Charlotte Authorized to Raise $129 M

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/07/18/5047273/unc-charlotte-can-raise-129million.html#.U8vTYfldWSo

Fastest growing campus in the state with expectations of 35,000 students in just 6 years. That’s 30% growth. I wonder if we will see the same growth in student attendance at Niner sporting events.

Hoping that the excitement of being part of a new football program keeps students involved in the university many years from now. Alumni attending during the Final Four and 90’s and early 00’s have a much higher rate of participation in Niner athletics. Will starting football have a similar effect?

A growing university and alumni base is the best thing we have going for us in terms of athletic support right now.

[quote=“ninermike, post:1, topic:28897”]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/07/18/5047273/unc-charlotte-can-raise-129million.html#.U8vTYfldWSo

Fastest growing campus in the state with expectations of 35,000 students in just 6 years. That’s 30% growth. I wonder if we will see the same growth in student attendance at Niner sporting events.

Hoping that the excitement of being part of a new football program keeps students involved in the university many years from now. Alumni attending during the Final Four and 90’s and early 00’s have a much higher rate of participation in Niner athletics. Will starting football have a similar effect?

A growing university and alumni base is the best thing we have going for us in terms of athletic support right now.
[/quote]

This is true. We really need the AD to come out of the late 80s though and start operating like the large organization they are. It means small things like not all going to lunch at the same time so that there is always someone in the office, to large things like changing the way they view fundraising, to more relationship building and cultivating new donors the minute they graduate. We have a great opportunity in front of us but we have to seize it. If we operate the next 20 years like we have the last 20 years we will be sitting here 20 years from now wondering how we missed the boat… again.

http://www.carolinapublicpress.org/19763/unca-wcu-improvements-authorized-by-mccrory

Amounts by university given here. Vast majority of $376M total going to ECU ($156M) and Charlotte ($129M)

Is Phil responsible for us landing a much larger portion of the money? If so, he deserves some recognition.

Thats great news, but seriously?

Reynolds Coliseum at N.C. State will get a $35 million facelift.

They got a state funded new arena in 2001, but that wasnt enough? Now theyre gonna get all that funding to renovate a gym they dont use?

We could expand The Rich and/or refurb Halton for $35Mil.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:5, topic:28897”]Thats great news, but seriously?

They got a state funded new arena in 2001, but that wasnt enough? Now theyre gonna get all that funding to renovate a gym they dont use?

We could expand The Rich and/or refurb Halton for $35Mil.[/quote]

Part of the reason why I can’t become a Hurricanes fan is they play in that damn arena. Raleigh wouldn’t help pay for the Charlotte arena, but all state tax payers paid for theirs. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:5, topic:28897”]Thats great news, but seriously?

We could expand The Rich and/or refurb Halton for $35Mil.[/quote]

State kept Girl’s Basketball and Volleyball in Reynolds, so I’m that’s the justification.

Our institution continues to be transformed. The Triangle’s fears are being realized.

I think you’ll see the announcement of a new fundraising campaign soon as well. The “It Takes a Gift” campaign ran from 2000-2005 and raised around $117M IIRC. It’s about time to do it again. Hopefully our alumni step and take some ownership instead of waiting on others to do it for them.

If the state isn’t supplying the $ then why did they have to pass a bill? I can see why they had to pass a bill to increase student fees but what does that have to do with fundraising???

The State is involved in construction projects no matter where the money comes from.

clt says UNC Cheat was approved for an AFAM/Athletics building.

It’s too bad future students will have to pay more in fees.

Well NC is #42 of the 50 states and D.C. in the cost of a public university education so even with this increase it is a bargain.

https://trends.collegeboard.org/college-pricing/figures-tables/tuition-and-fees-sector-and-state-over-time

The increase in fees sucks for students in the future, but that is the way the game is played. Hopefully our AD will stop sucking at the teet of students fees and start supporting themselves, if that happens at least there can be some relief to the students.

Well NC is #42 of the 50 states and D.C. in the cost of a public university education so even with this increase it is a bargain.

https://trends.collegeboard.org/college-pricing/figures-tables/tuition-and-fees-sector-and-state-over-time[/quote]Yes, but we have to stop using that as justification. People come to school here from out of state because we are affordable. We don’t want to make ourselves unattractive to those people in the future by continually increasing fees.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:14, topic:28897”]The increase in fees sucks for students in the future, but that is the way the game is played. Hopefully our AD will stop sucking at the teet of students fees and start supporting themselves, if that happens at least there can be some relief to the students.[/quote]I’m not sure this had much to do with the AD. Most, if not all, of the projects are non-athletic.

https://trends.collegeboard.org/college-pricing/figures-tables/tuition-and-fees-sector-and-state-over-time[/quote]Yes, but we have to stop using that as justification. People come to school here from out of state because we are affordable. We don’t want to make ourselves unattractive to those people in the future by continually increasing fees.[/quote]

That and with so many students going into large debt to pay for school they shouldn’t be financing student fees that they have to pay back at some interest rate over the next 20 years.

I don’t mind fees, just think we need to be smart about them and not use them as the go to source of income to finance everything we want to do. The long term goal for athletics specifically, but the entire school should be to lower the fees by increasing the donor base and expanding the relationships with the Charlotte community.

Correct - but this fee will go on top of the athletic fees we have. If we can knock down some of the athletic fees it wouldn’t make increase in fees like this one hit the students quite so hard.

https://trends.collegeboard.org/college-pricing/figures-tables/tuition-and-fees-sector-and-state-over-time[/quote]Yes, but we have to stop using that as justification. People come to school here from out of state because we are affordable. We don’t want to make ourselves unattractive to those people in the future by continually increasing fees.[/quote]

That and with so many students going into large debt to pay for school they shouldn’t be financing student fees that they have to pay back at some interest rate over the next 20 years.

I don’t mind fees, just think we need to be smart about them and not use them as the go to source of income to finance everything we want to do. The long term goal for athletics specifically, but the entire school should be to lower the fees by increasing the donor base and expanding the relationships with the Charlotte community.[/quote]

The fee is going up by $50. At 27k students, that’s $1.35M annually. Could we raise that instead? We have over 100k alumni now. Every little bit helps…

I think we have a ways to go when competing against some states. I know a kid that pays in-state tuition at Iowa State. His tuition is $2000 more per semester than my kid pays out of state at Charlotte.