Charlotte to the Big East?

http://collegesportsinfo.com/conference-realignment-grid/\

I found this on CollegeSportsInfo.com. I don’t know if anyone else has seen this. It shows that Charlotte is the biggest candidate for joining the big east out of the a-10. Does anyone know if/when the big east would be planning on expanding to create a basketball-only conference?

[quote=“HXC Niner, post:1, topic:23250”]Does anyone know if/when the big east would be planning on expanding to create a basketball-only conference?[/quote]And where are our other teams supposed to play? Hmmm…

I think the Big East falling apart entirely is more likely than us getting an invite.

The Big East’s TV contract with ESPN expires in a couple of years. the shake up will happen then (its all about $$). our basketball program needs to make a complete 180 to be considered for the Big East. Football coming here will also help. I do think Charlotte has a better chance of joining the BE than most think.

BBall-Only is all other sports.
FBall-Only isn’t.

I was looking through the schools that had color codes, & what he wrote about UNO makes no sense.

1/20/10: UNO announced they will leave the Sunbelt for D3

Overview:
Tough economic times. Might be forced to make atheltic department budget cuts. They already sponsor less sports than mandated by the Sunbelt and the NCAA and could be forced to downgrade to D2.

Hey dumby, D2 isn’t a downgrade from D3. You even acknowledge they announced D3.

Also, if Winthrop were getting FB, we’d have heard about it. Also, the article doesn’t pull up.

NEWS: 7/1/2008:
Winthrop considers adding football

little interest from other conferences.

The Charlotte TV market may also be a selling point.

And of course we have The Charlotte Observer! lol

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:5, topic:23250”]BBall-Only is all other sports.[/quote]As Ricky would say to Lucy, you have some 'xplaining on that one! ::slight_smile:

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:6, topic:23250”]I was looking through the schools that had color codes, & what he wrote about UNO makes no sense.

1/20/10: UNO announced they will leave the Sunbelt for D3

Overview:
Tough economic times. Might be forced to make atheltic department budget cuts. They already sponsor less sports than mandated by the Sunbelt and the NCAA and could be forced to downgrade to D2.

Hey dumby, D2 isn’t a downgrade from D3. You even acknowledge they announced D3.[/quote]
Makes plenty of sense. When originally written, UNO was in dire straits due to Katrina, etc., and author noted that their athletic program could be forced to downgrade. And as we’ve known for some time on this board, the decision was made to abandon D-I for D-III, which means UNO doesn’t have to pony up for any athletic scholarships, etc.

If Charlotte could get into the Big East that would be fantastic! Only if other teams don’t the conference tho.

i’ll take the big east and won’t bat an eyelash. even if it does lose a few of its current teams.

On Conference Realignment and the Consolidation of Power, RushtheCourt.net

That is all these conferences are about now. Market share.

That is all these conferences are about now. Market share.[/quote]
If the Big East is going to bring Charlotte into the fold, then they are doing it on potential and future TV numbers and eyeballs. If you think we are going to deliver ANY viewers in this city… no way. At least not from track record.

However on the flip side the CUSA rival games did decent, which is what we lack now.

If the Big East is going to bring Charlotte into the fold, then they are doing it on potential and future TV numbers and eyeballs. If you think we are going to deliver ANY viewers in this city… no way. At least not from track record.

However on the flip side the CUSA rival games did decent, which is what we lack now.[/quote]

If we ever got on TV consistantly, we might develop a following outside of campus and this messageboard. Even when the CUSA heyday games were on WAXN it generated a buzz. Imagine if we got on network TV regularly? Fans of ACC schools aren’t likely to change their allegiances, but those that are neutral would have a hometown team to finally watch instead of being force fed the ACC all the time.

However on the flip side the CUSA rival games did decent, which is what we lack now.[/quote]

If we ever got on TV consistantly, we might develop a following outside of campus and this messageboard. Even when the CUSA heyday games were on WAXN it generated a buzz. Imagine if we got on network TV regularly? Fans of ACC schools aren’t likely to change their allegiances, but those that are neutral would have a hometown team to finally watch instead of being force fed the ACC all the time.[/quote]

That is the sleeping giant some media members were referring to. It is amazing what constant TV exposure will do for any program.

Imagine what being on local TV could do for the program’s recruiting. It would make a huge impact as we focus on local talent.

How realistic is a possible realignment now? If it holds off for a few years, how realistic is a Charlotte jump to one of the big 6? It seems like we are better known outside of North Carolina than we are in it- does that help us or hurt us? I hate getting worked up about things that I don’t need to, but I fear if it happens now we may be shuffled to the CAA or Southern Conference, not a scenario that I look forward to.

After some thought, The Big East isn’t a pipe dream. Long shot maybe, but not a pipe dream like the SEC or ACC. Charlotte market is solid regardless of the Raleigh/Durham/CH penis envy.

If they get raided, they may be looking for solid Bball programs to sure up there cash cow and we may be able to sell ourselves based on some past performance and the fact that football is coming. Other sports such as soccer, golf, track and expecially baseball will be a plus.

It all really depends on timimg (and our Basketball program). We could land in an ok spot if things fall well, if not, we’re scrambling.