Chapel Hill Email Chain at work

[font=calibri]This chain was in response to Chapel Hill fans at work complaining about the refs last night and blaming them for their loss. I just included the last 3 parts, start at the bottom. Thought I would share![/font]

[font=calibri]I root for the school whose name is on the diploma that hangs on my wall. Sure I could have bought a Duke or UNC-Chapel Hill shirt at Walmart, but I am the rare creature who takes pride in the school where they went. [/font]

[font=calibri]I won’t argue against the dominance that Duke and UNC-Chapel have shown over the last 30 years. I have no problems with graduates of either school (which Eric I know you are) but I will happily take shots at all the “fans” who simply like to pull for a winner and say “Us” and “We” when referencing their favorite team. Trust me it would be far easier to go buy that Walmart shirt that says UNC on it than put blood sweat and tears into another program. I mean how hard is it really to pull for teams that win titles on a regular basis?? I grew up a UNC Chapel Hill fan so I understand the rivalry – but how weak are those who turn their backs on their Alma Mater to simply pull for a winner? Take pride in YOUR school, the one YOU went to. [/font]

[font=calibri]Because they are two of the best programs in the NCAA the refs look after each of them. Some of the calls Duke got in the championship last year were insane and UNC Chapel Hill fans get calls night in and night out. Trust me I witnessed two games stolen from my Charlotte 49ers by the refs vs. Chapel Hill. One was on the NCAA tourney where the NCAA wants the big guys to get to the Final Four for TV ratings and the other was in the Dean Dome where the refs are most def going to be in the Heels back pocket. Fact is when you play Kentucky, Chapel Hill, Duke and some of the other schools the refs will look out for the big guys. If the under dog doesn’t have a 10 point lead with 60 seconds to go the refs are going to do what ever they have to help the NCAA cash machines win. You can’t just be a little better than the big guys on those nights – you have to be MUCH better.[/font]

[font=calibri]So basically what I am saying is you want to talk trash that’s fine but don’t shoot off at the mouth to an alum of another school if you just “adopted” a team because they are winners. The path to greatness is much sweeter when it is YOUR school – not just a shirt from Walmart. [/font]

Subject: RE: Good Morning

Ahhh!!! you sir are a rare creature an ABC’er and a Dook hater all rolled up into one big ball of venom and vitriol………

You have to understand the nature of the rivalry, unless the game is a complete blowout i.e last year, then in a close game the refs become more important to the outcome and therefore the calls are going to be more highly scrutinized.

But for you I guess it must be tough to be on the outside looking in as the two greatest programs in NCAA history continue to dominate the landscape….

Who do you root for by the way??

[font=calibri]UNC-Chapel Hill fans complaining about refs? Isn’t that like a fox complaining about another fox in the hen house? [/font]

[font=calibri]Do I need to run a list on the games UNC-Chapel Hill has won because of the refs? I am not sure there is a program in the nation that gets as many calls as the baby blue night in and night out. The zebras have helped UNC-Chapel-Hill win plenty of games. So even IF the calls went against UNC-Chapel Hill last night there is no way it is going to even up the number of games that have been stolen from other teams over the past 5, 10, 15, 20 years. [/font]

A f***ing MEN!

Ouchie. Wupass laid the verbal smackdown on someone this morning. I’m guessing they didn’t see it coming, either. ;D

Haha: "…the two greatest programs in NCAA history…"
Umm… ::slight_smile:

& people are sending this at work why?

I tried to go to Bikini’s after the girl’s game, but it was full. I forgot Dookie & Crapple Hill were playing. Ugh!

Wupass, you continue to be one of my favorite fellow Niner fans. That e-mail chain echoes a couple of Facebook conversations I had with some “Fans” last night/this morning. Well done.

Replies like that prove that there IS, in fact, a relatively polite way of saying “Look here, MotherF****r…”

Wupass is a legend of Niner Nation. He owns the best Niner shirt I have ever seen.

Oh, I’m well aware. I’ve been around here for quite a while (though I really didn’t start posting super often until the last 2 or 3 years).

Other than one Gaston College graduate saying something I effectively shut down the email discussion. Here is the end of it…

[font=calibri]And I don’t have a problem with fans of said schools. My problem is the idiot in the UNC shirt lecturing to me how great Chapel Hill and running down my school and when I ask where he went he says “I aint go to no college but I been a Carolina fan all my life.” Trust me this is 85% of gaston county. Or the people who are App fans in football and Chapel Hill fans in basketball. I mean really? Pick something and deal with it. Put some passion into something and don’t just follow a winner.[/font]

[font=calibri]So be a fan if you want, that is fine. But my two rules are if you went to another university take pride in that and if you didn’t ACTUALLY go to the school for the team you are a fan of back off the trash talk to graduates of other schools who are showing loyalty to their alma mater. [/font]

[font=calibri]The test for me is UT Chatt plays USC in basketball – who do you want to win? The place where you spent your time whose diploma hangs on your wall or the school that is just a hollow representation of your childhood who has done nothing for you? Pull for USC the rest of the time – that is fine, but remember a big win by your Alma Mater increases the value of YOUR diploma. A win by USC does nothing for you.[/font]

[font=calibri]I am a Gamecock at heart and went to UT Chattanooga. I grew up a Gamecock and will always be one the bloodlines between SC and Chat are nowhere close. [/font]

Bryan

I can understand that view, but I think that is a bit myopic in the grand scheme of things. It is a reality in the world of sports. How many fans of say the Cowboys, Steelers, Lakers, Bulls (MJ’s Bulls) Yankees, or Red Sox are actually from those cities or work for those organizations or even as much attended a game that they have played? A very small number in relation to the fan base I would think.

Every fan base has their lunatic fringe and they are usually a very vocal minority but they are always the fans that you see depicted when describing the fan base….

Other than one Gaston College graduate saying something I effectively shut down the email discussion. Here is the end of it…

[font=calibri]And I don’t have a problem with fans of said schools. My problem is the idiot in the UNC shirt lecturing to me how great Chapel Hill and running down my school and when I ask where he went he says “I aint go to no college but I been a Carolina fan all my life.” Trust me this is 85% of gaston county. Or the people who are App fans in football and Chapel Hill fans in basketball. I mean really? Pick something and deal with it. Put some passion into something and don’t just follow a winner.[/font]

[font=calibri]So be a fan if you want, that is fine. But my two rules are if you went to another university take pride in that and if you didn’t ACTUALLY go to the school for the team you are a fan of back off the trash talk to graduates of other schools who are showing loyalty to their alma mater. [/font]

[font=calibri]The test for me is UT Chatt plays USC in basketball – who do you want to win? The place where you spent your time whose diploma hangs on your wall or the school that is just a hollow representation of your childhood who has done nothing for you? Pull for USC the rest of the time – that is fine, but remember a big win by your Alma Mater increases the value of YOUR diploma. A win by USC does nothing for you.[/font]

[font=calibri]I am a Gamecock at heart and went to UT Chattanooga. I grew up a Gamecock and will always be one the bloodlines between SC and Chat are nowhere close. [/font]

Bryan

I can understand that view, but I think that is a bit myopic in the grand scheme of things. It is a reality in the world of sports. How many fans of say the Cowboys, Steelers, Lakers, Bulls (MJ’s Bulls) Yankees, or Red Sox are actually from those cities or work for those organizations or even as much attended a game that they have played? A very small number in relation to the fan base I would think.

Every fan base has their lunatic fringe and they are usually a very vocal minority but they are always the fans that you see depicted when describing the fan base….[/quote]
Well played sir…and using pro teams was a terrible analogy by that guy…there are only like 30 or so cities with teams, of course people may not be from those cities. But there are over 4,000 colleges and you can actually attend a college