Charlotte mascot question

When did Charlotte change the mascot from Owls to 49ers?

1949, of course

The wikipedia page was not clear or I just skimmed it too quickly.

I actually thought the 49er mascot was more connected to the gold rush leaving for California (which has a bit of negative slant for North Carolina while a positive thing for California) and not the fight to keep the campus open in 1949. It is a nice bit of history anytime one can stick it to UNC-CHeat which I am sure was part of the push to close the campus back then.

I learned something today, so not a bad day. Thanks.

I want to say 1963 but not 100% sure. I know it coincided with school becoming a 4 year institution.

The wiki page may be wrong then: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_the_Niner

1950, 1952, 1957 still the Owls

1964, 1965, the 49ers

I’m guessing the new mascot was coincident with Charlotte College becoming a 4-year school in 1963.

EDIT: what @run49er said.

That would make sense as would maybe moving to NCAA. I remember watching Charlotte when you were in the Sun Belt and it seems channel.18 carried a few games. 49ers then of course.

Thanks for taking time to send the links.

Does the university celebrate 46, 49 or 63 in terms of age?

46 is recognized as the founding year.

I figured as much. App uses 1899 when it was Watauga Academy.

Thanks for all the info. I think that answers all my questions. I appreciate the time a few of you took to educate me.

clt is embarrassed to say we were in the sun belt

1 Like

clt will need to be embarrassed that we founded the Sun Belt. It’s okay, everybody needs a starter conference.

2 Likes

McAppFan sends his thanks for helping us find a place in FBS football by helping start the Sun Belt.

Now he asks was Charlotte also the school pushing the shot clock in the Sun Belt?

Not sure if Charlotte led the charge for the 45 second shot clock during conference play. Just know that the 22-20 final in the 1978 men’s basketball championship game in which New Orleans beat South Alabama was the main impetus for doing so.

s alabama beat us the the semis in a bit of a slow down game. I almost exploded at the end of that game.

I was ready to explode too. We were much better than USA that year . Cliff Ellis was their coach and I held a grudge against him for a long time.

1 Like

I was there '63-'66, and as best I recall, the student body voted on the mascot 1965-66… I and my friends all voted on the Owls, but the big push by the administration was for the 49ers. Needless to say, the 49ers won. After 50 plus years, I proudly cheer for the 49ers…

2 Likes

I believe we had beaten USA pretty good about a week earlier in a fast paced game. In the tournament USA slowed down the game and it worked to their advantage. Also I was shocked we didn’t even get an NIT bid after what was a pretty good season.

1 Like

Changing topic but want to ask an older alum if you don’t mind.

How excited have you been for football at Charlotte?

clt says the name was changed to 49ers after the belk tower was constructed. The tower was completed on the 49th day of the year, thus the 49ers.