Charlotte FC ⚽

So Tepper won’t be using carolina vs Charlotte? I hope not.

Soccer Club :-1:
Football Club :+1:

Back away from the spreadsheet for a moment. These MLS teams are HIGHLY sought after so there is more value than just the immediate for the community. When it comes to pro sports Charlotte should be like Denver.

Tepper is trying to keep baseball from coming to Charlotte. Charlotte is the logical place for the Rays to relocate if no new stadium can be built in the Tampa Bay area.

Even if Tampa moves elsewhere, baseball will add 2 teams within the next decade. With 15 teams in each league, there must always be 2 teams playing interleague games. With 16 in each league, interleague can return to being something special.

The other candidates for franchise moves/expansion are Portland, Austin/San Antonio, Montreal, and Las Vegas. Montreal can use the Expos’ old stadium until a replacement can be built.

PS. Oakland needs a new stadium, too.

I am happy to let MLB go to raleigh they can have it.

1 Like

I’m more excited about MLS than the prospect of MLB tbh.

Having a triple A minor league team in uptown is honestly I think all the baseball Charlotte needs. Minor league ball is social, the Knights are well attended, the events are affordable. It’s a win for Charlotte, especially considering we already have two “big time” sports teams (Panthers and Hornets).

But man, when you start asking for a MLB team, the city will have to pony up money, we’re never going to be a contender just because we’re a “small market”, it’s going to get a lot more expensive, all to have probably a couple thousand more people attending a game for a dying sport.

Doesn’t seem like a worthwhile trade off when you have MLS which is growing like crazy and an international sport. You have a built in rivalry with Atlanta, and it continues to grow the culture of the city.

1 Like

I attended the Atlanta United conference playoff game vs the NY Red Bull’s last year, in a sold out Mercedes Benz stadium… 72,000 plus. The atmosphere was electric. I would love to witness that in Charlotte! Agree that a great rivalry is waiting to be born. Tepper is like Arthur Blank In Atlanta and recognizes the great potential for a MLS franchise being located in Charlotte.
The financial return could/should surprise many!

Lol, we bitch about 3 home games in Sep/Oct. Can you imagine these same complainers for a 3 game home stand in July?

Somebody made concept logo in this thread. Also, a comment mentioned city name is required like was said above, but they then corrected and said it isn’t required (without citing sources in true Internet fashion).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Charlotte/comments/e72hn3/i_created_a_charlotte_mls_concept_what_do_you/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

1 Like

Not exactly the Hornets’ colors, but close enough that I bet this would have to be changed.

Colors also brought up in the thead, and they mentioned Seattle and I think Pittsburg that purposely chose similar colors for their teams.

clt says the triangle cannot support hockey,

Cincinnati getting a team too?

Cincy team just completed inaugural MLS season. Playing at UC’s Nippert Stadium until new SSS facility opens in 2021.

In[quote=“run49er, post:54, topic:30696, full:true”]
Cincy team just completed inaugural MLS season. Playing at UC’s Nippert Stadium until new SSS facility opens in 2021.

[/quote]

I was referring to Cincy as the Queen City in the name suggestion Queen City FC

Gotcha! Sometimes I can be quite the literalist!

BTW, a number of cities and towns are nicknamed the QC with a few actually named that!

No Queen City FC or Charlotte SC among the names filed with the US Patent & Trademark Office.

Gliders sounds like we should have a lubricant sponsor. Crown is terrible. Monarchs was the wnba team?

So… one option is sleezy as F@&k and the other two are a bit feminine for a men’s team imo.

1 Like

US teams keep trying to replicate other countries’ team names. Monarcas Morelia, Fortuna Dusseldorf , many examples of Athletic (Atletico) would be the most recent example if he chooses those. Crown, Gliders, Town are dumb. Charlotte isn’t a town. It’s a City. And please, no. Not Charlotte City. Stupid.

Where’s the originality?

Charlotte Sting was the WNBA team. And gliders might make sense for a team near Kitty Hawk! :roll_eyes: