Cincinnati Reds beer vendor fired for refusing to sell to pregnant woman

actually, she got 2 free ones. so she could have bought another 2 with her money and give her 4 beers!

so actually, the beer guy may have done more harm than good!

1. F*** you.
  2. Eat s***.
  3. Die.[/quote]

lol

Sounds like NLP needs a beer.[/quote]

Just so long as he’s not pregnant.[/quote]

Would explain the mood swings.

[quote=“49or bust, post:15, topic:25587”]Legal stuff: you can never legislate when life begins.[/quote]This reminds me of one of my favorite true stories on this topic. Some years ago, before the days when a child got an SSN at birth, a fellow Niner’s first child was born in January. Shortly following the birth when he did his taxes for the previous year he took the dependent child deduction. I said “You can’t do that, you’ll get busted”. He said “Life begins at conception and we have been feeding this child for 9 months. No way the IRS is going set a precedent that it doesn’t.” He never got audited. :slight_smile:

Legally you can’t sell to minors, & pro-choice & pro-life both agree don’t sell beer to preggos. Cincy is going to get sued by this beer vendor, & the lady will be lucky if the police don’t show up. I’m surprised the cops didn’t show up for the Mgr. either. It’s illegal to sell to preggos. And where was the rest of the people that saw the btch & Mr. btch cause a scene. They should have spoke up for the beer vendor.

I’m pretty sure it isn’t illegal.

This Article, though a couple of years out, discusses the issue: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/553331/can_bars_legally_serve_alcohol_to_pregnant.html?cat=52

Can Bartenders Legally Serve Alcohol to Pregnant Women?
While it would be very sensible for bartenders to be able to use their own judgment when serving pregnant women alcohol, the law says otherwise. According to law, a bartender is unable to refuse to serve a certain group of people, unless there is a reason for them not to, such as drunkenness. What this means is that, legally, a pregnant woman would be able to bring up a lawsuit against a bar if they made the decision to refuse serving her alcohol, based on discrimination. Does that mean that bartenders won’t serve alcohol to pregnant women? No, of course not. Some bars may advise their bartenders not to serve pregnant women alcohol and other bartenders may make the decision to not do so, based on their own personal morals and beliefs - even if it should cause him or her to be fired. Whether or not a bartender should be allowed to does not seem to matter, as the decision to drink alcohol during pregnancy is currently pro-choice.

Of course it would be more interesting if there would be any liability on the part of the vendor if the baby developed complications related to alcohol. Of course, it would be a very difficult case, but I can see it being brought on a duty of care theory (same as liability stemming from serving an obviously drunk person).

clt congrats bob huggins for the grandson/granddaughter on the way.

I am assuming that no one that posted in this thread has had a pregnant wife before. There is nothing wrong with a single drink when you are pregnant. Hell, when my wife’s mother was pregnant, they had her drink a glass of wine each night for her anxiety. My wife is a very healthy, smart, beautiful, Doctor.

He is an idiot for refusing to sell the beer. I would call him an idiot just like I did the fat woman at Starbucks who wanted to make sure my wife knew that coffee was bad for babies.

If it was her third, thats a different story. Absolutely nothing wrong with a pregnant women having a beer. Go talk to a pediatrician…

[quote=“shagg49er, post:27, topic:25587”]I am assuming that no one that posted in this thread has had a pregnant wife before. There is nothing wrong with a single drink when you are pregnant. Hell, when my wife’s mother was pregnant, they had her drink a glass of wine each night for her anxiety. My wife is a very healthy, smart, beautiful, Doctor.

He is an idiot for refusing to sell the beer. I would call him an idiot just like I did the fat woman at Starbucks who wanted to make sure my wife knew that coffee was bad for babies.

If it was her third, thats a different story. Absolutely nothing wrong with a pregnant women having a beer. Go talk to a pediatrician…[/quote]

We have had two children, and my wife did not have any alcohol during either pregnancy. If your wife did, so be it. I hope your kid turns out to be unaffected as it appears that your wife was. 40,000 kids each year are affected by it, and I’m sure some of their mothers thought that it wouldn’t hurt their babies either to have a drink. I’m sure the OBGYN did not advise her to drink, either. As a then future parent of both of our now born children, we took no chances. No seafood, alcohol, etc. I don’t see how anyone could take the risk otherwise when there are so many advisories and doctors telling you not to.

http://www.marchofdimes.com/alcohol_indepth.html

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5350a4.htm

I spent two summers working rides at Carowinds, and of course on every ride it advised pregnant women not to ride. But the official policy was that employees weren’t allowed to ASSUME that someone was pregnant, and therefore if a pregnant woman (no matter how obvious) got in line, she would ride as long as the restraints fit her.

I’ve worked PT at the ABC store for a couple of years now. We have updated training with ABC Law Enforcement officers every 6 months and I’ve never been instructed not to sell to a pregnant woman. As mentioned by others in the thread, this is different than a pregnant woman attempting to buy a cold beer at a concert or sporting event, especially if she tells you its for her.

I’ve had a few pregnant women come into the store and look at me and tell me it’s not for them, that always makes me a feel a little better about the sale. There’s also a large sign posted upon entrance to the store advising women that drinking while pregnant can cause physical and mental birth defects. I think I’ll bring this up at the next training though and see what our local ABC Law Enforcement has to say about it.

So, how long before this woman has an alcoholic baby and then sues the Reds for serving her beer?

[quote=“shagg49er, post:27, topic:25587”]I am assuming that no one that posted in this thread has had a pregnant wife before. There is nothing wrong with a single drink when you are pregnant. Hell, when my wife’s mother was pregnant, they had her drink a glass of wine each night for her anxiety. My wife is a very healthy, smart, beautiful, Doctor.

If it was her third, thats a different story. Absolutely nothing wrong with a pregnant women having a beer. Go talk to a pediatrician…[/quote]

I’m glad your wife is a doctor. My ex-wife was told not to drink anything unless it was O’Doul’s.

It’s not something all doctors will agree on across the board. I’ll say one here or there wouldn’t do anything, but anything over that is a chance nobody should take.

I think you’re way off base with this comment. I know I’m not alone in saying it, but I have 2 children, and no way was my wife drinking during pregnancy, nor would she even think of it.

The other thing that bothers me about your position is the enormous logical leap that this woman was/is drinking in any moderation (a single glass of wine to calm her nerves). If you’re pounding beers at a ballgame, the presumption, if there is one, is that it’s quite the opposite.

VA also brings up a great point, and if I were the vendor, I would refuse to sell to pregnant women as protection from potential liability. Not to mention moral grounds.

I have two kids and both times the docs told my wife not to drink alcohol. Yes, an occasional glass of wine every now and then probably would not have done any harm but why in the world take that chance? We just added alcohol to that long list of other stuff to avoid.

My wife did a lot of research when she was pregnant with our child and was told by doctors that red wine in the third trimester is ok (limited to one glass a day). She didn’t want to risk it though. Plus there wasn’t much of a third trimester thanks to a little guy that wanted to greet the world a couple months early.

Shagg I can’t believe you’re promoting alcohol for babies. & Caffeine should be in moderation for preggos, & Starbucks is not in moderation.

Giving alcohol to a pregnant woman is serving alcohol to someone under 21 because the baby is obviously underage.

off topic but, can a married 21 year old man give alcohol to his 20 yr old wife? or would he be charged with aiding to the delinquency of a minor or whatever.

i assume its still illegal but didnt know…

[quote=“cibik02, post:37, topic:25587”]off topic but, can a married 21 year old man give alcohol to his 20 yr old wife? or would he be charged with aiding to the delinquency of a minor or whatever.

i assume its still illegal but didnt know…[/quote]

illegal

Illegal cibiki, but if you do it in your own house, who knows about it?

I have a step-cousin, she says don’t drink until you quit breast feeding because you don’t want the baby drunk.