Charlotte to the SoCon - Football Only?

If we joined the SoCon in all sports wouldn’t that push App down in the rankings in everything other than football? Why do they want to be less relevant?

They don’t see it that way.

So far I don’t think the SoCon will be an issue for us.

I really, really, really hate to say this, but, I think we thought that about the A-10 also…

I really, really, really hate to say this, but, I think we thought that about the A-10 also…[/quote]You make a good point, but App is pretty much a middle of the SoCon performer in most sports. Since we perform at or near the top of the A-10 in most but Men’s Basketball I have to believe we would only sadden their existence by adding losses to every sport. Oh that’s right, they are all ACC fans except for football.

Happy Appy in the SoCon
[size=2][font=calibri]Baseball: 6th[/font][/size] [size=2][font=calibri]Men’s Basketball: 6th (tie)[/font][/size] [size=2][font=calibri]Women’s Basketball: 1st[/font][/size] [size=2][font=calibri]Football: 1st[/font][/size] [size=2][font=calibri]Men’s Soccer: 5th[/font][/size] [size=2][font=calibri]Women’s Soccer: 9th[/font][/size] [size=2][font=calibri]Softball: 2nd[/font][/size] [size=2][font=calibri]Men’s Tennis: 4th[/font][/size] [size=2][font=calibri]Women’s Tennis: 7th[/font][/size] [size=2][font=calibri]Volleyball: 5th (tie)[/font][/size] [size=2][font=calibri]Wrestling: 4th[/font][/size]

David Scott is working on a writeup for this in the Goldmine. He did give me a nugget of info though. Apparently Chancellor Dubois himself made the presentation to the SoCon ADs.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:66, topic:25451”]Apparently Chancellor Dubois himself made the presentation to the SoCon ADs.
[/quote]

Oh crap, we’re screwed!

[sniff sniff] do I smell a potential bitter rivalry with the happy Appy in FCS?

What makes me happy is that we’re already relevant to them in football. Think about other programs in the state that we have bitter hate feuds with their fans - say, our old conference mate ECU. Sure, we owned them in basketball, but there was still lots of room for arguing etc. because we were relevant to each other. (This of course spans way outside the state, Cincy fans and Memphis fans sure loved us too!)

We haven’t even played a down and App state fans are already having to “prove themselves” by talking trash about our program amidst their 3 national championships and national FCS prominence. And that my friends, is a sign of relevance.

[quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:68, topic:25451”][sniff sniff] do I smell a potential bitter rivalry with the happy Appy in FCS?

What makes me happy is that we’re already relevant to them in football. Think about other programs in the state that we have bitter hate feuds with their fans - say, our old conference mate ECU. Sure, we owned them in basketball, but there was still lots of room for arguing etc. because we were relevant to each other. (This of course spans way outside the state, Cincy fans and Memphis fans sure loved us too!)

We haven’t even played a down and App state fans are already having to “prove themselves” by talking trash about our program amidst their 3 national championships and national FCS prominence. And that my friends, is a sign of relevance.[/quote]

I can’t wait till the first game…

wouldn’t you be too if you had to play in their arena? It’s like a freaking cavern! Dark and dreary. It also has what looks like cave formations growing on some of the seats - we later found out that it was really just plastic. Of course, the plastic covering those seats was being used to reserve them for their really large and committed fan base. #sarcasm

[quote author=zerogeneticsdc link=topic=29279.msg517679#msg517679 date=1307482179]

Like Dax ;D

[quote=“N1NER, post:67, topic:25451”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:66, topic:25451”]Apparently Chancellor Dubois himself made the presentation to the SoCon ADs.
[/quote]

Oh crap, we’re screwed![/quote]

I’ll bet that The Citadel’s AD liked Phil’s tie.

I'll bet that The Citadel's AD liked Phil's tie.

Unless he wore a black and gold one.

Didn’t know if you guys has seen this, it’s from SouthernPigskin.com.

Single and Eligible and Looking

It seems like the Southern Conference may have found the perfect new member for the conference should App and/or Georgia Southern jump ship to the FBS
Perhaps the league should look no further than the University of North Carolina at Charlotte 49ers, also known as UNCC and Charlotte. The Niners seem to have all the things you would want in a conference member: good school, solid academics, good media market. But there is one major issue that the SoCon and Charlotte do not see eye-to-eye on.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/SOCON/view/single-and-eligible-and-looking

[quote=“The Cats, post:74, topic:25451”]Didn’t know if you guys has seen this, it’s from SouthernPigskin.com.

It seems like the Southern Conference may have found the perfect new member for the conference should App and/or Georgia Southern jump ship to the FBS
Perhaps the league should look no further than the University of North Carolina at Charlotte 49ers, also known as UNCC and Charlotte. The Niners seem to have all the things you would want in a conference member: good school, solid academics, good media market. But there is one major issue that the SoCon and Charlotte do not see eye-to-eye on.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/SOCON/view/single-and-eligible-and-looking[/quote]

BUH-BYE!

If we rejected an offer for full membership from the CAA, why in the HELL would we go to the SoCon?

[quote=“The Cats, post:74, topic:25451”]Didn’t know if you guys has seen this, it’s from SouthernPigskin.com.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/SOCON/view/single-and-eligible-and-looking[/quote]

I seriously don’t think we’ll be playing FBS football before 2020, so I don’t really see the FCS a “stepping stone” per se, as much as it is a starter home. We will play FCS football for a number of years before we will even be considered for FBS, IMO.

That being said, there is no way in hell we are going to the SoCon for all sports. I have a feeling we’ll end up in the Big South as a football only member.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place for Judy: If we don’t tell our fanbase that we have FBS aspirations, we wont get the support we need. If we say we’ll be FCS for the forseeable future, an FCS league might want us, but we’d be liars if we said we weren’t going to jump at the first feasible FBS opportunity.

These people are nuts…no way in hell we’re going SoCon in anything other than football and I wouldn’t commit to pre-determined length of stay either.

I appreciate all the good things he had to say. With that said, Judy Rose stated long ago that we’re adding football in part to boost our basketball program. As we all know, the SoCon is a major step down in basketball. I think the SoCon and all the SoCon fans on the other boards know that. It all depends on your priorities and I think its very clear our priority is building ALL of our programs. SoCon would hurt programs to build one. Not going to happen.

That said - per David Scott on Twitter: Judy Rose :#Charlotte49ers not offered temporary FB-only memberships by SoCon and Big South; CAA last hope or 49ers will be FCS independent

I’d rather be FCS independent anyway and be on a 5 year plan to make the FBS jump.