Charlotte Baseball - Week of April 28th

Tyler Barnette is supposed to get his 1st start with the Intimidators tonight if the weather holds up.

http://intimidators.mlblogs.com/2014/04/29/game-notes-42914-hey-look-the-west-virginia-power-are-back-thats-new-also-former-49er-barnette-to-make-first-start-with-kannapolis/

Tyler Barnette, 21, makes his first start of the season and seventh of his career in Game 2 of today’s doubleheader. The former Charlotte 49ers pitcher has worked 14.0 innings, allowing three runs (one earned) on 10 hits. The righty spun 5.0 scoreless relief innings on April 13 at Greenville, the longest relief out by an Intimidators pitcher since Chris Hanna worked 7.0 innings in the make up of a suspended game on July 29, 2012, against Delmarva. Barnette was 1-4 with a 5.73 ERA in 13 games (six starts) during his professional debut with Advanced Rookie Bristol in 2013, including going 0-3 with a 6.26 ERA as a starter. The White Sox selected Barnette in the 14th round of the June 2013 First-Year Player Draft out of nearby UNC Charlotte where he earned Atlantic 10 Freshman of the Year in 2011.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:21, topic:28785”]Tyler Barnette is supposed to get his 1st start with the Intimidators tonight if the weather holds up.

http://intimidators.mlblogs.com/2014/04/29/game-notes-42914-hey-look-the-west-virginia-power-are-back-thats-new-also-former-49er-barnette-to-make-first-start-with-kannapolis/

Tyler Barnette, 21, makes his first start of the season and seventh of his career in Game 2 of today’s doubleheader. The former Charlotte 49ers pitcher has worked 14.0 innings, allowing three runs (one earned) on 10 hits. The righty spun 5.0 scoreless relief innings on April 13 at Greenville, the longest relief out by an Intimidators pitcher since Chris Hanna worked 7.0 innings in the make up of a suspended game on July 29, 2012, against Delmarva. Barnette was 1-4 with a 5.73 ERA in 13 games (six starts) during his professional debut with Advanced Rookie Bristol in 2013, including going 0-3 with a 6.26 ERA as a starter. The White Sox selected Barnette in the 14th round of the June 2013 First-Year Player Draft out of nearby UNC Charlotte where he earned Atlantic 10 Freshman of the Year in 2011.
[/quote]

The forecast doesn’t look too promising.

C-USA went 5-1 tonight including ODU over #1 UVA and ECU over UNC-CHeat. For the time being the league has moved up to 7th in RPI.

Thats what I’m talking about. :wink:

Thats what I’m talking about. ;)[/quote]

That will help out ODU’s resume. RPI now at 24.

ECU is at 55 right now. I hope they can finish strong and get a bid.

It is looking like Rice and ODU are in line for at large bids and hopefully someone else wins the Tourney to get a 3rd bid from the Conference.

Thats what I’m talking about. ;)[/quote]

That will help out ODU’s resume. RPI now at 24.

ECU is at 55 right now. I hope they can finish strong and get a bid.

It is looking like Rice and ODU are in line for at large bids and hopefully someone else wins the Tourney to get a 3rd bid from the Conference.[/quote]

USM hosts the tournament. Could be a good opportunity for them.

Got an email for this weekend. Glad to see the 1st 49er baseball team will have a reunion on Saturday.

The Charlotte 49ers Baseball team returns to Hayes Stadium to host Conference USA foe UAB in a three game series this weekend. The schedule is as follows:

• Friday, May 2 - 6pm: Beach Night/Fun in the Sun: Come on out to the game in your favorite beach attire and join in on some beachy promotions!
• Saturday, May 3 - 2pm: 1979 Team Reunion: Welcome back the 49ers 1979 baseball squad!
• Sunday, May 4 - 1pm

NCAA Projections from Baseball America

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/stock-report-week-11-4/

Conference USA (2 bids)

SAFELY IN: Rice
ON THE BUBBLE (IN): Old Dominion
ON THE BUBBLE (OUT): East Carolina, Southern Mississippi, Florida International

Old Dominion gave its at-large case a huge shot in the arm with a win against No. 1 Virginia on Tuesday, helping the Monarchs climb to No. 24 in the RPI. They still aren’t a lock because of a 3-6 mark against the top 50 and a pedestrian 13-11 mark in C-USA, good enough for sixth place.

But their RPI is too robust to ignore, and they need to win just four of their final 10 games to stay in the top 45. If they win seven of their last 10, they can land in the top 32. The last two series—at Marshall and vs. Long Island-Brooklyn—appear very winnable, as is a home series this weekend against disappointing Florida Atlantic, which is just 22-22 overall. This weekend is critical; recall that Notre Dame missed out on regionals last year despite a No. 33 RPI, because the Irish was just 10-14 in the Big East. Conference standings matter, so ODU still needs a strong finish.

East Carolina is on the rise, with series wins in six of its last seven weekends, highlighted by a road series win at Rice in early April. The Pirates climbed from No. 71 to No. 63 in the RPI after earning a midweek home win against North Carolina and a road series win at Florida Atlantic, and they climbed to No. 55 after beating UNC again yesterday in Chapel Hill. The Pirates are still just 2-4 against the top 25, 4-7 against the top 50, and they are tied for third in C-USA at 13-8. They need to fare well in the next two weeks vs. FIU and at Southern Miss to improve their place in the standings and the RPI. They need to win seven of their last 10 to land inside the top 45, and they have a real shot to pull it off. For now, they remain just outside our field, but we’ll re-evaluate after the FIU series.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:28, topic:28785”]NCAA Projections from Baseball America

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/stock-report-week-11-4/

Conference USA (2 bids)

SAFELY IN: Rice
ON THE BUBBLE (IN): Old Dominion
ON THE BUBBLE (OUT): East Carolina, Southern Mississippi, Florida International

[/quote]

Southern Miss has no chance since they will be losing all 3 of their final regular season games.

USM took out #10 Ole Miss on Wednesday night.

Coach Hibbs’ weekend preview: http://youtu.be/pogmiqgSoRE

UAB game notes: http://www.charlotte49ers.com//pdf9/2707390.pdf?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=23200

1972 REUNION SATURDAY

Prior to Saturday’s game, Charlotte with host the 1979 Niners baseball team alumni. The 1979 Niners picked up the program’s first-ever win on March 16th during a 13-10 victory over Catawba. Head Coach Gary Bartley will throw out a ceremonial first pitch during a pre-game ceremony to recognize the group as a total of 12 members of that ’79 team will be present. In addition to Coach Bartley, others also scheduled to attend are Eric Miller, Gary Tolbert, Mark Windle, Mark Vogler, Mark Dunn, Steve Philpott, Donnie Hoover, Carl Council, Randy Duncan, Herb Hall and assistant coach Dr. Don Ammons.

Anybody tailgating tomorrow?

Niners drop game one 6-2. 13 hits on the night but a couple of defensive lapses along with poor base running killed our chances.

Tomorrow isn’t looking good for me on tailgating. I will make it to the game though.

Well, we sucked today. #regression

We played worse than that.

It was so bad even Hibbs had to leave.

What exactly happened with that? I didn’t see anything that warranted the ejection.

What exactly happened with that? I didn’t see anything that warranted the ejection.[/quote]

Hibbs threw his back out after last night’s game. That’s why he was siting in a chair down in the dugout and not moving around down there. That also explains why he didn’t come out on the field to argue the call at first. Whatever he said from his seat obviously got the attention of the 1st base umpire. Without knowing what Loren said, I thought the ump was a little thin skinned.