Charlotte development thread

People near the speedway in concord have also complained about track noise and traffic on race days.

People are stupid.

3 Likes

clt says wait until the 4th parallel opens, more planes!

That looks great, would be a huge improvment for University City and the University as a whole.

Hopefully it happens with a good pedestrian focus and high quality materials. Only a few developers in Charlotte do that though, so I expect to see a value engineered projext with a faux urban feel to be built.

Still, even that would be better than what exists now.

So they are going to tear down most of the other buildings but leave the Food Lion standing?

I think Kannapolis could be a nice model to emulate. First trip there in quite sometime and I was very impressed.

1 Like

Best thing they could do for the university area would be to take hwys 29 and 49 directly adjacent to the university and make them 2 lanes instead of 4. Then reduce the speed to 25mph and put speed humps. This would push traffic away from those areas making them pedestrian friendly. Grow out Concord road and put in a bypass closer to I-85. Take out all of the 3 story residential properties and convert them to 7 to 10 stories with amenities. Add more entertainment and dining options with some shops that aren’t big box store footprints. Increase pricing to root out crime and poverty in the area. People will pay for safety and quality of life, especially parents of college students.

2 Likes
2 Likes

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/05/02/city-of-charlotte-mecklenburg-county-eastland.html

https://12ft.io/www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/05/02/city-of-charlotte-mecklenburg-county-eastland.html

This is about a new plan for the old Eastland Mall site.

1 Like

The “River District”.

As a life long resident of the area, that tickles me every time I see it.

I thought it was Lake Wylie all the way up to the Mountain Island Dam now? Shouldn’t it be the Lake District?

Would be cool to have but not cool enough for taxpayers to pay for

Was always the rainbow river for us. Never knew what color it was going to be.

Blue, Green, Brown.

Up near the dye plants we would get some red blue and green. I still don’t like touching any of that water.

Fly Flying GIF

clt provides the view from the stands

1 Like

Quiet, please

I’ve been in clariant facility a few times. It was bad enough for me to not send them a quote becwuse I didn’t want to work in there.

I did want to do a containment pit for them once, but didn’t win it. It was the size of a football field. They were getting quotes because of groundwater contamination. Lovely that it’s on the river that supplies drinking water to downstream communities.