Chipper to retire after 2012 season

CBSSports.com: Chipper announces he’s done; you can bet Cooperstown is next

Everyone assumed he’d retire in 2010 with Bobby but he didn’t want to out with a torn ACL. He’s definitely my favorite Brave and I hope he has a solid year this year with limited injuries. He should be in line to finish his career over .300. Here’s to hoping there’s a spot waiting for him within the organization.

I’ve been expecting this for the last few years. Just glad he didn’t try to make a push for 3000 hits and risk his career average dropping below .300. I would love to see him return as hitting coach at some point in the future.

Hard to believe the World Series title cam during his rookie season. That doesn’t seem so long ago, and Chipper is only a little older than me. Makes me feel real old when people my age start retiring from professional sports.

I’m not a Braves fan, at all… but Chipper Jones was a class act and one hell of a ball player.

They just don’t make 'em like that anymore.

I’m a big Phillies fan and no one caused more damage to the Phillies than Chipper Jones during his career. I respect him as a player/person, but I hate him as a fan.

I didn’t watch his press conference yesterday. I just couldn’t. It’s hard to imagine the Braves without him.

Mets fans really hate him too. That makes me smile.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:5, topic:26592”]I’m not a Braves fan, at all… but Chipper Jones was a class act and one hell of a ball player.

They just don’t make 'em like that anymore.[/quote]

Early in his career he was not a class act but he was always one hell of a player and became a class act and well respected player later in his career. It really is a shame the Braves never had a decent closer during their string of division titles.

This class act made the top ten most bizzare sex scandals in sports. Congrats Chipper! [size=78%]http://www.spike.com/articles/75814h/the-top-10-most-bizarre-sex-scandals-in-sports[/size]

clt chants “larry, larry, larry”

ESPN.com: Chipper Jones to have knee surgery

He just needs to stay on the DL until July. Then the Braves will have him for the stretch run of they’re in the hunt, or Chipper can have his final farewell tour.

Just feel the need to say this here…

I hate the Braves. OK I feel better.

+1