clt asks about MLS coming to CLT

That Stadium in Tampa that they unveiled renderings for comes with a price tag of almost $ 1 Billion and they have no idea where the funding will come from. Is that the going rate for a MLB Stadium, and if so, I’m not sure where that money is gonna come from if Charlotte wants a team.

With pending improvements to BofA Stadium and building a practice facility for the Panthers, I’m sure the taxpayers will be asked to foot some of that bill. Who knows how much?

As much as I would love to see MLB here, I just don’t think Charlotte can afford it, and I also question whether the fans here will support a team that will likely not win that often.

MLS is a much cheaper option, and it could happen very easily. Even though MLS wouldn’t prefer it, they could play at BofA Stadium. Tepper has had 2 press conferences since taking over the Panthers and has mentioned MLS in both pressers without even being asked about it. It is going to happen here, probably really soon.

I can see MLS at BOA while practice facility with soccer design is built. I thought we would land soccer before, but now I am certain of it. Raleigh can kiss my ass. MLS is growing and is coming here.

2 Likes

Depends on what division the team would be in imo. If a Charlotte team is playing the Red Sox, Yankees, and Orioles I could see it getting some support. Other than the Braves I’m not sure the NL East has enough star power teams to get fans to come out. The Braves have been bad for a while but appear to be on the way up but still have a lot of fans in the area that would love to drive to Charlotte instead of Atlanta to catch a game.

clt says Harper will be a cub next year, but the NL east is still strong.

Went to the Liverpool vs Borussia Dortmund game today at BofA. Announced attendance of 55,000 treated with a 2 goal performance by Christian Pulisic, though I’m sure the diehard fans of the Reds would have preferred a scoreless outing by the American phenom!

1 Like

Couple of interesting Liverpool vs Dortmund post game pieces about the latter’s American superstar.

https://sports.yahoo.com/christian-pulisic-stopped-security-dragging-away-young-fan-take-selfie-025431076.html

https://sports.yahoo.com/illegal-give-christian-pulisic-man-match-liverpool-120042348.html

clt says spoiler alert!

[Tepper’s goal] also includes a 230-acre development in nearby Rock Hill, extensive renovations to Bank of America Stadium if the MLS bid is approved, possible construction of a soccer practice facility, turning the football practice facility into conference space and further uptown Charlotte development. Within a decade, he says, he hopes to build a new retractable-dome stadium, with taxpayer help, that would turn the city into a contender for every major concert tour and sporting event. …

Tepper has his eyes on the big prize: a new retractable-dome stadium in uptown Charlotte at some point in the next decade that would host the Panthers, an MLS team, a robust rotation of concerts, Final Fours and Super Bowls.

1 Like

There would be no rotation of super bowls and final fours. Wed likely get one od each and then newer stafiums built later would get future events.

I hooe the city of charlotte declines to help. The NFL will never approve moving the team out of the Carolinas. Worst case, the state of.south Carolina foots the bill and I have to drive 15 miles to see the team play instead.

I love the stadium uptown, but id much rather see hundreds of millions go to light rail, parks, and greenways.

And if the even worse than the worst case happens and Tepper moves the team to St Louis, then fans can come to 49er games. We have football, beer, and the Big Cat.

1 Like

2nd richest owner in the NFL wants public help to replace a stadium that works perfectly fine so that he can make more money?

No.

I’m a huge sports fan, would love to go to MLS games, but no. I won’t vote to approve funding. And I won’t drive to SC to go to a game. Just won’t happen, just like it didn’t when the Knights played in Fort Mill. I’ve been to several games since the Knights moved uptown. I went to 1 game in the previous 15 years when they were in Fort Mill.

Richest. Paul Allen died.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article233343242.html

Building a retractable dome that could host the Panthers and a MLS team would keep a MLB team out of Charlotte for the foreseeable future.

Had Charlotte not built the Spectrum Center for the Bobcats, would the Expos have moved here? Many of the NCAA first round and regional games, CIAA Tournaments, and ACC Tournaments the Cable Box has hosted could have been played in the Tyvola Road Coliseum. Charlotte lost many ACC Tournaments to Greensboro because Greensboro’s Coliseum was larger when Time Warner opened.

Charlotte would be better off with the Expos/Patriots/Bankers than the NBA’s Bobcats/Hornets. MLB will expand by 2 teams when Oakland and Tampa Bay resolve their stadium issues. Montreal, Portland, Mexico City, and Charlotte are the best cities available. Tepper knows that and wants to keep competition out. He will bid NC and SC against each other to secure the best new stadium deal for himself.

clt would trade the Jordan brand hornets for a mls team

Clt needs to demand something besides an even swap, Hell, Jordan might give Clt a guaranteed contract in the deal.

clt isnt wearing jordan brand crap. what a concept, take nike gear and put a basketball logo on fb gear.

I personally wouldn’t trade an old expired packet of raisins for an MLS team

2 Likes