clt asks about MLS coming to CLT

clt wonders if our field is being designed to host soccer games.

ZL would love to see this become a reality, but knows that there is little to no chance.

Read an article the other day about how Charlotte is one of the top spots if not the top spot for MLS expansion once MLS decides to move southward. Unfortunately they are already expanding to Montreal and most likely adding another New York team for 2012 so the Eastern Conference will have 10 teams like the West does. So any southern expansion is not likely before 2015. or even by 2020. and even then Miami already has up a website and a huge grassroots campaign.

similarly, major league lacrosse is coming in 2012.

The season is played during the summer.

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2011/01/21/mll-expanding-charlotte-columbus-2012-season

Side Note: Garber of the MLS notes rivalries as important and that if Miami gets a team, Tampa or Orlando would too, if Atlanta gets a team then Charlotte most likely would. Most likely all 4 cities will have teams at somepoint.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. I would instantly become a season ticket holder.

O-Layyyyyyyyyyyy, O-Lay, O-Lay, O-Lay

Miami’s already had its chance with the MLS, and the franchise either folded or moved. Eff 'em.

The Southeast needs a team, wouldn’t be surprised to see it land in Charlotte. However, you could argue the league already has too many teams and not enough fans.

Can you post the link to the article?

MLS has been pretty smart about the markets they have expanded into recently in my opinion. If you look at Toronto, Seattle, Salt Lake City, Philadelphia, they have all had good attendance and have created a buzz in those markets.

Unfortunately, I don’t think Charlotte would support a team like those markets.

As much as I hate to say it… I wouldn’t be surprised if a team landed in NC if it wasn’t in Raleigh-Durham. Didn’t the Womens US Nat’l team play there a couple years ago at their soccer facility/complex?

I would love to have an MLS team in CLT or NC in general.

MLS has been pretty smart about the markets they have expanded into recently in my opinion. If you look at Toronto, Seattle, Salt Lake City, Philadelphia, they have all had good attendance and have created a buzz in those markets.

Unfortunately, I don’t think Charlotte would support a team like those markets.[/quote]

Charlotte has a large international community, so the people are there. The question would be whether or not it would support the MLS when they’re used to watching the EPL and Spanish leagues.

You also factor in how many youth play soccer in the area - you would pull initial fans from youth and their families. You could argue we would literally grow our fanbase.

[quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:12, topic:24880”]As much as I hate to say it… I wouldn’t be surprised if a team landed in NC if it wasn’t in Raleigh-Durham. Didn’t the Womens US Nat’l team play there a couple years ago at their soccer facility/complex?

I would love to have an MLS team in CLT or NC in general.[/quote]

How many latinos are in RDU vs CLT? That is a built in fan base.

I would also say it depends on venue to play in. Nothing in RDU can compare with BOA, but would the Richardsons allow it?

The biggest thing MLS has going for it are the fans. I remember reading that MLS fans typically are more dedicated to their teams than fans of other sports. I don’t know for sure how they measure that, but it could play into why they are successful in supporting teams and why they are and will continue expanding.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:14, topic:24880”]How many latinos are in RDU vs CLT? That is a built in fan base.

I would also say it depends on venue to play in. Nothing in RDU can compare with BOA, but would the Richardsons allow it?[/quote]

I would prefer a soccer specific stadium. They’re cheaper to build and create the right atmosphere. Ever been to a DC United game? The place just swallows noise and it’s easy to fall asleep during a game.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:14, topic:24880”][quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:12, topic:24880”]As much as I hate to say it… I wouldn’t be surprised if a team landed in NC if it wasn’t in Raleigh-Durham. Didn’t the Womens US Nat’l team play there a couple years ago at their soccer facility/complex?

I would also say it depends on venue to play in. Nothing in RDU can compare with BOA, but would the Richardsons allow it?[/quote]

Nothing is worse than an MLS game in a gigantic NFL stadium.

Also, you can’t just assume that just because there are a lot of latinos in the area, it automatically means they will buy season/single game tickets or watch on TV. They may not have the means to do those things or they may just not care to support a new league team when they can follow their teams from back home weekly on Univision/Telemundo etc.

MLS has made that mistake in the past (see Miami and Tampa Bay). I think their strategy now is to expand into cities that have a grassroots movement already in the works (i.e. Sons of Ben in Philadelphia).

[quote=“SteauA, post:17, topic:24880”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:14, topic:24880”][quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:12, topic:24880”]As much as I hate to say it… I wouldn’t be surprised if a team landed in NC if it wasn’t in Raleigh-Durham. Didn’t the Womens US Nat’l team play there a couple years ago at their soccer facility/complex?

Also, you can’t just assume that just because there are a lot of latinos in the area, it automatically means they will buy season/single game tickets or watch on TV. They may not have the means to do those things or they may just not care to support a new league team when they can follow their teams from back home weekly on Univision/Telemundo etc.

MLS has made that mistake in the past (see Miami and Tampa Bay). I think their strategy now is to expand into cities that have a grassroots movement already in the works (i.e. Sons of Ben in Philadelphia).[/quote]

Thanks, I typed the equivalent of this post yesterday only to click the wrong part of the tab in googlechrome and delete it. I gave up after that.

[quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:18, topic:24880”][quote=“SteauA, post:17, topic:24880”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:14, topic:24880”][quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:12, topic:24880”]As much as I hate to say it… I wouldn’t be surprised if a team landed in NC if it wasn’t in Raleigh-Durham. Didn’t the Womens US Nat’l team play there a couple years ago at their soccer facility/complex?

MLS has made that mistake in the past (see Miami and Tampa Bay). I think their strategy now is to expand into cities that have a grassroots movement already in the works (i.e. Sons of Ben in Philadelphia).[/quote]

Thanks, I typed the equivalent of this post yesterday only to click the wrong part of the tab in googlechrome and delete it. I gave up after that.[/quote]

Fair enough - I am a casual soccer fan so I will bow to someone who knows more. I was just remembering how many people were at the Mexico/Finland game at BOA and I heard that it was a great atmosphere, but I can understand that if you don’t have enough fans there it would suck (kind of like when we played at the coliseum on Tyvola). The choices for stadiums would just be tough though. Current budgets mean no city would help fund building a soccer only stadium and all the nice stadiums that currently exist are primarily for football.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:19, topic:24880”][quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:18, topic:24880”][quote=“SteauA, post:17, topic:24880”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:14, topic:24880”][quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:12, topic:24880”]As much as I hate to say it… I wouldn’t be surprised if a team landed in NC if it wasn’t in Raleigh-Durham. Didn’t the Womens US Nat’l team play there a couple years ago at their soccer facility/complex?

Thanks, I typed the equivalent of this post yesterday only to click the wrong part of the tab in googlechrome and delete it. I gave up after that.[/quote]

Fair enough - I am a casual soccer fan so I will bow to someone who knows more. I was just remembering how many people were at the Mexico/Finland game at BOA and I heard that it was a great atmosphere, but I can understand that if you don’t have enough fans there it would suck (kind of like when we played at the coliseum on Tyvola). The choices for stadiums would just be tough though. Current budgets mean no city would help fund building a soccer only stadium and all the nice stadiums that currently exist are primarily for football.[/quote]

…wait for it… Upgrade Memorial Stadium!