clt asks which fanbase is the most annoying?

I picked Cheat for most annoying in-state, but now that Charlotte doesn’t compete with them I don’t know. But historically it would be Cheat fans - they seem to ooze uninformed arrogance. Nationally I’d say Vols and Georgia fans are very close to being the most annoying, very closely followed by Texas and Notre Dame fans.

Cheat fans because so many of them did not actually go to school there. I can’t stand fans that talk mad shit but outside of buying a tshirt have NO connection to the school.

App fans because they love to talk shit during football seasons and then they all become Chapel Hill fans during basketball.

Those are my top 2.

Unc cheat because of the walmart fans. Yes, we aren’t good enough to have walmart fans I know. Maybe one day.

Our fan base in the off season with their crazy freaking predictions on the upcoming season’s success. Some fans are drunk on green koolaid or don’t know college basketball. They may be happy fans though which more power to them.

I agree with the wal mart fan viewpoint.

Here is a question.

If you didn’t go to college or went to a school with no athletics, who is it appropriate to pull for? When is it appropriate to pull for another school at all?

Here’s my take on how this all breaks down. This is rough, suggestions for improvement and additional categories are welcome.

1. Your Alma mater - pulling for a school more than your Alma mater or not supporting your Alma mater at all is a sin and an affront to polite society and I think we can all agree on that.

2. A school that an immediate family member is an alumnus of or student at - acceptable but can never be supported more than your own school.

3. The local college - acceptable - if you don’t have an Alma mater or family connection to a school perhaps you live near a college. Acceptable to support the local team that is part of your community. This is the lowest level of acceptable serious fanship.

4. Supporting a non flagship school in your state that is outside of your own educational experience, family experience or community. - this is dicey. Perhaps you truly have no affiliation with a school and live no where near a college team. Acceptable to be a casual fan but becoming a serious fan at this level seems spurious. Perhaps following pro teams is your best bet here.

• Supporting the high athletic achieving flagship (or most successful athletic program) in your state, despite having no educational, family or community connection and NOT being an alumnus of another school. - people at this level are sad, annoying and perhaps deserve some pity. This is where you see the fans that live and die by a teams success despite the fact they have zero connection to the school. This level is pathetic.
    • Supporting the high athletic achieving flagship (or most successful athletic program) in your state, despite having no educational, family or community connection, but you ARE an alumnus of another school. - at this level your basically consigning your soul to hell, if you even have one. If you had soul you would be supporting your own school.
    • Supporting the high athletic achieving flagship (or most successful athletic program) in your state, despite having no educational, family or community connection, but you ARE an alumnus of another school, AND your support includes financial support beyond tickets and tee shirts. - at this level your basically a criminal.

Thoughts??

[quote=“Gassman, post:24, topic:32321”]I agree with the wal mart fan viewpoint.

Here is a question.

If you didn’t go to college or went to a school with no athletics, who is it appropriate to pull for? When is it appropriate to pull for another school at all?

Here’s my take on how this all breaks down. This is rough, suggestions for improvement and additional categories are welcome.

1. Your Alma mater - pulling for a school more than your Alma mater or not supporting your Alma mater at all is a sin and an affront to polite society and I think we can all agree on that.

2. A school that an immediate family member is an alumnus of or student at - acceptable but can never be supported more than your own school.

3. The local college - acceptable - if you don’t have an Alma mater or family connection to a school perhaps you live near a college. Acceptable to support the local team that is part of your community. This is the lowest level of acceptable serious fanship.

4. Supporting a non flagship school in your state that is outside of your own educational experience, family experience or community. - this is dicey. Perhaps you truly have no affiliation with a school and live no where near a college team. Acceptable to be a casual fan but becoming a serious fan at this level seems spurious. Perhaps following pro teams is your best bet here.

• Supporting the high athletic achieving flagship (or most successful athletic program) in your state, despite having no educational, family or community connection and NOT being an alumnus of another school. - people at this level are sad, annoying and perhaps deserve some pity. This is where you see the fans that live and die by a teams success despite the fact they have zero connection to the school. This level is pathetic.
    • Supporting the high athletic achieving flagship (or most successful athletic program) in your state, despite having no educational, family or community connection, but you ARE an alumnus of another school. - at this level your basically consigning your soul to hell, if you even have one. If you had soul you would be supporting your own school.
    • Supporting the high athletic achieving flagship (or most successful athletic program) in your state, despite having no educational, family or community connection, but you ARE an alumnus of another school, AND your support includes financial support beyond tickets and tee shirts. - at this level your basically a criminal.

Thoughts??[/quote]

clt says this is brilliant.

Seems to me, we are, with all this talk about walmart fans. I hope the new AD can bring in so many damn Walmart fans you guys can’t stand it hahaha.

But in all seriousness, we need casual fans. Every school does. Maybe one day they will turn into alums, but if not, who cares. Not everyone can go to college, and many don’t want to. But if they want to be 49er fans, come on! We sound like the person that says prom sucks because they couldn’t get a date.

[quote=“BusterC417, post:26, topic:32321”]Seems to me, we are, with all this talk about walmart fans. I hope the new AD can bring in so many damn Walmart fans you guys can’t stand it hahaha.

But in all seriousness, we need casual fans. Every school does. Maybe one day they will turn into alums, but if not, who cares. Not everyone can go to college, and many don’t want to. But if they want to be 49er fans, come on! We sound like the person that says prom sucks because they couldn’t get a date.[/quote]

Bingo (Although I maintain my right to mock and deride Walmart fans until we have our own.)

[quote=“BusterC417, post:26, topic:32321”]Seems to me, we are, with all this talk about walmart fans. I hope the new AD can bring in so many damn Walmart fans you guys can’t stand it hahaha.

But in all seriousness, we need casual fans. Every school does. Maybe one day they will turn into alums, but if not, who cares. Not everyone can go to college, and many don’t want to. But if they want to be 49er fans, come on! We sound like the person that says prom sucks because they couldn’t get a date.[/quote]

For me the defining line between Walmart fans and nonalum fans are their connections and allegiance in all sports and the recognition that they didn’t attend the school and therefore have to balance their shit talk.

It drives me up the wall to hear someone who didn’t go to college take shots at another schools academics. In chapel hills case their Walmart fans don’t get the cheating stuff because their diploma doesn’t say chapel hill. They can walk away in a way alums can’t.

If you went to the school or your family went to the school that makes you a tier 1 fan in my eyes. Talk mad shit.

If you live in the city or are employed by school be proud of the school, pull for the school and talk some smack but keep it focused on athletic achievement. You are a tier 2 fan.

You have no connection to the school besides just liking to see them win, you didn’t go to school there and you don’t even follow them in all sports. You are a tier 3 Walmart fan and screw you.

I got zero ties to usc other than beating them a couple times and started a helluva brawl there. But I LOVE gamecock football. Follow it harder than Panthers and enjoy the scene there more than Panthers. Own gear, buy tickets, But I don’t put down Clemson

And I assume you will pull for the 49ers if we ever play them in football? Correct?

And I assume you will pull for the 49ers if we ever play them in football? Correct?[/quote]
Ya. I would see it as win win either way.

Probably us. We act like we’re still relevant. :)) Not that it’s a bad thing.

Good example. I’ve lived in Charleston for 14 years and follow C of C basketball closely, even buying season tix. What’s nice is that pulling against them 1 game in a season when they play the 49ers is easy. Oh, and as a C of C fan, I still have fellow fans who despise Davidson (Where my gf went to school).