Charlotte Baseball - Week of April 14th

1-3 on the week. TJ Nichting and Brett Lang had nice weeks at the plate. We still make mistakes in the field that give runs away. Friday’s game is a good example. We did put it all together on Sunday to beat FAU 11-1 and invoke C-USA’s 10 run rule. Four games coming up this week. We’re hosting Tulane Thursday-Saturday this week due to the Easter holiday.

Charlotte 9-24-1 (2-13)
RPI: 219
SOS: 66

C-USA RPI: 10th

Upcoming games:
Tuesday: @ Gardner-Webb - 6 pm. 15-20 (7-8 Big South) RPI: 239
Thursday: Tulane - 6:00 pm. 14-20 (6-11 C-USA) RPI: 159
Friday: Tulane - 3 pm.
Saturday: Tulane - 12 pm.

Current statistics: http://www.charlotte49ers.com/fls/23200/Basestats/2014/teamcume.htm
Conference standings and RPI: http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2014/conference/Conference%20USA

Hard to believe the C-USA season is only half over. The 1st half was brutal. 15 more games left, 3 of those series at home.

Tulane has struggled this season and their coach has taken a leave from the team for the rest of the season due to his health. They were picked to finish 5th, but are near the bottom of the conference with us. This weekend may be our best chance at taking a series.

Our starting pitching has been good enough to win games this year. We just cant get the offense going to get enough run support or we self destruct defensively. Bullpen seems to be getting better.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:2, topic:28772”]Hard to believe the C-USA season is only half over. The 1st half was brutal. 15 more games left, 3 of those series at home.

Tulane has struggled this season and their coach has taken a leave from the team for the rest of the season due to his health. They were picked to finish 5th, but are near the bottom of the conference with us. This weekend may be our best chance at taking a series.

Our starting pitching has been good enough to win games this year. We just cant get the offense going to get enough run support or we self destruct defensively. Bullpen seems to be getting better.[/quote]

Tulane or La. Tech (on the road) look like the best chances.

[quote=“919R, post:3, topic:28772”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:2, topic:28772”]Hard to believe the C-USA season is only half over. The 1st half was brutal. 15 more games left, 3 of those series at home.

Our starting pitching has been good enough to win games this year. We just cant get the offense going to get enough run support or we self destruct defensively. Bullpen seems to be getting better.[/quote]

Tulane or La. Tech (on the road) look like the best chances.[/quote]

Let’s take them both and get out of the basement! :smiley:

Tonight’s game cancelled.

Of course it is, it was a very winnable game. :-[

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:2, topic:28772”]Hard to believe the C-USA season is only half over. The 1st half was brutal. 15 more games left, 3 of those series at home.

I’m surprised we have struggled as much as we have, but I am even more surprised that Tulane has struggled this year. I still remember some of their strong teams in CUSA-1.

This was in an e-mail sent out yesterday:

The Charlotte 49ers Baseball team returns to Hayes Stadium to host Tulane in a three game series on Thursday, April 17. The schedule is as follows:

• Thursday, April 17 - 6pm: Country-Western Night! Fans are invited to dress in their cowboy boots and hats and participate in Country-themed activities throughout the game.
• Friday, April 18 - 3pm
• Saturday, April 19 - 12pm: Free Youth Day/Pre-Game Easter Egg Hunt. Kids of all ages are invited to Hayes Stadium for an Easter Egg Hunt prior to the game at 11:30am. To register for the hunt, please click here. [font=verdana][size=78%]Admission for youth 17 and under will be free! [/size][/font][font=verdana][size=0.7em]http://www.charlotte49ers.com/quest/Questionaire.dbml?QID=246322&DB_OEM_ID=23200&DB_OEM_ID=23200&DB_LANG=C&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=[/size][/font]

Win over Tulane 2-0. Roberts goes the distance with a 3 hitter and no errors. …let’s get this series.

What a job by Roberts tonight.

Hibbs’ post-game comments: [font=Verdana][size=78%]http://youtu.be/5OTRlWwfXT4[/size][/font]

Box score: Box Score (PDF) - Charlotte Athletics

Corey pitched well tonight, but i think he has pitched better games this season. Tulane is not top notch competition, but you can only play who is next on your schedule.

Anything can happen, but there is every reason to expect wins on Fri and Sat.

We can still finish the conference with a 17-13 record, which should easily be good enough to get us into the CUSA Tourney. Even 15-15 probably gets us in.

That sounds good, but I would settle for two wins in a row right now. ;D

Highlights from last nights game. Can’t ask for a better play than Hudson made going into the left center gap and throwing perfectly to nail runner trying to leg out a double. Seems like we’ve been saying this all year but hopefully we can finally get some momentum going into the second half of conference season.

That sounds good, but I would settle for two wins in a row right now. ;D[/quote]

You already had your 2 wins in a row when you wrote this. Now we have 3 wins in a row when you include the win over FAU last weekend.

That sounds good, but I would settle for two wins in a row right now. ;D[/quote]

You already had your 2 wins in a row when you wrote this. Now we have 3 wins in a row when you include the win over FAU last weekend.[/quote]

So how about 4?

Beat Tulane 2-1 to take the series. CG from Ryan Butler. Weather does not look good for tomorrow.

Box score: http://www.charlotte49ers.com//pdf9/2685387.pdf?ATCLID=209472022&SPSID=363421&SPID=44796&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=23200

Hibbs’ post game: [font=verdana]http://youtu.be/lMbVlVow1bI[/font]

Today’s game (Friday’s) was a joy to watch. Good pitching, good defense, and some key hits at opportune moments. I hate I had to miss Thursday’s game, but I get the feeling it was similar.

[size=2] I really like what I saw on Thursday and hate that I missed the early afternoon game. I hope the weather won’t stop us today.[/size]