Chapel Hill to Charlotte

Apparently getting a med school in the city of Charlotte isn’t in Duobois plan, but it is in Chapel Hill’s.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/living/health/16169461.htm

Dubois can’t focus on the needs of a stadium while other programs need to develop, but Chapel Hill can develop a medical campus 2.5 hours away, AND renovate a stadium at a cost that most of us aren’t expecting to have one built at.

http://www.newsobserver.com/734/story/517866.html

I like to think of myself as one of the optimist on this board…one who thinks it is never really as bad as most lead you to believe…but this one just really pissed me off…

http://www.wral.com/news/10468227/detail.html?rss=ral&psp=apncnews

WTF!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? What do we have to do to get some leadership at this university that have a little balls and are willing to take the risks needed to advance our school?

It is no secret that Carolinas Medical Center has been wanting a med school in charlotte for a LONG TIME. This is something I have followed for the past 5 or 6 years. Both my wife and I graduated from the college of health and human services…and it is also no secret that there is/was grumblings among faculty about the need and desire for a school of medicine.

THE NEED IS THERE…THE DESIRE IS THERE…THE PARTNERSHIP IS THERE!!! So what happens? Chapel Hill will end up having a branch in our own ****ing back yard!!!

The lack of vision from University…city…and county leaders is very disturbing. The upside to having a school of medicine in Charlotte is tremendous. It only makes sense to have it be part of our University. Instead…leadership is concerned with opening the flood gates on student enrollment and having a choo-choo run through mecklenburg county!

For a school that was founded on the fighting spirit of Bonnie Cone…some one who poured her sweat and blood into making her dream a reality…It is sad to now see leadership who seem so willing to take it in the rear and run with the status quo! We have lost that drive that Ms Cone brought to the institution.

I have lost my drive to support the Univeristy Leadership!

Sorry ninerid…didnt see your thread

Sorry ninerid....didnt see your thread

Its cool. Admins please put my post behind Cass’ in this thread to reduce threads.

If this happens I hope the entire administration is run out of town. All the talk about focusing on the acedemic side of the house as oppesed to the Football idea is fine with me if they actually do something. I saw this news and nearly puked. This is unacceptable to even be mentioned as a possibility.

Talk about an identity crisis? Just wait till CH gets a campus in our back yard that instantly has more cred than anything we do.

This sucks.

I realize that the legislature has to vote on such matters for a full medical school at the university but I’d like to know if we’ve even been pursuing it, and if not why.

If the medical school in Chapel Hell gets this there will be little to no use for Charlotte to have a medical school. Then the only thing left is a lawschool, and Chapel Hell won’t ever let that happen.

From the report from Charlotte Biz Journal regarding the UNC Chapel Hill at Charlotte Med School :-)…

[QUOTE] There is also a possibility of working with UNC Charlotte locally on this project, Tarwater says.
But that is part of the 18-month exploration process. UNC Charlotte Chancellor Phil Dubois will be included in discussions, he says.
Carolinas HealthCare officials caution that this is merely the first step on what could be a long road to fruition.
[/QUOTE]

I think we need to email Dr. Phil telling him to take as much involvement on this as possible or he will have Chapel Hill in our bckyard. AND if he thinks that the UNC School System is such a family, then why would this be credited to Crap ole Hill?!?!?

There is also a possibility of working with UNC Charlotte locally on this project, Tarwater says. But that is part of the 18-month exploration process. UNC Charlotte Chancellor Phil Dubois will be included in discussions, he says. Carolinas HealthCare officials caution that this is merely the first step on what could be a long road to fruition.

Well isn’t that kind of them. Thanks so much for throwing us a bone. :rolleyes:

I have emailed the chacellor about this.

Apparently getting a med school in the city of Charlotte isn't in Duobois plan, but it is in Chapel Hill's.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/living/health/16169461.htm

Dubois can’t focus on the needs of a stadium while other programs need to develop, but Chapel Hill can develop a medical campus 2.5 hours away, AND renovate a stadium at a cost that most of us aren’t expecting to have one built at.

http://www.newsobserver.com/734/story/517866.html

Grrrrr…

After I read the article NinerID has linked … I was ready to stab someone in the administration. Alarm bells should be ringing - this is what happens when a school forsakes academic autonomy in order to support the system. We miss opportunities and another school will take advantage.

This is the way your system is supposed to work, Dubois? There is a doctor shortage in Charlotte so the appropriate school in the system is supposed to get the med school, right Dubois? We’re supposed to kiss the asses of all the UNC system leaders and UNC Charlotte will benefit, is that correct Dubois?

So why the hell is the UNC system exploring giving Chapel Hill a goddamn med school campus in Charlotte? Why the **** is Dubois and everyone else not fighting for the school? That coward chancellor of ours should be run out on a rail - and not the $900 million rail he wants taxpayers to pay for.

I like the original link better, but here is the updated link with our chancellor trying to put a positive spin on getting f***** up the ass by the system once again.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/living/health/16173604.htm

[B]Dubois is not the right man for where UNC Charlotte is today. I am sorry but it is true. [/B]

He keeps playing the 13th in funding card, when the same people that fund Chapel Hill’s move to Charlotte, would fund Charlotte’s move to a med school it doesn’t make any sense to play the funding card.

Dubois looks at this as a way to increase biology and nursing, not to actually expand. I see it as the same way the NC Research institute is going, last week there was an article in the charlotte O about how Chapel Hill and State will benefit, we weren’t mentioned.

We really are the bitch of the two states.
In the last year…

UNC-Ch announces they want to have a satellite campus to their medical school (I thought our campus was their satellite as it was).

The NC Research Campus has a huge UNC-Ch, NCSU, and Duke presence but minimal UNC Charlotte presence.

There is now a Law School here that isn’t ours.

USC-C is building an uptown presence.

Only thing missing is Queen’s University going DI in athletics and starting football. Who am I kidding, that’s in 3, 2, 1…

Dubois is not a coward.
He is doing what he thinks needs to be done.
That is the problem!!! Why is someone with no
concern for our University in his position?!!!
Really, can anyone tell me why?
What can we do? I am losing the
University I graduated from.

clt says to blow the whole f-in thing up.

just turn the whole campus into an official satellite campus of unc-ch and unc-r like iupui in indy.

clt gives up.

He keeps playing the 13th in funding card, when the same people that fund Chapel Hill's move to Charlotte, would fund Charlotte's move to a med school it doesn't make any sense to play the funding card.

Apparantly, Dubois is shooting for 14th, 15th, or 16th in funding. That’s the only explaination for passing on the opportunity to receive funds from the state for a med school ‘because we are 13th in funding’.

It must be hard being Phil Dubois. I’m sure his major concerns are things like - what color tie he should wear when he is sucking up to the UNC board of governors - or - how to squeeze as many cliches and ambiguous comments in a ceremony in his honor - or - how to positively spin doing absolutely nothing for a university that is paying him to be its chancellor.

I’m sure it’s a pain in the ass dealing with students and alumni who give a damn. At least he’s good at placing blame on us - I’m sure he’ll tie the missed opportunity on the med school to poor basketball attendance or something.

At least Bonnie Cone isn’t around anymore to give him trouble. I would hope to imagine that she would be raising quite a stink right about now. The school was her baby and she would fight as hard as she could for us - even back in the day when one of the main buildings on campus was a barn. I’m sure she would have been raising quite a fuss on the school’s behalf right now, even as the UNC board of directors pressure her to keep her mouth shut.

Discuss
Talk
Review
Explore
Analize

That is all Phil and his crew running the school ever propose doing… I want some feckin ACTION every now and again. Quit standing on the sideline, make something/anything happen.

Plans and Visions don’t mean shit if we don’t take the plunge.

[QUOTE=s9er;203494]Discuss
Talk
Review
Explore
Analize

That is all Phil and his crew running the school ever propose doing… I want some feckin ACTION every now and again. Quit standing on the sideline, make something/anything happen.

Plans and Visions don’t mean shit if we don’t take the plunge.[/QUOTE]

Could not have said it any better…I am SO TIRED of hearing those few spin words over and over. How many years of Exploring and Reviewing do we need before we make a move?

[B]Let’s review Phil Dubois Year One

[/B] 1) Allowed students to leave on Thursdays rather than Friday, making us even more of a suitcase school. Then didn’t have the sense to change the exam schedule until 3 weeks prior to exams.

1. Wrote an editorial in the Charlotte Observer.

2. Got us closer to our own Uptown building by colaborating with Jim Black, and stroking the Light Rail team.

clt thinks light rail is terribly important for the region and is pleased to see it coming our way…but it isnt as important as:

football
name change
med or law school
being properly funded
etc

[B]Let's review Phil Dubois Year One[/B]
  1. Allowed students to leave on Thursdays rather than Friday, making us even more of a suitcase school. Then didn’t have the sense to change the exam schedule until 3 weeks prior to exams.

2. Wrote an editorial in the Charlotte Observer.

3. Got us closer to our own Uptown building by colaborating with Jim Black, and stroking the Light Rail team.

Let us not forget “The List”.

What a joke.

[QUOTE]So, as I begin, permit me to take you back to February to the time of my Installation as the fourth Chancellor of UNC Charlotte. I know that many of you sat down after the Installation with yellow highlighter pens to identify specific actions or initiatives that might be anticipated. What is this guy up to anyway? Well, I know I did!

[LEFT]And I found, to my shock and awe, that I had identified 55 specific issues that I believe
need to be addressed in the years ahead.[/QUOTE]

http://www.administration.uncc.edu/chancellor/convocation/media/2006/text/2006_Convocation.pdf[/LEFT]