Clt asks who you want covering the other team's best scorer on the last possession

• basden
  • young
  • henry
  • el tamir
  • goldwire
0 voters

Very close between Basden and Galen…give the edge to Basden.
P. Henry an awfully good defender to be #3 on my list.

Coulda ended the list there.

Goldwire??? I don’t remember him being a lock down defender. Was that a throw away vote?

As I remember, Leemire was considered one of the best on the ball defenders in the nation coming out of high school, but it never really translated at the next level until his senior year.

Galen Eddie and PH are all time top 3 on ball defenders that’s I’ve witnessed in some sort of an order.

JP and Phil too 2 centers I’ve witnessed with Charles as a honorable mention only due to limited games.

Ask Brian Wardle who he wants guarding him if he’s only 8 points from a career milestone.

4 Likes

That was James Zimmerman wasn’t it? Held him to a donut?

3 Likes

clt says goldwire is high in our career steals list

clt says el tamir needs more respect

https://marquette_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/m-baskbl/stats/013000aaa.html

BTW, Marquette has our logo correct. Pleasantly surprised.

The story about Marquette asking us to stop the game when he broke the scoring record, and Lutz telling JZ not to let him get a single GD point, and JZ’s “I got you coach”, may be the most badass story in Niner hoops history.

3 Likes

I was at that game. Man, those late 90s Bobby Lutz teams were built different.

1 Like

Yes, they were.

1 Like

Basden was a great defender but took a lot of chances on steals Galen just had that DAWG in him. Galen was a little more athletic than Basden also so for one play I put Galen on the assignment.

1 Like

Galen vs Raymond Felton, @Chapel Hill, end of regulation, December 1998 I believe?

That one possession says it all.

3 Likes

I think you mean Ed Cota, but yeah you’re right. Galen locked him down.

2 Likes

clt was at that game

fun fact, our players went to class that season, unlike UNC CHeat

1 Like

Sigh. Early onset for NA.

Thanks for keeping me in check.