Chapel Hell Pharmacy School ad in our Student Union Movie Theater

Last Friday night I went to see “Get Him to the Greek” at our movie theater in the Student Union and I noticed that in the ads that run before the movie there was an ad about UNC-Ch’s Pharmacy School. I didn’t get to read the whole ad but I was quite pissed. One of my roommates went to see the same movie last night and also noticed it and was upset as well.

WTF? Someone get that crap removed ASAP!

Did you complain to the management? Complaining here is just preaching to the choir.

Guess they have to pimp their product to justify killing UNCG’s attempt to have their own Pharmacy Program.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:3, topic:23899”]Did you complain to the management? Complaining here is just preaching to the choir.

Guess they have to pimp their product to justify killing UNCG’s attempt to have their own Pharmacy Program.[/quote]

I can see it now…

Management: “I don’t see the problem, we are all unc aren’t we??”

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:3, topic:23899”]Did you complain to the management? Complaining here is just preaching to the choir.

Guess they have to pimp their product to justify killing UNCG’s attempt to have their own Pharmacy Program.[/quote]

By the time the movie was over I had forgotten about it. I’m about to do a comment on the Union’s website(link: http://studentunion.uncc.edu/contact).
Who else should I contact. I have no idea who controls this.

There is nothing you can do, Dave.

What a joke.

Soon we’ll be selling UNC-CH basketball season tickets at our box office too!

While I agree with your sentiments I think you are ignoring the realities. Somebody sold ads in order to provide that move (probably free) to the students. UNC-CH Pharmacy School bought the ad. While there may be a big conspiracy to screw UNC Charlotte, sometimes an advertisement is just an advertisement. Jeez.

Be careful with your clear thinking around here…not everyone can understand such simple ideas. 8)

When I was Marketing Director for the UTimes, we had several ads from other schools (mostly for grad programs or e-learning) because it was part of their campaign and students are their target. A grad program needs to draw from the surrounding under grad population, not just from their affiliated campus.

Would people care if it was an ad from another school?

While I normally dislike CH, in their defense this one time, we only have a 2-year Pharm program, so you have to TRANSFER elsewhere. Most would go to UNC-CH as opposed to private schools like Campbell. I have complained on this board before that we either need to make our Pharm a full program, or cut it altogther so we’re not a feeder program for CH. If you’ll remember, all of you just ignored me.

I’m sorry, did you say something? :stuck_out_tongue:

Student money probably pays for that movie, regardless of that fact, she would sell our souls to save a few bucks? You could use that same justification to sell ad space at Halton to UNC-CH.

Student money probably pays for that movie, regardless of that fact, she would sell our souls to save a few bucks? You could use that same justification to sell ad space at Halton to UNC-CH.[/quote]

Hell, let’s take their money! It’s what they owe us from their unfair share of the UNC System budget anyway. Just wish we could funnel that money directly into athletics!

Student money probably pays for that movie, regardless of that fact, she would sell our souls to save a few bucks? You could use that same justification to sell ad space at Halton to UNC-CH.[/quote]

Hell, let’s take their money! It’s what they owe us from their unfair share of the UNC System budget anyway. Just wish we could funnel that money directly into athletics![/quote] Or a 4 year pharmacy school here

No one sold their soul. It’s not like it was an ad for Tarheel basketball or something that directly competes with UNC Charlotte. It was an ad for a graduate program that we don’t feature. It could have been ECU advertising for Med school, would that have been different or just as bad?

Those ad sells generate some sort of revenue which may be used to cover the licensing for showing the films or paying for the staff.

I got a reply from the comment I sent in. As it turns out its not UNC-CH’s pharm school paying for the ad but rather a student org inviting a UNC-CH faculty on campus to talk about their pharm school.

I was basically told that she couldn’t remove it because it was an ad put up by a student org and it wouldn’t be fair to them. Its BS.

Here is the slide.

[quote]
Dear Matthew,

Thank you for taking the time to respond with your concern about the Student Union Digital Signage you saw in the movie theater.

The slide in question is actually a UNC Charlotte event sponsored by the UNCC Pre-Pharmacy Student Association, who is hosting an information event open to any UNCC student interested in a pharmacy career and pharmacy graduate school. Yes, the guest is a faculty member of UNC-CH; however, since UNCC does not currently have its own pharmacy graduate program or medical school, there is no immediate conflict of interest. But, more importantly, the Student Union would not tell another UNC Charlotte registered student organization that their slide could not be allowed for display b/c their event speaker came from another school — that would not be right or fair to our student organizations.

If the event were NOT sponsored by a UNCC student organization or a UNCC campus department, you can rest assured we would not broadcast the announcement. Feel free to learn more about our digital signage policy at http://studentunion.uncc.edu/services/marketing/digitalsignage .

Again, we appreciate your attention to the digital signage as well as your loyalty to UNC Charlotte. Meanwhile, I’ve attached a copy of the slide in question; if this is not the slide you are referring to, please let us know. If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me directly at your convenience.

Best regards,
~ Lyndsay

[quote/]

why is it BS?

Because it is essentially an ad for the UNC-CH Pharm program on our campus and it can’t be removed.

Well CharlotteSAA2013, your next step is to contact the student organization in question and tell them how sad you are that they are promoting another University’s grad program instead of working hard to establish a Pharmacy School at UNC Charlotte. You should also tell them that the color of this slide, despite the speaker’s school being represented, is inappropriate for a UNC Charlotte Student Organization to use.