clt asks what should replace the belk tower?

a much bigger and more impressive lipstick with water falls coming down all around it with a rotating C-Pick at the top with industrial strength flood lights that let you see it from uptown

Two most annoying aspects of this:

1- Playing it off like it’s a safety issue and their hands are tied. Maybe it is unsafe, but there are ways to renovate it if they want. It doesn’t HAVE to be destroyed. They WANT it destroyed, so they can renovate the entire quad. But they can’t just say that. They have to make it sound like there’s no choice.

2- Turning this late Friday bad news announcement into a potential fundraiser. Asking for money to buy chunks of the tower after they destroy it. It’s like a bad guy kidnapping your wife and then asking for money for her dead body.

Well since Dubois has been Chancellor there’s been talk of replacing it, so none of this sudden “safety” crap flies with me.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:23, topic:29896”]Well since Dubois has been Chancellor there’s been talk of replacing it, so none of this sudden “safety” crap flies with me.[/quote] Surely you are not accusing our beloved chancellor of deception and/or lying. Better be careful or he will release the hounds upon you.

my first assignment after arriving on campus was to “coordinate” the dedication of the tower. i sorta like it.

Statue of Phil enclosed in wire with 10,000 pigeons inside. Pigeons to be dosed with bird laxative hourly and fed well. Wire enclosure to stay in place until structurally unsound, then replaced as needed.

I wasn’t really pissed until it became obvious that the whole “structurally unsound” business was just a dodge to keep CHP from owning his decision. This is a real chicken sh’t move on his part.

[quote=“Sideshow, post:22, topic:29896”]Two most annoying aspects of this:

1- Playing it off like it’s a safety issue and their hands are tied. Maybe it is unsafe, but there are ways to renovate it if they want. It doesn’t HAVE to be destroyed. They WANT it destroyed, so they can renovate the entire quad. But they can’t just say that. They have to make it sound like there’s no choice.

2- Turning this late Friday bad news announcement into a potential fundraiser. Asking for money to buy chunks of the tower after they destroy it. It’s like a bad guy kidnapping your wife and then asking for money for her dead body.[/quote]

I have heard that the tower is not a safety threat for another 12 - 18 months. There is no rush to tear down the tower for safety reasons. Sounds like they thought they would sneak this by everyone with a Friday afternoon e-mail saying they were tearing it down in less than 2 months.

Also, the $2 mill has already been set aside for demolition and upgrading the quad area. There would be no need for fundraising since $ has already been budgeted.

What? The Belk Tower isn’t the most beautiful thing in the world, but it’s kind of iconic for our campus. It’s a great meeting place, and I can’t imagine campus without it.

I said this to some, but I’ll repeat it here.

That quad needs updating. It also probably just kills the admin that the brick on belk tower isn’t morrocroft. The madness. If it can structurally not be fixed or would raise the cost (doesn’t exactly seem to be the case) why not demo it and since the tower is in sections keep the top portion and incorporate it as a monument into the new design. That way the history remains, you address structural concerns, and it would help to possibly blend the old side of campus with the newer side. Just a thought.

I’m old school graduate and the Belk Tower was kind of a joke, even back then. Didn’t mind it, but it looked so much like a dildo it really was just a joke. The school should use it’s own Architecture School to design the soon to be vacated space. Not pay a nickel for design. Schools, Universities need to protect their $$s as scarce resources. As far as what? I really don’t care. Something not expensive? Go Niners.

clt agrees with the Riley Tower idea from another thread.

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:29, topic:29896”]I said this to some, but I’ll repeat it here.

That quad needs updating. It also probably just kills the admin that the brick on belk tower isn’t morrocroft. The madness. If it can structurally not be fixed or would raise the cost (doesn’t exactly seem to be the case) why not demo it and since the tower is in sections keep the top portion and incorporate it as a monument into the new design. That way the history remains, you address structural concerns, and it would help to possibly blend the old side of campus with the newer side. Just a thought.[/quote]

Way too much thinking there. They are going to tear it down and design an area compatible with the Student Union area, but will be surrounded by modernist architecture. It would take a group of designers likely out of our price range to truly do a great job keeping the existing design vocabulary while making a functional space for students to enjoy.

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:29, topic:29896”]I said this to some, but I’ll repeat it here.

That quad needs updating. It also probably just kills the admin that the brick on belk tower isn’t morrocroft. The madness. If it can structurally not be fixed or would raise the cost (doesn’t exactly seem to be the case) why not demo it and since the tower is in sections keep the top portion and incorporate it as a monument into the new design. That way the history remains, you address structural concerns, and it would help to possibly blend the old side of campus with the newer side. Just a thought.[/quote]

This is a good idea to keep the top portion of the tower. I would like the replacement to be tall and visually striking as this is the center of campus.

A statue of Demon Brown…hair dryer in hand.

How about we make it a 4 member statue? Demon, Cam Stephens lighting one up and Judy showing off a new pant suit ---- and the 4th statue being Plavich shooting from the Denny quad.

[quote=“Tyro Niner, post:33, topic:29896”][quote=“CharSFNiners, post:29, topic:29896”]I said this to some, but I’ll repeat it here.

This is a good idea to keep the top portion of the tower. I would like the replacement to be tall and visually striking as this is the center of campus.[/quote] CHP isn’t going to approve anything taller than him.

Nothing. Replace it with itself repaired or else fire the Chancellor!

This is the best thing SCK has ever said. I almost spit my water all over my monitor at work.

It doesn’t look very nice, most people in charlotte don’t know it exists, most alumni have no connection to it, students have very little connection to it. There isn’t much promise to its future based on the degradation of it over the last decade. It has an estimate cost of a million dollars to fix based on the last few years of lack of upkeep and management.

Oh wait, sorry. I was talking about Charlotte basketball. Wrong thread.

[quote=“ninerID, post:39, topic:29896”]It doesn’t look very nice, most people in charlotte don’t know it exists, most alumni have no connection to it, students have very little connection to it. There isn’t much promise to its future based on the degradation of it over the last decade. It has an estimate cost of a million dollars to fix based on the last few years of lack of upkeep and management.

Oh wait, sorry. I was talking about Charlotte basketball. Wrong thread.[/quote]

I laffed