Charlotte- Cincy Brawl

The Pacers deal brought up memories of this game.
Remember the altercation between Danny Fortson and the fans following the game in 97? They walked past the student section and threw up “L”'s and the fans reacted with a shower of Pepsi and ice. Crazy ordeal that brought about rule changes in C-USA.

I just wish Fortson and Patterson would have gotten their hands on the frat boys who threw the stuff at them. I would have welcomed that player-fan @$$-kicking. :hammer:

What kind of crap is that? Rooting for those two thugs to do damage to Niner fans?

I remember that incident vividly. Was a student at the time and my seat was right in the middle of the action. That event pretty much began the hatred towards Cincy and it’s players. Was nearly out of control but nothing in comparison to the garbage that took place in Detroit, fortunately.

[i]Originally posted by mineshaft[/i]@Nov 21 2004, 09:18 PM [b] What kind of crap is that? Rooting for those two thugs to do damage to Niner fans? [/b]
frat boys arent niner fans. they show up for 2 or 3 games a year, know very little about the players, and dont wear green. if the cinci players had knocked them out cold, i wouldnt feel bad for them at all
[i]Originally posted by mineshaft[/i]@Nov 21 2004, 09:18 PM [b] What kind of crap is that? Rooting for those two thugs to do damage to Niner fans? [/b]
I agree with Chisox and X. Anybody that throws ice at other players isn't a fan in my book. Fortson had just dropped 30 and 15 on us, and deserved to hold up an 'L' to some of our idiotic "fans."

Deserved to throw up L’s? Not in my house. Nobody deserves to walk in Halton and throw up L’s. What kind of pansy are you? Taunt the student section and you get stuff thrown on you. By the way, that was the last time Cincy ever threw up L’s at the student section.

There’s a big difference between talking smack and throwing trash. That’s lame, anyone who throws trash on our court is lame. If you’re going to be a trashy person, at least do it in someone else’s house.

If you came into my house and threw trash on the ground, I would be ticked off. I’d probably throw you out. The same thing should happen to anyone who throws trash on to our court. It’s lame, and it’s just not a cool thing to do. I encourgae intelligent smack talk, but some of our fans must have been too infected with ACC bs. Throwing trash, using trite “f-u” insults and crossing lines with players on other teams. At least most of the students that sit around us at basketball games are pretty good with keeping stuff in check and not crossing lines, but I hear stuff every game that just annoys me. It makes us look as bad as other schools I see on TV and laugh at. I just hope no one starts that stupid overrated chant this season. All it does is make our team look bad.

Agreed with Powerbait. I hate the overrated chant.

[i]Originally posted by Chisox17+Nov 21 2004, 10:32 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Chisox17 @ Nov 21 2004, 10:32 PM)

I was in that fraternity (President, actually) at the time of that incident, and was at the game. We got a bad rap for that b/c many people were throwing ice. I didn’t throw any, personally, but I know some of the other guys did. As a result, two guys from our fraternity weren’t allowed at anymore games. One of the guys took a 60 MPH bball to the face, so no more games was probably the least of his worries.

Anyway…I was a “frat” boy who went to every game, like many others. At least those “frat boys” stay in town on the weekends and attend games, unlike most of the student body. You guys may not like them, but they at least show up.

Never mind.

[i]Originally posted by mineshaft[/i]@Nov 21 2004, 11:46 PM [b] Taunt the student section and you get stuff thrown on you. [/b]
That is really intelligent. To do that is just as 'thuggish' as what the Cincy players were doing.

If someone throws ice onto the court, anyone in the area is fair game to have a basketball thrown at their head from close range. What part of that don’t you understand?

I honestly cannot stand the “Bull$hit” chant. Every foul that is called on us is not BS. Two rows behind us, they all started chanting it. Yell or whatever, but you don’t have to start cussing at the refs.

I’m telling you, “The ref beats his wife!” chant is the best. :smiley:

That game was my first Cincy game. There were only like 2 or 3 tents camping out when I walked by going to class the morning the tix went on sale. I stopped by after my class and still got lower level but on the base line. My friends and I even made SportCenter. I’ll never forget that game. That is when the rivalry started.