Charlotte Disc Golf

I play a lot of disc golf and I’ve seen others talk about it too, so I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread dedicated to it.

Like favorite courses, holes, discs, and when tournaments are happening. Even questions/tips on throwing and discs.

I’ve only played once, but really enjoyed it. The course right down the road from campus at Reedy Creek is really nice.

Ive played quite a bit with Bust, Braille and Lew over the summer…this year being the first year ive ever played more than once. It has grown on me…mostly because its free haha, or else I would be playing real golf!

I like Reedy Creek, and Sugaw Creek, but theres a course up in Davidson that I heard was off the chain?

[QUOTE=Cha_49;435890]
I like Reedy Creek, and Sugaw Creek, but theres a course up in Davidson that I heard was off the chain?[/QUOTE]

I have heard mixed things about Davidson. Apparently it is for students only and there is a guy who keeps nonstudents away, i’ve always wanted to play and claim ignorance if caught.

This is the site you need: http://www.charlottedgc.com/

map of courses in the area: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&q=charlotte%2Bdisc%2Bgolf&hl=en&msa=0&msid=117848533471299599472.000434d636f7f22387878&ll=35.201306,-80.776978&spn=0.285589,0.565796&z=11&om=1

jfickett and I play Reedy Creek quite a bit. Sugaw Creek and Kilbourne get thrown in the mix on occasion.

Seriously best sport/hobby ever. Mostly cause its free outside of the minimal cost for discs. Dick’s carries a limited selection, but if you want a decent selection of discs you’ll have to go to one of the Infinity’s End locations. I also hear that used sports equipment stores (like Play It Again Sports) carry discs as well.

There’s a privately-owned course in Davidson that does not require trust fund status called Brackett’s Bluff.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3263

[QUOTE=JeffKnife;435893]I also hear that used sports equipment stores (like Play It Again Sports) carry discs as well.[/QUOTE]

True story.

Can anybody play at Bracket’s Bluff? I’ve heard it’s great, but I never knew if I could just go play it anytime.

[QUOTE=sreniN;435896]Can anybody play at Bracket’s Bluff? I’ve heard it’s great, but I never knew if I could just go play it anytime.[/QUOTE]

According to the link for that park:

[QUOTE]Course now requires membership to play. Or play with a member.[/QUOTE]

I would assume that’s true, but have never been there myself.

Anybody want to play Reedy Creek tomorrow? It’s supposed to be nice… maybe for the last time till spring :frowning:

I keep my bag of discs in my trunk at all times just in case I get the urge. I try to play 2-3 times per month and usually play Renaissance because it’s a great workout and challenging course. Good course for beer too since you’re in the woods so much. :smile:

Hornet’s Nest is probably my 2nd favorite, followed by Reedy Creek, Sugaw, Elon Park and then Kilbourne. If you guys haven’t played Elon Park, it’s worth checking out. Pretty much a brand new course that’s off Audrey Kell (behind the schools). Very convenient if you live on the south side of town.

Infinity’s End is the best place in town for discs. Omega on Park Road has a lot too, including Discraft which I prefer over Innova.

Always have my discs with me. I play at Reedy a lot since I live off of Back Creek.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;435924]Omega on Park Road has a lot too, including [B]Discraft which I prefer over Innova.[/B][/QUOTE]

DESTROY THIS BLASPHEMER!

i just bought a Discraft Buzz in the esp flx plastic. It feels incredible. I’m about to throw it for the first time this afternoon, and if it throws as well as it feels, I’m going to be converted to discraft.

[QUOTE=sreniN;435942]i just bought a Discraft Buzz in the esp flx plastic. It feels incredible. I’m about to throw it for the first time this afternoon, and if it throws as well as it feels, I’m going to be converted to discraft.[/QUOTE]

:popcorn:

[QUOTE=thelew1014;435941]DESTROY THIS BLASPHEMER![/QUOTE]

Unless you just simply can’t afford them, which I understand, I can’t imagine anyone preferring Innova over Discraft. Innova discs are cheap, too rigid and change their properties after playing with them a good bit. Don’t get me wrong, I started out with Innova and still have several in my bag but I mostly use them at Renaissance where I’m more apt to lose a disc.

My two favorite discs: Discraft X-Clone and Meteor. I do like Innova Stingray’s though and have worn some completely out from using them so much. I also have a really light (145g) Valk that will flat out launch. It’s a blast to throw on a wide open hole when it’s not too windy.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;436012]Unless you just simply can’t afford them, which I understand, I can’t imagine anyone preferring Innova over Discraft. Innova discs are cheap, too rigid and change their properties after playing with them a good bit. Don’t get me wrong, I started out with Innova and still have several in my bag but I mostly use them at Renaissance where I’m more apt to lose a disc.

My two favorite discs: Discraft X-Clone and Meteor. I do like Innova Stingray’s though and have worn some completely out from using them so much. I also have a really light (145g) Valk that will flat out launch. It’s a blast to throw on a wide open hole when it’s not too windy.[/QUOTE]

DX is one thing… but I love my champions.

I won’t buy anything less than a champion anymore.

Who makes the best discs? Titleist? And how do you play out of a sand trap?

:shades:

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;436016]Who makes the best discs? Titleist? And how do you play out of a sand trap?

:shades:[/QUOTE]

In terms of where I’d rather be:

Sand trap > pine/fir tree.