clt asks what should replace the belk tower?

I see what you did there… :wink:

Banners/Flags/Signs

Handheld banners/signs are approved as long as they represent good sportsmanship and do not block the view of others. Flags are approved; however, flag poles are not allowed and flags cannot block the view of others. Banners must not bear the logo or other identification of any company which is a business conflict with athletic department partners. All banners, flags, or signs must be flame retardant material and may not be affixed to or draped over any part of the stadium structure.

not my personal favorite, but i imagine many on this twisted board would welcome a dog with lifted-leg, eternally peeing on judy’s office. who’s the first to donate?

I’ve heard CHP is the one who wants it torn down. Perhaps it can be his office instead. And can the dog be taking a dump?

[quote=“4ever niner, post:55, topic:29896”][quote=“trickynbc, post:51, topic:29896”]Tear the mofo down. It has no purpose. Build something useful there.[/quote] It has purpose. I know this might to hard to comprehend, but there are objects that are objectively ugly, but subjectively beautiful.
Your girlfriend gives you some GOD AWFUL ring and you wear it because she gave it to you. Later on, you get older, make a ton of money and can afford a big ole pimp style diamond ring, but you keep wearing that ring she gave you years ago. That mofo is a link between most of us who have attended UNC Charlotte and for those of us who are getting on in age, a link to the memory of our youth. That’s pretty damned useful, Phil.[/quote]

So do your memories disappear if the tower is gone?

[quote=“trickynbc, post:65, topic:29896”][quote=“4ever niner, post:55, topic:29896”][quote=“trickynbc, post:51, topic:29896”]Tear the mofo down. It has no purpose. Build something useful there.[/quote] It has purpose. I know this might to hard to comprehend, but there are objects that are objectively ugly, but subjectively beautiful.
Your girlfriend gives you some GOD AWFUL ring and you wear it because she gave it to you. Later on, you get older, make a ton of money and can afford a big ole pimp style diamond ring, but you keep wearing that ring she gave you years ago. That mofo is a link between most of us who have attended UNC Charlotte and for those of us who are getting on in age, a link to the memory of our youth. That’s pretty damned useful, Phil.[/quote]

So do your memories disappear if the tower is gone?[/quote]

I don’t think keeping the tower or taking it down has a massive impact on the future of the university. I do think though that many current students and alums have a connection that is going to be lost with its removal. For me, the really huge issues are that this was done with zero input from students or alums. This is obviously a large and passionate topic and two key groups were not consulted. Second is that is was communicated out late on a friday for a reason. They don’t want to consult anyone. The frame up of the argument to remove it is around money only to find out that they have more money set aside than what it would cost to fix it. If they want to get rid of it they need to be clear as to why - CHP just wants it gone. Finally announcing that you are going to tear it down without any vision communicated to what is replacing it stokes the fire. Had they consulted other groups then said yes we are removing it but in consultation with alumni and students this is what is going in it’s place people may have been able to get over it, but pushing it through with lack of transparency and then saying don’t worry trust us it will be cool doesn’t really fly. As I said if they had said the tower is coming down but a statue of Bonnie is going in it’s place that would be great. But do you trust Phil at this point to make a solid decision? Hell it might just be a brick plaza with nothing there, or it might be a replica of the old well at chapel hill, or it might be something really cool but I don’t trust him or the board given their conduct on the subject thus far.

Classic case of “Don’t know what you got, till it’s gone.” For years we’ve all talked about how ugly that tower is and related it to a dildo, etc. I can see both sides in that yes, it’s history and it’s ours, but at the same time if the damn thing may fall then something needs to be done. I hope a compromise is reached and the tower is repaired and along with a new quad it may look better.

Here is the compromise. $2 mill is budgeted to demolish the tower and improve the quad area. It will take almost $1 mill to fix the tower. Fix the tower and use the $1mill leftover for the quad re-design.

Here is the compromise. $2 mill is budgeted to demolish the tower and improve the quad area. It will take almost $1 mill to fix the tower. Fix the tower and use the $1mill leftover for the quad re-design.[/quote]

That was easy.

It’s a communication issue. Present the replacement design at the same time you announce that the tower is failing, and then be open to public feedback.

I wonder how many opinions would be swayed on either side by the proposed replacement.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:70, topic:29896”]It’s a communication issue. Present the replacement design at the same time you announce that the tower is failing, and then be open to public feedback.

I wonder how many opinions would be swayed on either side by the proposed replacement.[/quote] That’s an idea. Right now all they have is the knowledge that a committee will be formed to redesign the quad. In other words, they have no current plan except to remove the tower.

[quote=“trickynbc, post:65, topic:29896”][quote=“4ever niner, post:55, topic:29896”][quote=“trickynbc, post:51, topic:29896”]Tear the mofo down. It has no purpose. Build something useful there.[/quote] It has purpose. I know this might to hard to comprehend, but there are objects that are objectively ugly, but subjectively beautiful.

So do your memories disappear if the tower is gone?[/quote] If I bash you upside the head will you stop bleeding at some point? You will. Doesn’t mean I should do it.

This entire thing is so baffling to me. It is LITERALLY the only iconic thing we have. You can’t just “redesign” history. And spending 2 million to save 1 million is the type of logic i expect from this leadership.

Its not just that the decision is wrong that bothers me. Its the deception in the communication.

[quote=“casstommy, post:73, topic:29896”]This entire thing is so baffling to me. It is LITERALLY the only iconic thing we have. You can’t just “redesign” history. And spending 2 million to save 1 million is the type of logic i expect from this leadership.

Its not just that the decision is wrong that bothers me. Its the deception in the communication.[/quote]

^ exactly. so what can we do? anything?

[quote=“casstommy, post:73, topic:29896”]This entire thing is so baffling to me. It is LITERALLY the only iconic thing we have. You can’t just “redesign” history. And spending 2 million to save 1 million is the type of logic i expect from this leadership. [/quote]Exactly! On a campus where everything looks nice but is essentially cookie cutter, the Belk Tower is a differentiation and uniquely ours.

Adding to that, it is just adding to the trend of leaving nothing for alumni to revisit.

The campus is forever going to grow and change, but some things need to stay the same.

[size=3]ALL UNC CHARLOTTE ALUMNI !!!!! You may have heard that Chancellor Dubois has distributed a letter saying the BELK TOWER WILL BE TORN DOWN IN DECEMBER!. We can't let this happen. We need your support to KEEP THE TOWER. We've asked for a meeting with the Chancellor to discuss this unwarranted decision. You can help by going to [url=http://www.keepthetower.com]www.keepthetower.com[/url] and telling us about your memories of you 'tower time' while on campus, and, there is a link to sign a petition to SAVE THE TOWER! Sign it. [/size]

[size=3]UNC wouldn’t let the ‘Old Well’ get in this shape and then just tear it down. NC State wouldn’t allow the Memorial Bell Tower to get in poor mechanical shape and then tear it down. Help us fight for one of UNC Charlotte’s iconic symbols that means so much to tens of thousands of alumni. Let’s keep it for future generations of “Niners”! As you can see below…“I ain’t gonna let it go without a fight!”[/size]
[size=3]
And pass this on to other alumni, students and anyone who went to UNC Charlotte, but may not have graduated from there. THEY ALL MUST HAVE HAD ‘TOWER TIME’ THAT MEANS A GREAT DEAL TO THEM. Let’s show the University of North Carolina at Charlotte that this is a decision to be made by us all…it’s our collective memory of what was the center of the campus.[/size]

Here is the compromise. $2 mill is budgeted to demolish the tower and improve the quad area. It will take almost $1 mill to fix the tower. Fix the tower and use the $1mill leftover for the quad re-design.[/quote]

That was easy.[/quote]

Only if $1M is enough to do the required renovations to the quad.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:50, topic:29896”]Was just informed my Letter to the Editor will be in the Observer tomorrow. It’s really just a blurb but here it is:

Chancellor Phil Dubois wants to tear down the only unique thing on the UNC Charlotte campus.
He says $1 million is too much to fix it, but we all know its replacement will likely cost more and be like 500 other clock towers found on college campuses in this nation.
The Belk Tower might not be pretty, but it is unique – and even better, it’s ours!
Do the right thing Chancellor Dubois – fix the Belk Tower![/quote]

2 #BadFans made the paper today

[quote=“4ever niner, post:72, topic:29896”][quote=“trickynbc, post:65, topic:29896”][quote=“4ever niner, post:55, topic:29896”][quote=“trickynbc, post:51, topic:29896”]Tear the mofo down. It has no purpose. Build something useful there.[/quote] It has purpose. I know this might to hard to comprehend, but there are objects that are objectively ugly, but subjectively beautiful.

So do your memories disappear if the tower is gone?[/quote] If I bash you upside the head will you stop bleeding at some point? You will. Doesn’t mean I should do it.[/quote]

It has no functionality more than a cheap memory for some people. But hey if you enjoy looking at long dildos have at it.