Charlotte Football

Iā€™m truly not trying to beat a dead harse butā€¦I noticed something after USFs game today. I believe if they beat WVU on 12/3 they will win the Big Eastā€™s BCS bid. Thatā€™s pretty good success in a short period of time.

Just throwing out another ā€œwhat ifā€ scenario if we had started football 10 years ago. If nothing else weā€™d probably be in the Big East.

[QUOTE=Normmm;140320]Iā€™m truly not trying to beat a dead harse butā€¦I noticed something after USFs game today. I believe if they beat WVU on 12/3 they will win the Big Eastā€™s BCS bid. Thatā€™s pretty good success in a short period of time.

Just throwing out another ā€œwhat ifā€ scenario if we had started football 10 years ago. If nothing else weā€™d probably be in the Big East.[/QUOTE]

And while weā€™re at it letā€™s beat every dead horse:

The observer coverage sucks.

Why is our attendance so low?

Stop wearing other teams colors to our games.

Who likes Judy?

Lets change our name to Charlotte University.

Why are we so reliant on 3ā€™s?

Lutz was taking the UT job.

Why are we called the 49ers?

Did Bonnie Cone hate football?

Student ticket distribution sux.

No more frat letters at games.

The band should play ā€œCall me Alā€.

The acc is afraid to play us.

Matt canā€™t call basketball games.

Matt Dougherty should coach us.

All Packerā€™s suck.

Wfnz has a bad signal.

Did I miss any??

Where can I find some good Niner gear? Everything available sucks.

I hear UNCW is looking into starting football.

[QUOTE] The band should play ā€œCall me Alā€.[/QUOTE]

you missed it tonight we played it in all of its gloryā€¦

[QUOTE=49erpi;140322]

The observer coverage sucks.

Why is our attendance so low?

[/QUOTE]

What are you doing, playing a TV game show? You just gave the one of the answers, then asked the question.

Personal opinion about footballā€¦Nobody on this board should give up on football at UNCC. This board may be the best way to unify the people who care about foot ball against the acadamiannutz in control who continue to keep the football need down. Most of these nutz arenā€™t even graduates of our school. The students, the Alumni and the vast majority of Charlotte wants UNCC to have football. Its not as expensive as the nutz make it out to be. I am no cheerleader, but I think that the nutz are running out of excuses. I truly donā€™t care what their excuse is. The Alumni base and the number of students are getting bigger and bigger. Football in 4 to 5 years is a reasonable goal.

[QUOTE=MeanJoeGreen;140326]Its not as expensive as the nutz make it out to be.[/QUOTE]Mr. Green, with 5 posts currently, go to the [URL=http://www.ninernation.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64][B]Football Forum[/B][/URL] and within it will find the pros and cons. However, I take great exception to the above comment. It would be tremendously expensive to begin a program, less in the long haul to maintain it.

There still is the Title IX question but most importantly IMO, how do you provide 63/85 football scholarships and equal numbers on the other side? Scholarships last season were provided for only 113 of the 133 NCAA allowable in the current sports. And you want to more than double that?

Iā€™m not against the idea, but as long as the NCAA rule is that a D-I program must begin football in D-IAA minimally or D-IA, I have a difficult time seeing it occur unless you are going to eliminate something. Keep in mind that you must have minimum numbers of sports to be in a conference as well as the NCAA.

Hope you have some really deep pockets. All the people who are so gungho on football talk a good game, Iā€™ve yet to hear about any huge checks marked for a football program being received over on University City Boulevard.

[B][I][COLOR=Red]Finally, will a moderator please move this to the proper forum? Thanks![/COLOR][/I][/B]

[QUOTE=HP49er;140328]Mr. Green, with 5 posts currently, go to the [URL=http://www.ninernation.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64][B]Football Forum[/B][/URL] and within it will find the pros and cons. However, I take great exception to the above comment. It would be tremendously expensive to begin a program, less in the long haul to maintain it.

There still is the Title IX question but most importantly IMO, how do you provide 63/85 football scholarships and equal numbers on the other side? Scholarships last season were provided for only 113 of the 133 NCAA allowable in the current sports. And you want to more than double that?

Iā€™m not against the idea, but as long as the NCAA rule is that a D-I program must begin football in D-IAA minimally or D-IA, I have a difficult time seeing it occur unless you are going to eliminate something. Keep in mind that you must have minimum numbers of sports to be in a conference as well as the NCAA.

Hope you have some really deep pockets. All the people who are so gungho on football talk a good game, Iā€™ve yet to hear about any huge checks marked for a football program being received over on University City Boulevard.

[B][I][COLOR=Red]Finally, will a moderator please move this to the proper forum? Thanks![/COLOR][/I][/B][/QUOTE]

Itā€™s pointless to argue with people who are uneducated on this topic. The bottom line is that we need to somehow increase our current budget by ten times and then still have to cut almost every other mens sport to be title IX compliant.

Mr. 49erpi with your 4.3 posts per day, get a life. Last I checked, this is a sports forum. Expensive is a relative term. What D-I football program isnā€™t?

Againā€¦ if Cincinnati lost $1.8 million on football last sesaon, where is the cash gonna come from?

There is such a principle known at budgets, they are to break even or show a profit. The funds are not there and all yuo seem to want to say is do it, money is no object.

It is the [B]ONLY[/B] object.

Iā€™ve heard the budget issue for years, yet we are building a new baseball stadium, golf complex, and a hall of champions. Where is this money coming from?

Does golf and baseball make money? I donā€™t think so.

Do any of our sports make money? Maybe basketball.

If Western Carolina and App. State can field football teams, I see no reason why we shouldnā€™t be able to as well. Woodward even said itā€™s only a matter of time before we field a team. The only question is when?

If a corporation could invest in a new business venture that in the long run would be profitable and gain the company more recognition but the company did not have the cash on hand to fund this new business venture, what would they do? Give up and never invest in anything that they did not have the cash for right then and there. No, I donā€™t think so; corporations almost never have the cash on hand to invest in new business ventures or expansions. They have to raise funds by either borrowing it from the bank or issuing debt or equity. So, why is it that some people have this mentality that since we donā€™t have money right now in our budget for football, that we never could fund football? How can a business or university ever advance itself if it never invests towards bettering itself? What if the university decided not to build the SAC 10 years ago or become a research university all because they didnā€™t have the money on hand to fund them? This the same university that has found the funds (mostly by raising student fees) to build a $48 million student union building but funding football has always been passed off as ridiculous. I believe with well thought out plan we could fund a football program. South Florida found a way several years ago and Old Dominion is finding a way right now. Start with a plan, then set a time table (maybe 10 years), create an endowment fund, and start raising money. It could be done and iā€™m tired of the pessimistic few that it canā€™t.

1.) South Florida received state monies for their football program, something North Carolina does not so, other than indirectly with the operational expenses of buildings like the Barnhardt SAC and the DeanDome.

2.) Old Dominion hasnā€™t come up with the $$$ needed yet to begin their program. Itā€™s still a real possibility they wonā€™t have one.

3.) If it were as simple as adding a football team, it might be easy. But when we and I mean we, as supporters, can not fully scholarship fund the current athletes, how do you add more scholarships? Do we cut aid to the current programs? And I wonā€™t even go back into the Title IX equation. Itā€™s been posted here enough.

Against it no, but when someone calls me asking for a donation for football, Iā€™ll support it. But Iā€™ve yet to hear there is any interest from the big donors about football either.

Talk is cheap folks, open the checkbooks. If you want football, it might have to come by coming up with enough cash to endow the current scholarships, then think about providing the additional funds for another 130-160 scholarships. I do honestly believe if the scholarship $$$ sent to the 49er Club was that much, there would be a push by ALL to think about a football program. The absolute last thing I want to see is something like menā€™s tennis cut just to get a few football scholarships. Also there are minimum numbers of sports that have to be met.

[QUOTE=JaMiNNiNeR;140372]If a corporation could invest in a new business venture that in the long run would be profitableā€¦[/QUOTE]

Oh my God am I sick of this topic.

The pro-football maniacs refuse to understand logic.

Look, you answered your own question. Corporations DO raise/borrow money for PROFITABLE ventures. Div 1 football is NOT profitable at 70% of the schools!!!

If you look at our community/student/alumni SUPPORT for our basketball team (poor is an understatement), what makes you think that the community/student/alumni are going to show up 10X fold and spend 10X fold for a sucky start up 1-AA Football team?!

Iā€™ve said it on record now for the 12,349th time. If we continue to grow as a university and eventually begin to pour SERIOUS money/support into the 49er Club and CURRENT 49er sports, then we will prove ourselves worthy of such a RISKY venture.

Corporations will invest/spend millions on a project ONLY when the research shows a POSITIVE return on their investment. We, as a school/community/alumni/student base have done NOTHINGā€¦let me repeat thatā€¦NOTHING to show that football here would be nothing more than a cash furnace of a failure.

If you disagree. Fine. Show me facts otherwise. Donā€™t use other schools. Use OUR issues and OUR market and OUR demographic and why that data shows football will work here. The ā€œFootball is popularā€ argument is not hard factual data. What another school did is irrelevant to OUR issues. Assumptions do not incite someone to take a $10Million risk.

We need ALOT more time to grow as a universityā€¦ALOT more time to grow 49er pride/supportā€¦and ALOT more time cultivating more big (and small) dollar contributing supporters of the athletic fund.

Againā€¦BEFORE you take a $10million+ risk, you have to PROVE you have a MARKET for the product, a DEMAND for the product and CAPITAL to build and sustain the product.

We have VERY little of each. Solve that problemā€¦and you will get your football. I think the only thing that solves that problem is time. Give us another 10 yrs to grow and we may be in a position to ā€œtackleā€ it then.

We have the same discussions about UNCG starting football. Its definitely not feasible for us, although we have about 15,000 studentsā€¦but we have a hard time filling a 2,200 seat basketball arena.

If you guys donā€™t think Charlotte can support football, then I donā€™t think there is any way Greensboro ever could.

Thereā€™s a story in the paper stating $78,000 was raised at womenā€™s luncheon last week. Will that help us?

It will help the womenā€™s program.

[QUOTE=BPfor3;140385]Thereā€™s a story in the paper stating $78,000 was raised at womenā€™s luncheon last week. Will that help us?[/QUOTE]

It will help the womenā€™s program.

For goodness sake, it seems as if every time someone gets on here and says anything about football like two or three people jump on here and write a dam dissertation on how we canā€™t have it or why it wonā€™t work.

[QUOTE=GSOSpartan;140383]We have the same discussions about UNCG starting football. Its definitely not feasible for us, although we have about 15,000 studentsā€¦but we have a hard time filling a 2,200 seat basketball arena.

If you guys donā€™t think Charlotte can support football, then I donā€™t think there is any way Greensboro ever could.[/QUOTE]

Who knows if Charlotte would support football? Our basketball teams have a pretty good following and usually ranks as one of the better programs in the nation. Other schools in our region seem to support football like ECU, App St., Coastal Carolina, South Carolina, Clemson, and NC State and most of them arenā€™t even that good. I mean the university is only in the largest city in the state of North Carolina and will soon have a student population of 25,000+. I personally feel our school could support football but obviously most of the school administration doesnā€™t think we can because they wonā€™t even make the effort to study the idea.