Charlotte Athletics Fun Facts

A friend of mine is working on a project and needs some fun facts about Charlotte athletics. Care to help?

[ul][li][size=10px]In 1946 CC UNC fielded a football team; the school’s very first athletic program. They were called the “Charlotte Owls” because classes at that time were taught at night.[/size][/li]
[li][size=10px]The nickname “49ers” derives from the fact that CC UNC was saved from being shut down by the state in 1949.[/size][/li]
[li][size=10px]Football will return to Charlotte in 2013 as an FCS [/size][size=10px]Independent[/size][size=10px] and will move to FBS Conference USA 2 years later, the shortest amount of time allowed by the NCAA.[/size][/li]
[li][size=10px]Men’s basketball has been to the NCAA tournament 11 times including a trip to the Final Four in 1977.[/size][/li]
[li][size=10px]Baseball has been to the NCAA tournament 5 times. In 2011, Charlotte was one of only seven teams in college baseball with a winning percentage better than 70 percent over the previous six seasons.[/size][/li]
[li][size=10px]Golf was the first ever Charlotte varsity program to be ranked #1 in the nation by three major polls (Fall 2007).[/size][/li]
[li][size=10px]Since 2004, women’s basketball has been to the postseason for 9 straight seasons.[/size][/li]
[li][size=10px]In 2011, men’s soccer became the 1st Charlotte program to reach a national championship game. Charlotte was ranked in the top 25 the entire season.[/size][/li][/ul]

You missed one:

[ul][li]Hunter Thompson attended many athletics events both before during and after his UNC Charlotte Academic Career.[/li][/ul]

Mens soccer made another final four in the 90s. 1994 I believe.

Cornbread Maxwell won the 1981 NBA Finals MVP.

The school’s mascots nickname is Normmmmmmm.

Steph Curry got teabagged by Charlie Coley.

[quote=“Hooner49, post:1, topic:26928”]A friend of mine is working on a project and needs some fun facts about Charlotte athletics. Care to help?

[ul][li][size=10px]In 1946 CC UNC fielded a football team; the school’s very first athletic program. They were called the “Charlotte Owls” because classes at that time were taught at night.[/size][/li]
[li][size=10px]The nickname “49ers” derives from the fact that CC UNC was saved from being shut down by the state in 1949.[/size][/li]
[li][size=10px]Football will return to Charlotte in 2013 as an FCS [/size][size=10px]Independent[/size][size=10px] and will move to FBS Conference USA 2 years later, the shortest amount of time allowed by the NCAA.[/size][/li]
[li][size=10px]Men’s basketball has been to the NCAA tournament 11 times including a trip to the Final Four in 1977.[/size][/li]
[li][size=10px]Baseball has been to the NCAA tournament 5 times. In 2011, Charlotte was one of only seven teams in college baseball with a winning percentage better than 70 percent over the previous six seasons.[/size][/li]
[li][size=10px]Golf was the first ever Charlotte varsity program to be ranked #1 in the nation by three major polls (Fall 2007).[/size][/li]
[li][size=10px]Since 2004, women’s basketball has been to the postseason for 9 straight seasons.[/size][/li]
[li][size=10px]In 2011, men’s soccer became the 1st Charlotte program to reach a national championship game. Charlotte was ranked in the top 25 the entire season.[/size][/li][/ul][/quote]

Women have a 10-year postseason streak starting in 2003.

Tim Collie.

clt provides one: malik el tamir starred at Charlotte.

1996, I digitized the tape today. Not a pretty game.

[quote=“Hooner49, post:1, topic:26928”]A friend of mine is working on a project and needs some fun facts about Charlotte athletics. Care to help?

[ul][li][size=10px]In 1946 CC UNC fielded a football team; the school’s very first athletic program. They were called the “Charlotte Owls” because classes at that time were taught at night.[/size][/li][/ul][/quote]

But they never played a game.

[quote=“49timesthelovin, post:8, topic:26928”][quote=“Hooner49, post:1, topic:26928”]A friend of mine is working on a project and needs some fun facts about Charlotte athletics. Care to help?

[ul][li][size=10px]In 1946 CC UNC fielded a football team; the school’s very first athletic program. They were called the “Charlotte Owls” because classes at that time were taught at night.[/size][/li][/ul][/quote]

But they never played a game.[/quote]
What do you mean they never played a game? They were 2-4 in their only season.

[quote=“49timesthelovin, post:8, topic:26928”][quote=“Hooner49, post:1, topic:26928”]A friend of mine is working on a project and needs some fun facts about Charlotte athletics. Care to help?

But they never played a game.[/quote]

Fail…yes, they did.

Men’s golf has made 8 straight NCAA tourneys, so far.

bonnie cone’s son was the only charlotte owl to ever get killed playing football. and does anybody remember his name?

Charlotte went undefeated in football in 2013, our first season.

Joe “Dead Meat” Cone

Haha Bonnie the virgin had a son?

Joe “Dead Meat” Cone[/quote]

:stuck_out_tongue: :))

His name was Kim Jong Cone. Duh?