all over campus, but on your phone.”

“It will allow you to press a “blue light” on your phone and you will be in direct contact with Campus Police.”

“Over the past 10 years campus has invested more than a billion $ in infrastructure to accommodate our growth.”[/quote]

Wait I heard the new science building was going to be in place of the black lot

Union Lot = Black Lot

BTW, the inclusion of the gym into the science building is a deviation from the master plan. It’s building C in attached image (where Aux Services is now). The master plan says this about it:

“Student Health and Wellness Center – 275,000 GSF student fitness center that provides health, educational, and recreational opportunities to the campus community”

I seem to remember some discussion somewhere of putting in an Olympic-sized pool into it for a swim team.

[quote=“J Felt, post:7, topic:29500”][quote=“itsbraille49, post:6, topic:29500”][quote=“Hooner49, post:4, topic:29500”]“I established the Traditions Committee, chaired by Mitch Daratony, to think about what students would like to establish as traditions.”

As I High Five Line Committee Member, I reject the sarcasm of this claim.[/quote]As the Director of High Fiver Acquisition of the High Five Line, I will second your rejection and ask for the Vice President of Crossing The Street High Fives to weigh in with his thoughts.[/quote]

As Vice President of Crossing The Street High Fives, I hereby express my opinion that while a tradition rooted in committee is not ideal, a committee solely tasked with the creation and implementation of traditions is better than no attempt whatsoever to accomplish said goal.

I concur with my High Five Line Committee colleagues and motion to accept this rejection by acclamation.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:12, topic:29500”][quote=“J Felt, post:7, topic:29500”][quote=“itsbraille49, post:6, topic:29500”][quote=“Hooner49, post:4, topic:29500”]“I established the Traditions Committee, chaired by Mitch Daratony, to think about what students would like to establish as traditions.”

As I High Five Line Committee Member, I reject the sarcasm of this claim.[/quote]As the Director of High Fiver Acquisition of the High Five Line, I will second your rejection and ask for the Vice President of Crossing The Street High Fives to weigh in with his thoughts.[/quote]

As Vice President of Crossing The Street High Fives, I hereby express my opinion that while a tradition rooted in committee is not ideal, a committee solely tasked with the creation and implementation of traditions is better than no attempt whatsoever to accomplish said goal.

I concur with my High Five Line Committee colleagues and motion to accept this rejection by acclamation.[/quote]

Will the Chairman for the High Five Line Sub-Committee of Motion Ratification please have your sub-committee members thoroughly read through the motion before being put on the desk of the High Five Line Notary Public for stamping and certification.

[quote=“itsbraille49, post:13, topic:29500”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:12, topic:29500”][quote=“J Felt, post:7, topic:29500”][quote=“itsbraille49, post:6, topic:29500”][quote=“Hooner49, post:4, topic:29500”]“I established the Traditions Committee, chaired by Mitch Daratony, to think about what students would like to establish as traditions.”

I concur with my High Five Line Committee colleagues and motion to accept this rejection by acclamation.[/quote]

Will the Chairman for the High Five Line Sub-Committee of Motion Ratification please have your sub-committee members thoroughly read through the motion before being put on the desk of the High Five Line Notary Public for stamping and certification.[/quote]

Chairman of the High Five Line Sub-Committee of Motion Ramification reports unanimous approval of the motion and refers the item to the High Five Line Notary Public for stamping and certification pending approval of the full High Five Line Committee.

[quote=“emf, post:11, topic:29500”]BTW, the inclusion of the gym into the science building is a deviation from the master plan. It’s building C in attached image (where Aux Services is now). The master plan says this about it:

“Student Health and Wellness Center – 275,000 GSF student fitness center that provides health, educational, and recreational opportunities to the campus community”

I seem to remember some discussion somewhere of putting in an Olympic-sized pool into it for a swim team.[/quote]

Something tells me moving this beside (attached) to the Science Building will kill any chance for an on-campus natatorium (swim and dive teams). Wonder if Meck Aquatic Center (or University YMCA) can handle the added stress of a Charlotte swim/dive team (Title IX issue with adding football)

all of these new building are nice but there is going to be no parking on campus and i know there are going to be 2 more parking decks added what is lot 6 right now

As we move from our older “commuter school” status and closer to a more traditional campus, I see nothing wrong with restricting parking more.

[quote=“Star Wars Maniac, post:16, topic:29500”]all of these new building are nice but there is going to be no parking on campus and i know there are going to be 2 more parking decks added what is lot 6 right now[/quote]so getting rid of a parking lot that only holds a few hundred cars and replacing it with 2 parking decks that hold a few hundred cars per level = nowhere to park?

I’m not great at math, but it seems that the number of parking spots is increasing, not going down.

The only thing that is going to be hard is once surface lots are gone, cooking at tailgate will be harder. Something else I’m questioning is are they really going to let kids park cars out therein the practice field or will this be a bring your stuff and tailgate type thing

Means we will start being like other schools - tailgate on campus means you have to be a certain level donor.