Charlotte Baseball - Week of 2/17

Not the start we were looking for, dropping the opener at HPU 4-3 after getting snowed out last weekend. We beat ourselves with base running mistakes and errors. Those that have been paying attention have seen this movie before. Left 12 men on, I believe. On the bright side, freshman Zach Jarrett (Dale’s son, Ned’s grandson) went 4-6 with an RBI in his first college game. On to the weekend…

We’ve got a weekend series with Canisus. They come in 2-1 after slitting with NC State and beating NCCU. They beat Carlos Rodon for their win vs. State. That’s no small task. The Golden Griffins are picked to win the MAAC. Game times are 4 p.m. Friday and 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Tailgating commences Saturday morning.

Weather forecast:
Friday - 61 with an 80% chance of showers
Saturday - 66 with a 20% chance of showers
Sunday - 65 with a 20% chance of showers

Wouldn’t be surprising to see a double header on Saturday after getting rained out on Friday.

What time? And where at?

What time? And where at?[/quote]

Hopefully lot 23 (between the stadiums). Shooting for 9 am.

[quote=“49erAlumnus, post:1, topic:28620”]Not the start we were looking for, dropping the opener at HPU 4-3 after getting snowed out last weekend. We beat ourselves with base running mistakes and errors. Those that have been paying attention have seen this movie before. Left 12 men on, I believe. On the bright side, freshman Zach Jarrett (Dale’s son, Ned’s grandson) went 4-6 with an RBI in his first college game. On to the weekend…

We’ve got a weekend series with Canisus. They come in 2-1 after slitting with NC State and beating NCCU. They beat Carlos Rodon for their win vs. State. That’s no small task. The Golden Griffins are picked to win the MAAC. Game times are 4 p.m. Friday and 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Tailgating commences Saturday morning.

Weather forecast:

Wouldn’t be surprising to see a double header on Saturday after getting rained out on Friday.[/quote]

The exact response I was going to make when I read base running errors were a problem.

[quote=“NLP49, post:4, topic:28620”][quote=“49erAlumnus, post:1, topic:28620”]Not the start we were looking for, dropping the opener at HPU 4-3 after getting snowed out last weekend. We beat ourselves with base running mistakes and errors. Those that have been paying attention have seen this movie before. Left 12 men on, I believe. On the bright side, freshman Zach Jarrett (Dale’s son, Ned’s grandson) went 4-6 with an RBI in his first college game. On to the weekend…

Weather forecast:

Wouldn’t be surprising to see a double header on Saturday after getting rained out on Friday.[/quote]

The exact response I was going to make when I read base running errors were a problem.[/quote]

I’d like to know what happened on the tag-up where Jarrett was thrown out trying to advance to third. It erased Roberts’ run at home. Get that run across, win the game.

That’s what I was thinking too. See you then.

[quote=“49erAlumnus, post:5, topic:28620”][quote=“NLP49, post:4, topic:28620”][quote=“49erAlumnus, post:1, topic:28620”]Not the start we were looking for, dropping the opener at HPU 4-3 after getting snowed out last weekend. We beat ourselves with base running mistakes and errors. Those that have been paying attention have seen this movie before. Left 12 men on, I believe. On the bright side, freshman Zach Jarrett (Dale’s son, Ned’s grandson) went 4-6 with an RBI in his first college game. On to the weekend…

Weather forecast:

The exact response I was going to make when I read base running errors were a problem.[/quote]

I’d like to know what happened on the tag-up where Jarrett was thrown out trying to advance to third. It erased Roberts’ run at home. Get that run across, win the game.[/quote]

That play was a head scratcher to me as well and definitely cost us the game along with the fielding problems. I’ll chalk it up to a freshman mistake and we were still in a position to win just couldn’t get it done. All in all I’d say it was a pretty good debut for him.

[quote=“shaqots, post:7, topic:28620”][quote=“49erAlumnus, post:5, topic:28620”][quote=“NLP49, post:4, topic:28620”][quote=“49erAlumnus, post:1, topic:28620”]Not the start we were looking for, dropping the opener at HPU 4-3 after getting snowed out last weekend. We beat ourselves with base running mistakes and errors. Those that have been paying attention have seen this movie before. Left 12 men on, I believe. On the bright side, freshman Zach Jarrett (Dale’s son, Ned’s grandson) went 4-6 with an RBI in his first college game. On to the weekend…

Weather forecast:

I’d like to know what happened on the tag-up where Jarrett was thrown out trying to advance to third. It erased Roberts’ run at home. Get that run across, win the game.[/quote]

That play was a head scratcher to me as well and definitely cost us the game along with the fielding problems. I’ll chalk it up to a freshman mistake and we were still in a position to win just couldn’t get it done. All in all I’d say it was a pretty good debut for him.[/quote]

Yeah, definitely not down on Jarrett. One interesting thing to watch is that Hibbs has moved from coahing first base to coaching third. I’m looking for that to clean some things up over that way. Without knowing what really happened, I tend to doubt that Hibbs directed that. If that’s the case, then the kid made a mistake. I’d be willing to bet that he learned a valuable lesson.

[quote=“49erAlumnus, post:5, topic:28620”][quote=“NLP49, post:4, topic:28620”][quote=“49erAlumnus, post:1, topic:28620”]Not the start we were looking for, dropping the opener at HPU 4-3 after getting snowed out last weekend. We beat ourselves with base running mistakes and errors. Those that have been paying attention have seen this movie before. Left 12 men on, I believe. On the bright side, freshman Zach Jarrett (Dale’s son, Ned’s grandson) went 4-6 with an RBI in his first college game. On to the weekend…

Weather forecast:

Hopefully we can chalk that up to just a Freshman mistake.

The only other baserunning issue I saw was when we had 1st and 2nd with 1 out, Dunnegan at the plate. I don’t know if we missed a hit and run sign, but both runners were moving, the pitch was taken, and Nichting was thrown out by a mile at 3rd. Dunnegan ended up walking on the next pitch. Bases would have been loaded, 1 out. Corbin hit a deep shot on the next pitch that would have been a Sac fly. Since we were stranding runners all day, I could see a H & R being on there and we missed the sign.

[font=Verdana]The good thing is we were getting guys on base. Bad news is we couldn’t get them home. I think we left 12 on base. 12 hits and only 3 runs to show for it.[/font]

Our defense disturbed me a little last night. Hopefully we get better over the weekend. I know we have some guys injured that could make a difference there.

That play not only cost us that run, but it may have cost us some additional runs that inning. We would have still had a runner in scoring position.

Canisius’s Friday starter, Rohn Pierce won National Player of the Week honors for shutting out NC State. We will have our hands full this weekend.

Here is their preview from Baseball America:

Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference

Team to Beat: Canisius.

The Golden Griffins return almost every key piece from an offense that was easily the MAAC’s best in 2013, when they set a school record with 42 wins. Sr. 1B Jimmy Luppens, a .368 hitter last season, anchors a lineup composed entirely of juniors and seniors. Canisius will also look for big things from Jr. 3B Connor Panas, a potential power threat, and Sr. OF Jesse Kelso, the son of former NFL player Mark Kelso who’s shown a promising feel for hitting. The pitching staff did lose ace Garret Cortright, but So. LHP Alex Godzak, the 2013 MAAC rookie of the year, should help fill the void.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:11, topic:28620”]Canisius’s Friday starter, Rohn Pierce won National Player of the Week honors for shutting out NC State. We will have our hands full this weekend.

Here is their preview from Baseball America:

Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference

Team to Beat: Canisius.

The Golden Griffins return almost every key piece from an offense that was easily the MAAC’s best in 2013, when they set a school record with 42 wins. Sr. 1B Jimmy Luppens, a .368 hitter last season, anchors a lineup composed entirely of juniors and seniors. Canisius will also look for big things from Jr. 3B Connor Panas, a potential power threat, and Sr. OF Jesse Kelso, the son of former NFL player Mark Kelso who’s shown a promising feel for hitting. The pitching staff did lose ace Garret Cortright, but So. LHP Alex Godzak, the 2013 MAAC rookie of the year, should help fill the void.

[/quote]

Thank you for the pre game update, Mr. B. It will be a great series. My son and I are looking forward to see you and the rest of the Niners Baseball junkies at the Hayes this week-end.

Go Niners! Beat the Golden Griffs.

Probable Pitching Match-ups for this weekend:

Friday, Feb. 21 — 4 p.m.
LHP Alex Godzak (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. RHP Ryan Butler (First Appearance)

Saturday, Feb. 22 — 1 p.m.
RHP Rohn Pierce (1-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. RHP Corey Roberts (0-0, 0.00 ERA)

Sunday, Feb. 23 — 1 p.m.
RHP Devon Stewart (0-1, 30.86 ERA) vs. RHP Brock Hudgens (0-0, 0.00 ERA)

Looks like the weather will clear out of here in the early afternoon. Should be good to go at 4.

Excited to see Butler throw today for the 1st time. The preseason pub has gotten me excited to see what he can do.

The are honoring Justin Seager before the game Saturday for winning the A-10 Player of the Year last year. You get in the baseball game free with your basketball ticket, so swing by before you head to Halton on Saturday.

Weekend schedule:
Friday, Feb. 21 - 4pm: Wristband giveaway
Saturday, Feb. 22 - 1pm: Hoops and Hardball Special - Display your 2/22 men’s basketball ticket for FREE baseball admission

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:16, topic:28620”]The are honoring Justin Seager before the game Saturday for winning the A-10 Player of the Year last year. You get in the baseball game free with your basketball ticket, so swing by before you head to Halton on Saturday.

Weekend schedule:
Saturday, Feb. 22 - 1pm: Hoops and Hardball Special - Display your 2/22 men’s basketball ticket for FREE baseball admission

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152205240718844&set=a.74608013843.72829.69459573843&type=1[/quote]

Do you get in the basketball game free with your baseball ticket?

Good start to the weekend. 6-0 win. Butler went 6 innings giving up one hit. Struck out 7. Logan Scherer hit his first career HR. Haven’t gotten to see a box score yet.

Nice crowd out at The Hayes tonight. Hopefully there will be another strong crowd tomorrow.

[quote=“49r9r, post:17, topic:28620”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:16, topic:28620”]The are honoring Justin Seager before the game Saturday for winning the A-10 Player of the Year last year. You get in the baseball game free with your basketball ticket, so swing by before you head to Halton on Saturday.

Weekend schedule:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152205240718844&set=a.74608013843.72829.69459573843&type=1[/quote]

Do you get in the basketball game free with your baseball ticket?[/quote]

Would you want the “Free” basketball tickets? 8)
I tell you what, you could take mine for the rest of the season. They are not where the rich kids are at. But, they are “50 yard line” seats (Section 221). I promise they are not nosebleed either. BTW, it was great to see you and the rest of the baseball junkies at the Hayes tonight.

[quote=“Niner89, post:19, topic:28620”][quote=“49r9r, post:17, topic:28620”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:16, topic:28620”]The are honoring Justin Seager before the game Saturday for winning the A-10 Player of the Year last year. You get in the baseball game free with your basketball ticket, so swing by before you head to Halton on Saturday.

Weekend schedule:

Do you get in the basketball game free with your baseball ticket?[/quote]

Would you want the “Free” basketball tickets? 8)
I tell you what, you could take mine for the rest of the season. They are not where the rich kids are at. But, they are “50 yard line” seats (Section 221). I promise they are not nosebleed either. BTW, it was great to see you and the rest of the baseball junkies at the Hayes tonight.[/quote]

You forgot to mention the baseball team won tonight.