Chapel Hill to Charlotte

After my donations are done to the Harris House, I’m done. Heck, I may pay that off next spring and be outta here.

Why don’t all of you in the area get together and set an appointment to all see DuBois in person?

He should have a policy to make time for alumni and students, especially if 10 of you together want to meet him. Sending an email is too impersonal that won’t really bother him.

Then in person you can ask him why Chapel Hill should have a med school, but we can’t. The Board of Governors may play a much bigger role in this. Or maybe DuBois won’t have a good answer. But if you ask in person, it won’t be so easy for him to talk his way out of question.

And if he won’t meet you, call the four major TV stations and state you’re going to do a publicity ploy. DuBois refuses to meet his own constituents. Some should bite as it could be a little controversial. Then you can stand outside of the Chancellor’s house in suits (or nicely dressed) with the cameras giving interviews as to why DuBois isn’t listening to Alumni and Students.

But if you’re so mad, for God’s sake, don’t just email the guy. I’d be one of the first on his lawn if I actually lived in the area.

I come back from vacation and this is what I have to hear about?? Welcome back… sheesh.

Some things I agree with and additional points (and, these are painfully obvious):

*“13th in funding” is exactly why you go after things/projects like this… to obtain that additional funding. Can someone explain that to our chancellor? You know, spend money to make money? It’s called “AN INVESTMENT” in our future. Funding is partially allocated to the university on the amount and level of programs/degrees it has.

*Also, if he keeps listing “#13” as a reason NOT to compete with Chapel Hill or other institutions for a medical school, law school, or anything else in our own backyard, then why would the board of governors actually give him the money to move up from #13…? Half of them are Chapel Hill alumni. (I listed the distribution by school/alumni on another thread.) They are perfectly happy to not be forced to compete with us for anything. Either now or later… Why help us? What’s the benefit to them? … not being able to set up shop in the most economically rich region in the state… our own backyard.

*We didn’t hire a new chancellor to accept the status quo. Where the hell is Woodward when you need him? Growing up in my family, when I told my parents I [I]couldn’t [/I]do something as the [I]reason[/I] for not doing something (Dubois: “We CAN’T… We’re 13th in funding.”) My father always said, “Can’t never could.” Is there any reason why we can’t TRY, Chanc. Dubois? Can you please go over there, press some palms, and just give it a freakin’ shot?

*This is a HUGE slap directly upon the face of this institution, the leadership of this institution, the alumni, the students, and the university community. It doesn’t even appear as if Chapel Hill even thought to consider UNC Charlotte at all. Not even so much as an afterthought… let alone before.

*For all the respect Dubois gives Chapel Hill, he gets ABSOLUTELY NOTHING back in return… not even a return in amount of respect.

*I swear, Chapel Hill owns this state… They feast while the other institutions STARVE. And, unless the chancellors of this and other institutions step up and take some chances, this is how it will always be.

And, forget emailing the chancellor… Not sure if it’s really productive because he never admits a mistake and/or changes his position on anything. I am contacting Erskine Bowles, a Chapel Hill grad, to see what his excuse for this mess in his “equitable system” is…

One last thing:
[B][SIZE=4]CHAPEL HILL, GET THE HELL OUT OF CHARLOTTE!![/SIZE][/B]

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;203513]
One last thing:
[B][SIZE=4]CHAPEL HILL, GET THE HELL OUT OF CHARLOTTE!![/SIZE][/B][/QUOTE]

Bravo

Dubois is killing what little loyalty this University already has from its alumni. David Dunn, are you listening?

Dubois is killing what little loyalty this University already has from its alumni. David Dunn, are you listening?

This is the truth. This is a deal breaker for me.

It’s hard to help a university that won’t help itself.

It's hard to help a university that won't help itself.

or an athletics department

Holy dear God, sweet Jesus.

This thought just occured to me and now I’m in a panic.

How is Chapel Hill going to call its Charlotte campus? For all its administrative purposes, it’s going to have to differentiate between the two locations. A list of med school professors may be listed under either ‘UNC - Chapel Hill’ or ‘UNC - Charlotte’. Logically, the Charlotte Campus for a school that calls itself ‘UNC’ would be ‘UNC-Charlotte’.

Is there really going to be a ‘UNC-Charlotte’ in a city with a ‘UNC Charlotte’??? :wacko: :hammer:

This can’t be true. This just can’t be happening!

I am going to have to tell my buddies this week that my university just spent $250,000 and counting to get someone to tell them that the school’s name should NOT be changed just prior to breaking news that UNC has announced plans to create a UNC-Charlotte campus.

This is all a joke, right? Or a dream? Am I on candid camera?

At least my chancellor finds the news “exciting”.

[QUOTE=survivor45;203542]How is Chapel Hill going to call its Charlotte campus?[/QUOTE]
[SIZE=5][B][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]The Dubois Center of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill[/COLOR]
aka DUNC[/B][/SIZE]

[SIZE=5][B][COLOR=deepskyblue]The Dubois Center of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill[/COLOR][/B] [B]aka DUNC[/B][/SIZE]

Easy, man… You’re going to get Dubois over-excited.

We need a smiley that is racing around with its arms waving frantically while screaming and laughing and crying all at the same time.

Better him than me, my blood pressure is way up at the moment. I’m close to burning up 30 years of loyalty.

Let’s go ahead and put the traditional statue up in front of the building too.

clt asks the older niner alumni if they can remember a worse fall.

What’s old? At 48 and one of the elderly ones here, I’d say it’s an all time hit to me. At this moment, I’m mad, hurt and feeling several other emotions towards the administration.

It’s become much larger than a football issue to me personally now.

We need to seriously speak out against this. This is the beginning of the end if it happens. That is effing ridiculous. RIDICULOUS.

I have decided that all future donations will no longer go to UNC Charlotte, rather to UNC Chapel Hill since it seems they are the only Univestisty in the UNC system able to get shit done in the city of Charlotte.

Join me.

I have decided that all future donations will no longer go to UNC Charlotte, rather to UNC Chapel Hill since it seems they are the only Univestisty in the UNC system able to get shit done in the city of Charlotte.

Join me.

s9er - Are you really Phil Dubois? :wink:

This is exactly the scenario Dubois wants. That would be contributing to the system he admires and not contributing to the idea of a school trying to stand on its own. If we all started donating to the flagship campus and stopped trying to promote the idea of academic autonomy at Charlotte - then he would proudly feel like the person who set it in motion.

He’s winning.

did UNC pay Dubois millions to pursue a job at Charlotte? hmm…