Charlotte Football

[QUOTE=Brick Tamland, Weather;140721]Besides ā€¦ Students donā€™t vote on anything - they had elections in the fall and I think I read that the turnout was under 500 students (out of nearly 21,000).[/QUOTE]
Actually it was a whopping 706 of 21151 (3.3%) students eligible, voting over 3 days. Nope, thereā€™s no apathy on campus, Iā€™m sure that theyā€™ll all come to a football game when they wonā€™t usually fill 4500 seats at a basketball game.

Source: [URL=http://www.nineronline.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/10/04/434286d933b76?in_archive=1]University Times[/URL]

I was a member of the Student Government Association 3 years ago when the new student union was being purposed. First of all, the reasoning behind the new student union building was to raise school spirit and keep students on campus over the weekends. The funding for the new student union would come from raising student fees around $150 a semester. A vote on raising student fees was taken during the SGA elections. It overwhelmingly pass mainly do to the point that no one votes in SGA elections usually less than 1500 students. Now I been paying increased student fees for 3 years on a student union I am never going to use. The cost of the new student union is around $50 million. A new student union was something a few students wanted and the administration supported and it came into existence. The university wanted a Greek village to promote living on campus and they found a way to fund that project. So, why is it so absurd to purpose that with another raise in student fees by around $150, creating an endowment fund where donors can contribute, sponsorships, and ticket sales that the school could not fund a football team and other scholarships needed. If those monies were pooled over a period of 5 to 10 years why couldnā€™t we have football in 5 to 10 years? If a plan is never presented to work toward football will never be possible.

I dont think anyone is saying itā€™s not possible. I think the anti-football people (some of whom would actually like to have football) are actually saying that it is possible, but itā€™s not exactly smart. If you canā€™t fund the current sports to 100% level, why would you want to jack up student fees to start a football program?

$300 per year in additional student fees would be about another 12.5% increase in tuition/fees for in-staters (based on $1,200/semester currently, which is what someone posted on the board).

I think itā€™s possible but not smart, especially without a place to play on campus (which isnā€™t going to happen for 10 years at least and millions more dollars).

all you guys quoting numbers on major D1 schools losing money- need to do some research on how 1AA schools do.

that should be our goal. Lets have a realistic budget centered on a D1AA team playing at Belk Track/Stadium.

That would allow alumni to tailgate 5 Saturdays a year, raise spirits among alum and students, and keep students on campus.

It seems there is only one issue everyone agrees on. We lack support from the city of Charlotte.

Considering we spent all those years in the same conference as Cinci, Louisville, Memphis, Marquette, DePaul, etc, plain and simple logic states that we should have had better support for our basketball program.

I wonder why we havenā€™t. Maybe itā€™s hard to get support when your winning program winds up on page 8 and a losing program located hundreds of miles away winds up on Page 1. There is a difference in ā€œcoverageā€ and ā€œpromotionā€. We received ā€œcoverageā€. Other certain schools were ā€œpromotedā€.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]The student government already voted for increased fees ($150/sem?) for a student union. I donā€™t even know what a student union is. Who cares, the precedent has been set. Time for another vote for football fees. Iā€™ll bet that much more than 1500 students would vot FOR football.

Marshall and Central Fl started as Div II teams and have had some quality success in Div I.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE=MeanJoeGreen;141059][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Marshall and Central Fl started as Div II teams and have had some quality success in Div I.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
Come on Joe, get the facts corrct before posting this stuff. It has been noted numerous times here that the now NCAA requires that if you begin a football program, you do it at the level you are participating in for other sports. In this case, that means that Charlotte could (and would) begin at Division I-AA and move later if they desired to Division I-A. There is no starting a program at Division II and moving up to Division I. The costs of begining a team may be similar but the costs of maintaining would be substantially higher.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]HP49er,

Believe me or not, I really appreciate your knowledge on what the obstacles are for UNCC having football. I think that these comebacks are the best ways to define the problems and share some ideas on each. The bottom line is that there are those who think football is not the correct path to take in the near future, those who think that it is and a few mixed in who are not sure.

There certainly is not one NCAA rule that would prohibit UNCC from starting a football program. However, there are costs and risks associated with starting a football program that are significant. When I worry of risks and when I get pissed about a crappy Niner game like last night, sometimes I think of this quote.

[SIZE=2]ā€œFar better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failureā€¦ than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeatā€ā€“TRoosevelt.[/SIZE]

Happy Thanksgiving
[/SIZE][/FONT]

I am as pro-football as anyone but there are bigger problems pressing us at the moment, like why is our basketball team playing so badly? Basketball is our only claim to fame, the only sport in which we get the slightest recognition. I hope the team can improve because the last thing we need is a lackluster basketball program. No one is going to donate money to the athletic program playing like that. Basketball needs to do really well for football to get off the ground.

[QUOTE=JaMiNNiNeR;141168]I am as pro-football as anyone but there are bigger problems pressing us at the momentā€¦Basketball needs to do really well for football to get off the ground.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

If we could garner some momentum and excitement in the community/student/alumni base (be it thru Basketball or any other means) ā€¦that would lead to more supportā€¦more donationsā€¦which would mean Football would be a realistic possibility.

Agree 100%

But as we stand right here and nowā€¦it is not a remote possibility.

Be patientā€¦give it some timeā€¦and hope that the program continues to growā€¦and you will be tailgating for Niner Football at some point in the future.

Football shmootball. We have an NFL team here that is actually good. I get my tailgating ā€œfixā€ at the Pantherā€™s games.

[QUOTE=KTown49er;140667]This is what you donā€™t getā€¦

Those are not pessimistic opinionsā€¦those are FACTS.

Those FACTS are whatā€™s keeping football from coming here. Donā€™t come on this board and ā€œpreach to the choirā€ about how nice it would be to have football. We know this.

The bottom line isā€¦It wonā€™t happen until we prove we can & will support it.

THE FACTS SHOW THAT WE WILL NOT.

I donā€™t like it anymore than you doā€¦but itā€™s the truthā€¦and I refuse to hide from the truth.

We need to face the real problems and fix them firstā€¦then football can come in and succedeā€¦which is what we all want.

Itā€™s simply going to take more time (5-10yrs) to build the program, fanbase, alumni base and support to get to where we need to be from a SUPPORT standpoint to start a football initiative.

Again, I donā€™t see why thatā€™s so hard to understand.[/QUOTE]

Itā€™s so hard to understand because that is what was said 5 to 10 years ago.

All you naysayers spin what you want, but USF and UNCC were identical schools for the last 25 years (we jumped from Sun Belt, to Metro, to CUSA together) until their leadership found a way to make football happen and go Big East, and they quit making excuses (no state funding, no stadium, blah blah blah)

USF is going to a bowl and we are still small time because there is no vision and leadership. Enough said.

about the cost of football. Look, First step to getting major football is getting a team on campus. As a D-1 school, you have to play either 1-AA or 1-A by NCAA rules and you have to play 1-AA for 5 years before going 1-A. So, the the program would have to play at 1-AA. 1-AA non-scholarship will cost between $300,000-$700,000 per year. Donā€™t be fooled by this multi-million dollar number people throw out. I refer you to the athletic budgets of Drake, Valpo, Dayton, and Butler where you can get real infromation.

Further, Title IX is not that big of an issue. Womens crew teams routinely have close to 100 members at a total cost of around $100,000 for the program. Futher, Title ix relates to participation, not scholarships. If you had 85 men, you could easily add 85 women without breaking the bank. Crew only allows 20 scholarships, I believe.

Okay, how do you come up with the funds? A $1-$2 per credit hour fee could be used to fund the entire football and crew teams, as well as, provide extra funds to fully fund the other sports, without selling one football ticket. At $1.50 per credit hour x 20,000 students x 15 hours per semester x 2 semsters = $900,000.

Now, most would want to start at the 1-AA scholarship level. This would entail a greater financial commitment, but it is doable. It costs between $1.0 and $1.5 million per year plus scholarship costs to field a 1-AA football team. Check out the costs at Villanova, a top flight 1-AA program. At 65 scholarships, the team would cost roughly $1.3-$1.8 million per year. Let use a student fee of $7 per credit hour. UNCC has roughly 20,000 full time students who take, on average, around 15 hours per sememster. Again, we do the math. We are talking about $4.2 million per school year without considering summer school or ticket sales, corporate sponsorships, parking fees, concessions, etc.

Now, you probably donā€™t have an adequate facility to play 1-AA scholarship football, but such a facility could be built for around $10 million. I refer you to Coastal Carolinaā€™s stadium for an example. Further, you donā€™t want to start the program without alumni contributions. So, you start a fundraising drive. Tell the alums that you will start football once you hit $10 million. For $20 million and 5000 season tickets sold, you will play 1-AA scholarship ball. For $50 million, a place to play and 15,000 season tickets, you will move up to 1-A. Maybe you will never get there. Maybe you will get there quickly. However, you put the monkey on the back of the people that want it.

Donā€™t be fooled by this crap that the school doesnā€™t have the money. The simple reason a school like Charlotte doesnā€™t start football is because academics fear that contributions to the school will be redirected to the football program. Another hogwash argument. Studies have shown that those who donate to the athetic department will also donate to the school, but those who do not donate to athletics donā€™t donate at all. They use the imaginary scholarship cost argument to discourage the talk of football. BTW, do you really think it costs Ohio State $8000 per student per sememster to have an athlete on campus? The school has 75,000 students. I am sure they do not hire one extra teacher or one dean to accomodate 85 extra football players on campus. And yet, the scholarship costs are part of the budget.

I challenge you to look at real numbers from real schools and do the math. A study conducted by UT-Arlington about the costs associated with starting a 1-AA scholarship program is online. It talks about everything from scholarship costs to the cost of upkeep on the stadium. Very interesting stuff.

Now, you probably don't have an adequate facility to play 1-AA scholarship football, but such a facility could be built for around $10 million.

This was a great post. Iā€™m used to the naysayers tossing out figures.

Iā€™m a bit curious about how you refer to us in the third person. Not to discredit anything you said, as an alumnus Iā€™d love for a football field to be built and for the ball to start rolling for a football programs.

Welcome to the board! :smile:

MU88, Great post and welcome to the board!

Any thoughts on the idea of a combination baseball/football stadium for the Knights/Niners? I know the old school pro stadiums have progressed away from that idea, but it may be a better idea for a smaller venue. If located downtown, it would provide a year-round revenue source and may be more popular with potential outside funders. Good idea or brain fart?

[QUOTE=HP49er;140722]Actually it was a whopping 706 of 21151 (3.3%) students eligible, voting over 3 days. Nope, thereā€™s no apathy on campus, Iā€™m sure that theyā€™ll all come to a football game when they wonā€™t usually fill 4500 seats at a basketball game.

Source: [URL=http://www.nineronline.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/10/04/434286d933b76?in_archive=1]University Times[/URL][/QUOTE]

This is unrelative. These are two different sports. Iā€™m almost sick of this comparison being made. Hereā€™s a fact for you Football is the number one sport in America. I know multiple people I have asked if they were going to the game and they say they donā€™t like basketball, but are highly supportive of football.

If a team is ever started the first two years or so we could play at Memorial Studium near downtown. That would give time for an on campus stadium to be built. The stadium would need to be designed to expand as the program grew. We would start as Division 1-AA and if we ever would move up to Division 1-A we would need a stadium with a certain amount of seats.

Are they still using Memorial Stadium? I had heard several years ago that it was in pretty bad shape structurally.