Charlotte Football hires former Texas Co-OC Herb Hand

I was talking about Hand leaving Healy for Gus.

Iā€™m not sure how Mike Houston fits in this besides doing essentially the same thing.

We can spin it however we want but a guy being here 16 days isnā€™t a good look.

Good thing Healy passed on that $100k so it could be used for his assistants.

Yeah he definitely left faster than expected . I agree with that.

Ohhhhh sorry! My bad. I still just donā€™t like it, but guess thatā€™s the rat business of college football.

I hope Houston hiring , handling of Covid this year and now a Coach you just hired and promoted on social media and to fanbase leaving before he arrives is not a pattern moving forward. If it is then small time Mickey Mouse will start to apply.

1 Like

I agree. Losing 53-19 to the worst team in the ACC makes us look Mickey Mouse. This is way down on the list.

2 Likes

Agree totally. A good up and comer leaving happens at most programs, including ucf. Settling for retreads is just settling for mediocrity. Xavier replaces their coach in hoops every few years but they hire wellā€¦what a concept.

1 Like

clt says we need to appreciate the hand era at Charlotte.

He had an office
Email was set up
One polo was issued

Malzahn is a retread at UCF.

Just be Healy next year if this keeps up

Healy, ā€œit says a lot about our program that we were able to make such a home run hire.ā€ Two weeks later heā€™s gone to another school. I donā€™t care who you are thatā€™s embarrassing and Healy looks silly. Iā€™ll go back to watching our menā€™s soccer team now. The only sport that looks like they know what the hell theyā€™re doing.

2 Likes

This is not healthy or normal for successful G5 programs. Satterfield stayed at App for 5 years & won 3 or 4 conference championships. Before him Moore was there for over 20 years & built that program into a powerhouse. Iā€™m sure both had opportunities to leave but they didnā€™t. Same for UAB, Coastal & Louisiana. Boise Stateā€™s last 2 very successful coaches were there 8 & 7 years. We shouldnā€™t be worried about losing head coaches after 1 mediocre season & 1 really bad season. We shouldnā€™t be constantly losing assistants every year & now replacing the same position coach multiple times every off season. Those of you who want to be the easy piece of ass that guys run to between real relationships are not being realistic about what it takes to be a successful G5 program. Weā€™re not likely to keep a successful coach for 10 or 15 years but we will never establish anything here with this revolving door coaching staff.

Having coaches leave even after 2 weeks is not embarrassing in my opinion. It is Healyā€™s job to bring in the best people possible to help the program. If these people take the job and leave even after two weeks, that shows more about them. Healy went out and landed a solid coach. A+ on Healy for that hire. Now he has to do it again.

4 Likes

Umm Menā€™s Cross Country is ranked 29th in the nation and Track and Field is killing it too.

1 Like

Unfortunately this is part of the game, I donā€™t like it when assistants leave before a season or head coaches leave after just one, but it is what it is. Iā€™m like Dowless, if Healyā€™s hiring people that coaches like Malzahn want to hire then heā€™s picking quality assistants. The key for us is to get our program to the point where AAC schools canā€™t poach people from our staff for the equivalent position.

homer simpson memories GIF

clt says we must remember the hand era

1 Like

The only reason Satt stayed as long as he did is he was an App alum. Moore was when they were a D2 program and for a big chunk his run that they werenā€™t what they are now. App changed their model this last hire after Drink left after one year. Rather than go get the best guy they hired a position coach and app Alum in hope he sticks around. Letā€™s see how that works out for them.

Iā€™d love it if we landed guys and they end up just being great at stay like Boise or Gonzaga basketball but those are rare. We need the best talent out there and if that means we have to back fill when they leave so be it. If we luck out and they stay with us for awhile even better, but as I said before I want guys that want bigger than us. We need coaches getting hired away. It means we are winning.

I personally donā€™t care if they are retreads or hot up and comers. Best guy we can get thatā€™s who we need.

1 Like

Iā€™m not mad about coaches getting picked off. Would yaā€™ll rather have Lamboā€™s company back that no one wanted? Iā€™m sure some of them would come back since they are not currently employeed at a D1 level.

Looks like our strength coach might have been less than impressed with a recent hireā€™s actions

5 Likes

I donā€™t think seeing a guy putting 3 months here and 3 months there on a resume any different than a coach being somewhere 14 days and leaving. He is limiting his future opportunities. Now this may just be one of those deals where it looked good at Charlotte, but his best buddy got a job and he wanted to work with him again. If so he will have to sell that at his next interview.

In our day and time, loyalty is out the window. You go where the money takes you.