clt asks what should replace the belk tower?

clt recommends a nice brick tower with usb ports and free wifi.

I have heard this is what Phil is proposing. A 50’ tall appletini glass.

I vote either another Matt Stafford statue or maybe a statue of Judy in a pant suit that sparkles.

If we were to erect a statue of Bonnie and put it there that is about the only way I can be ok with this.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:3, topic:29896”]I vote either another Matt Stafford statue or maybe a statue of Judy in a pant suit that sparkles.

If we were to erect a statue of Bonnie and put it there that is about the only way I can be ok with this.[/quote]

This is a great idea. May still be good to have some type of tower there, but incorporating a statue of Bonnie next to it would be outstanding.

How about an elevated stage that street preachers can use while yelling at students?

What about a well like they have in chapel hill?

#belktower may trend on Twitter. Lots of people angry. Even read marriage proposals happened there.

You can’t take down the Belk Tower, you commie anti-tradition bastards!

Rebuild the belk tower using stone instead of that white concrete stuff put a statue of Bonnie Cone on the “ink bottle” empty pedestal thing that is next to it. Every good university should have a bell tower and a statue of the founder.

clt thinks this may be a fundraising plan. 1m is not a lot of money.

I feel like the only not only okay, but happy its coming down.

Lets put something not hideous to be the centerpiece of our campus.

[quote=“Ninerfan2012, post:11, topic:29896”]I feel like the only not only okay, but happy its coming down.

Lets put something not hideous to be the centerpiece of our campus.[/quote]

What is hideous to one person may not be hideous to another person. Even if it is hideous, it’s not always such a bad thing if it speaks of tradition and has historical significance. That “hideous” tower is probably the most noted landmark on campus now, and it’s been there for roughly 50 years.

I personally like the idea of keeping it with a permanently green illumination system.

I don’t want to see it come down, but I’m not upset about it.

It’s ugly, it doesn’t fit with campus, it’s very 70s looking and our campus is now much better than it was. That 70s look where we have buildings that are designed to look like polaroid cameras from 1978 is fading, and maybe so should this.

It’s nothing sentimental to me personally.

A petition was started on Change.org. Seems to be a lot of support in keeping it on Twitter.

[quote=“49r9r, post:6, topic:29896”]What about a well like they have in chapel hill?[/quote] Where’d you get that idea? ;D

A pool. I would make it to campus more often than just for sporting events. I’ve seen some beach pools have web cams, just sayin

I like its sentimental value, but also so that this is one piece of our campus that doesn’t scream “we only started this school in 2005”. I wish we still had an old barn on campus. I’d even like a new building that was barn shaped just so we could tell visitors “see that building, its shaped like that because we started as an upstart in a barn”. The university needs an identity.

The Belk tower is one small piece that we can claim as some sort of identity. If it comes down we need another bell tower that at least closely resembles it. Look at state, that bell tower is plastered one everything they do because it represents something distinct to their campus.

[quote=“aosbor18, post:17, topic:29896”]I like its sentimental value, but also so that this is one piece of our campus that doesn’t scream “we only started this school in 2005”. I wish we still had an old barn on campus. I’d even like a new building that was barn shaped just so we could tell visitors “see that building, its shaped like that because we started as an upstart in a barn”. The university needs an identity.

The Belk tower is one small piece that we can claim as some sort of identity. If it comes down we need another bell tower that at least closely resembles it. Look at state, that bell tower is plastered one everything they do because it represents something distinct to their campus.[/quote]

Agree with everything except the barn.

If it has to come down build something bigger, taller, and not made of brick.

You never know when you might want to have your photo taken with a bride-to-be that you do not know.

:slight_smile: