Charlotte Development News

I know there are a few other other development nerds on the forum, so I thought it might be interesting to have a thread like this on the board. A lot of people probably don’t follow development projects in the city closely, but there are a lot of good things happening in the city that will continue to make Charlotte an even more attractive place to live and do business (which is ultimately good for our school and students). Here is a concise list of projects underway planned to be underway within the next year (roughly). A few are speculative, but most of them are happening for sure:

Residential:
-Mint Museum Apartments- 42 stories
-The Bearden- 32 Stories
-Skyhouse 1&2- 24 stories x2

Office:
-300 South Tryon- 25 stories (this is the lot beside Belfast Mill)
-Tryon Place- 27+ stories (this is where the Goodyear service center on S. Tryon sits today)
-Portman- 19 stories (this goes over the Westin parking deck)

Hotel:
-Embassy Suites- 250 rooms (across from Nascar HoF)

• Tryon Place - 300 rooms (+100 apartments) - 25 floors [font=Verdana](this is where the Goodyear service center on S. Tryon sits today)[/font]

Additionally, here are some more projects in the works whose details are less concrete or they are rumored to be in the works:

AC Hotels/Residence Inn Epicenter- 300 rooms (on top of the foundation at Epicenter where a condo tower was supposed to go initially)
SREE Hotel- ??? Rooms (beside the parking garage by TWC arena)
300 South Tryon Hotel- 200+ rooms (on the lot beside Belfast Mill)
Grand Bohemian Hotel- ??? rooms (I’m not sure where this one is going)
Canopy Hotel- ??? rooms (First Ward near Dixie’s)
Crescent Hotel at Tryon place- 250+ rooms [font=Verdana](this is where the Goodyear service center on S. Tryon sits today)[/font]
Hotel at alternate Crescent site- 450 rooms (have read that it might be a Hyatt Regency)
Apartments at Alternate Crescent site- 600+ apartments (just east of the Westin)
Tivoli apartment project at 6th and College- 30+ stories (I actually don’t know what this one is)
Levine Hotel/Apartment project at Midtown- 25 stories (beside the Metropolitan Midtown development on the Greenway)
Morehead St Office project- 14 stories (on S. Tryon just across 277)

More hotel rooms to bid for a Super Bowl some day. ;D

There is a pretty cool interactive map that shows whats going up where in the area. Going to be a ton of cranes in the sky the next few years

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/11/07/5299743/interactive-whos-building-what.html#.VJrmtsAv

[quote=“casstommy, post:3, topic:29275”]There is a pretty cool interactive map that shows whats going up where in the area. Going to be a ton of cranes in the sky the next few years

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/11/07/5299743/interactive-whos-building-what.html#.VJrmtsAv[/quote]Observer is half assing it.

Here is a much more comprehensive map:

Thanks for sharing national. Do you know what the status is on the hotel that is supposed to go in on campus at the CRI? Maybe they are waiting on the light rail to be done?

[quote=“Gassman, post:5, topic:29275”]Thanks for sharing national. Do you know what the status is on the hotel that is supposed to go in on campus at the CRI? Maybe they are waiting on the light rail to be done?[/quote]I do not.

I know there is a hotel component attached to the new Levine dormitory planned by the front entrance though.

Wow, that’s a bit surprising. Will be very interesting to see how that’s implemented.

clt says don’t be haters. Please post the Boone development website. Rumor is that Waffle House is considering a location for the Apple staters.

Some rezoning near the Tom Hunter BLE Station. Carolina States Regional Center, LLC plans on doing Mixed Use on both sides of the US 29 Bypass. Not much details, but it seems a step in the right direction. The station does not have a Park and Ride and both of these could bring a huge amount of residences within walking distance.[font=Source Sans Pro][size=14px] [/size][/font]
[font=Source Sans Pro][/size][size=14px]http://www.charmeck…s/2015-020.aspx[/size][/font]
[font=Source Sans Pro][/size][size=14px] [/size][/font]
[font=Source Sans Pro][/size][size=14px]http://www.charmeck…s/2015-047.aspx[/size][/font]

Pretty big news this week. Crescent confirms both of their uptown projects that had been speculated. One I believe was already confirmed as planned, but they confirmed this week that they were about to start construction. Both of these projects will be on the southern side of Tryon with one on S. Tryon and Stonewall. The other will be adjacent to the light rail line on Stonewall.

This will also include another 15-20k square feet of retail in addition to over 400 apartments and a public plaza.

The other tower will focus more on commercial office space.

This one is rumored to include a Belk store and other retail.

This commercial office tower will also be built on that side of town on the Westin parking deck:

clt is glad to see belk returning to uptown.

That Whole Foods is slated to be built in that empty field on Stonewall St. across from the NASCAR HOF. Wonder if they will charge for parking/allow tailgating on Panther game days. :wink:

[quote=“49er1, post:12, topic:29275”]That Whole Foods is slated to be built in that empty field on Stonewall St. across from the NASCAR HOF. Wonder if they will charge for parking/allow tailgating on Panther game days. ;)[/quote]I’m sure it will allow for parking for a fee but tailgating is going to become more and more difficult for the Panthers. Even the lots outside uptown are starting to get attention.

clt says tailgating is easier at 1500 ft

I hope it’s not a Whole Foods Lite like the one they built in Huntersville.

[quote=“NLP49, post:15, topic:29275”]I hope it’s not a Whole Foods Lite like the one they built in Huntersville.[/quote]it is 12k square feet bigger than that one I think. 2000ish bugger than south park.

[quote=“Niner National, post:6, topic:29275”][quote=“Gassman, post:5, topic:29275”]Thanks for sharing national. Do you know what the status is on the hotel that is supposed to go in on campus at the CRI? Maybe they are waiting on the light rail to be done?[/quote]I do not.

I know there is a hotel component attached to the new Levine dormitory planned by the front entrance though.[/quote]
Never seen this anywhere. Is this listed somewhere on the MasterPlan? I have only heard about the CRI hotel/center.

[quote=“919R, post:17, topic:29275”][quote=“Niner National, post:6, topic:29275”][quote=“Gassman, post:5, topic:29275”]Thanks for sharing national. Do you know what the status is on the hotel that is supposed to go in on campus at the CRI? Maybe they are waiting on the light rail to be done?[/quote]I do not.

I know there is a hotel component attached to the new Levine dormitory planned by the front entrance though.[/quote]
Never seen this anywhere. Is this listed somewhere on the MasterPlan? I have only heard about the CRI hotel/center.[/quote]http://publicrelations.uncc.edu/news-events/news-releases/levine-scholars-program-extended-13-million-gift-leon-levine-foundation

To honor the donors, a new 425-bed residence hall that will be prominently located near the University’s main entrance will be named Sandra and Leon Levine Hall. The building will also house the administrative offices for the Levine Scholars Program and the University’s Honors College. Construction is scheduled to begin in the spring of 2015, with a projected completion date set for the summer of 2016.
Housing both freshmen and upper-class students, Levine Hall will include suite- and apartment-style room configurations. The building’s apartments are designated primarily for students in the Levine and Honors programs.
The Levine and Honors offices will include student work/study areas, faculty work stations and private one-on-one spaces, adjacent seminar spaces that can be combined for large functions, [font=arial, sans-serif][size=12px]and a hotel space for visiting faculty or lecturers[/size][/font].
[size=12px][/size]
[/size][size=12px][/size]
[/size][size=12px][font=arial]Now that may only mean 1 hotel room, I’m not sure. It is kind of vague.[/font][/size]

[quote=“Niner National, post:18, topic:29275”][quote=“919R, post:17, topic:29275”][quote=“Niner National, post:6, topic:29275”][quote=“Gassman, post:5, topic:29275”]Thanks for sharing national. Do you know what the status is on the hotel that is supposed to go in on campus at the CRI? Maybe they are waiting on the light rail to be done?[/quote]I do not.

Never seen this anywhere. Is this listed somewhere on the MasterPlan? I have only heard about the CRI hotel/center.[/quote]http://publicrelations.uncc.edu/news-events/news-releases/levine-scholars-program-extended-13-million-gift-leon-levine-foundation

To honor the donors, a new 425-bed residence hall that will be prominently located near the University’s main entrance will be named Sandra and Leon Levine Hall. The building will also house the administrative offices for the Levine Scholars Program and the University’s Honors College. Construction is scheduled to begin in the spring of 2015, with a projected completion date set for the summer of 2016.
Housing both freshmen and upper-class students, Levine Hall will include suite- and apartment-style room configurations. The building’s apartments are designated primarily for students in the Levine and Honors programs.
The Levine and Honors offices will include student work/study areas, faculty work stations and private one-on-one spaces, adjacent seminar spaces that can be combined for large functions, [font=arial][size=12px]and a hotel space for visiting faculty or lecturers[/size][/font].

[size=12px][font=arial]Now that may only mean 1 hotel room, I’m not sure. It is kind of vague.[/font][/size][/quote]

Ah, ok I thought you meant maybe an entire separate hotel building.

Welcome to the Boomtown…