Class of 2021 MBB recruiting thread

TRANSFER PORTAL:

Now, there are a few easy steps to the process:

1. The athlete tells his/her compliance office that he/she wants to transfer.

2. The compliance office has two business days to digitally register that athlete in the portal.

3. Coaches can see who is in the portal, but it is not public information.

4. Athletes can withdraw from the portal; it’s then up to the school to decide whether to take that athlete back and restore his/her scholarship.

Also, once the athlete enters the portal, he or she can decide whether to include personal contact information so that interested schools can reach out. Some opt to not include that information; on plenty of occasions, the transferring athlete already has an idea about potential destinations and prefers not to essentially open up a recruiting process to everyone.

Push the pace? What’s that?

1 Like

Niners land Holy Cross transfer 6-5 SG Austin Butler, an All-Patriot League second-team selection who averaged 16 ppg and 8.7 rpg this season. Taking advantage of the extra season granted by the NCAA.

https://mobile.twitter.com/austinbutler44/status/1377781148345102336?s=19

https://mobile.twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1377784719694237696

2 Likes

More on Butler:

1 Like

See that Butler had a career high 30 points in his final game as a Crusader vs Boston U on February 24th.

Unfortunately, COVID-19 prevented Holy Cross from participating in the Patriot League tournament.

1 Like

Niners have contacted Monmouth transfer 6-6 SF Melik Martin. The third team all-MAAC selection averaged 12.5 ppg and 5.7 rpg this season for the Hawks. Like, Butler, also from Pennsylvania:

1 Like

I like this! Over 100 games college games under his belt and can shoot. This is basically Jackson Threadgill BUT with 4 years of experience.

So why is the transfer portal bad? Get 3-5 more of these players. We NEED the transfer portal! Our roster this past year was TERRIBLE!!! When players don’t meet expectations, send them in the portal and upgrade. Sanchez needs the portal to save his ass because he isn’t bringing in the freshman we need.

1 Like

Martin had a career high 24 points vs Rider just prior to the MAAC tournament. In looking over his stats, was a consistent double digit scorer during the last two thirds of the season.

1 Like

Vids featuring Butler:

And highlights from the BU game in which Butler scored 30:

And a Monmouth “Play of the Day” featuring Martin:

1 Like
3 Likes

We have been missing that leader on the floor. It is a lot to ask of a guy just transferring in for one year, but I hope he takes the reins.

3 Likes

Well, young has the reigns right???

Young definitely doesn’t have the reins. I wish he would make this his team, but I think he just isn’t that guy.

1 Like

More praise for AB - this from a play-by-play voice for NESN and ESPN+:

1 Like