clt provides more UNC CHeat scandal.

[quote=“cltniners, post:1819, topic:28477”]UNC’s accreditation agency accused UNC of over 18 years of academic fraud and a lack of academic integrity as it related to their athletic programs. In their response to the agency, UNC agreed the fraud was longstanding and extended well beyond just Debbie Crowder and Professor Nyangoro. SACS made UNC the first major research institution to be placed on accreditation probation…ever. These are stone cold facts.

The original NOA and second amended NOA did, in fact, specifically reference UNC men’s football and basketball. In the exhibits supporting the NOA, an interview with Roy Williams is listed in support of one or more of the Level One allegations. In any case, there is no magical “fire wall” between academics and athletics at a university because athletes must remain academically eligible to play sports. If an athlete benefits from academic fraud and bogus classes keep them eligible (as seems to be the case with more than 1,500 student athletes at UNC for 18 plus years per the Wainstein Report), then the athletic eligibility of those student athletes is unmerited and fraudulent. As UNC Chancellor Carol Folt herself admitted, the problems at UNC were both academic and athletic. UNC Athletic Director Bubba C. too admitted fraud occurred. Again, inconvenient facts. Are Bubba and Carol lying? Do they hate UNC?

The most shameful thing about all this is that UNC and its defenders seemingly have no shame in contending, straight-facedly, that UNC has done nothing much wrong and should receive no punishments. In fact, they seem to feel that the NCAA, SACS, and the dozens of journalists, experts, and commentators that have dared to question UNC’s integrity and honor should all write apology notes. How special.[/quote]
Someone has hacked clt’s account

^ I thought same thing when I read it.

clt says to enjoy the comments.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:1815, topic:28477”]Maryland President: ‘I would think’ UNC would receive death penalty

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article143811894.html[/quote]

I’m surprised this didn’t elicit more of a response.

“behind every fortune is a crime” paraphrased

vtcaconc Nick Martin 4/11/17 2:30pm UNC (grad) student here and I think we absolutely should get the death penalty. It is baffling. I think the NCAA is absurd and corrupt, but UNC (at least insofar as its athletics and certain departments) has been as well. I know at least some faculty here would not be sad to see the death penalty so that the school can get its fucking priorities straight.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:1824, topic:28477”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:1815, topic:28477”]Maryland President: ‘I would think’ UNC would receive death penalty

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article143811894.html[/quote]

I’m surprised this didn’t elicit more of a response.[/quote]No one actually believes this will happen, hard to get worked up about that. At this point, I’d be surprised if the cheaters even gets much more than a wrist slap.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:1826, topic:28477”]

vtcaconc
Nick Martin
4/11/17 2:30pm
UNC (grad) student here and I think we absolutely should get the death penalty. It is baffling. I think the NCAA is absurd and corrupt, but UNC (at least insofar as its athletics and certain departments) has been as well. I know at least some faculty here would not be sad to see the death penalty so that the school can get its f***ing priorities straight.
[/quote]People in the research divisions there must just be going nuts. That Chapel Hill would risk hundreds of millions of dollars in research grants (see: http://research.unc.edu/about/facts-rankings/research-funding/ ) to save the basketball team that is not worth nearly as much is just crazy.

Charlotte Observer runs Maryland President article.

clt says Loh is his spirit animal.

I decided that UMD is my favorite P5 team!

clt agrees. go terps!

Had an interesting conversation with someone today about this as it now seems to be picking up a lot of steam and press since UN Cheat made the Title run. But a couple of things came up in the discussion that was an interesting take on where this is at this point:

• With the increase in public press and pressure…how can the NCAA do NOTHING to UNC Cheat at this point? Very unlikely. Some sanctions at some level seem to be inevitable
  • Assuming the penalties are harsh…would this open pandora’s box? If UNC gets hit hard and a precedent is set…it would only encourage more leaks and investigations at other P5 schools. We all know more schools operate like this. Once one gets hit, and the precedent is established the dogs would be unleashed to find the next one…and the next one.
  • Once several P5 schools realize that they are on the radar for this type of investigation and penalty…would this not HASTEN the move for the P5 schools to break away and form their own league? Why stay and waste money to fight investigations and comply with NCAA regulations when you can form a separate league with like-minded schools that want to treat amateur athletics more like a business? They will still monopolize the TV contracts…they will be able to pay their athletes what they want…they can write their own rules (assuming they have any) regarding academics.

So, the end game to this story may not be the eventual punishment/sanctions handed out to UNC Cheat. That end game may actually just be the beginning. The beginning of the end of the NCAA and the beginning of a separate P5 athletic league (that everyone seems to think is inevitable at some point anyway).

I thought that was a very interesting take…fwiw.

I have wondered if CHeat has been stalling, delaying, and dragging their feet for a couple of years while they took two bites at the National Championship apple. Now that they have won it would not surprise me if they negotiate a plea bargain with the NCAA where they admit to significant violations “in the past” that have all been remediated. Now they are as clean as the driven snow, because the NCAA will stipulate that. They will vacate some games, maybe quite a few, but keep their championships. They will lose scholarships and post-season play for the next three years but that will be rescinded after two. Their fans will still be wearing their championship t-shirts when they make their next run in 2020. All will be forgotten, although TRLeader’s theory has merit too.

[quote=“TRLeader, post:1833, topic:28477”]Had an interesting conversation with someone today about this as it now seems to be picking up a lot of steam and press since UN Cheat made the Title run. But a couple of things came up in the discussion that was an interesting take on where this is at this point:

• With the increase in public press and pressure…how can the NCAA do NOTHING to UNC Cheat at this point? Very unlikely. Some sanctions at some level seem to be inevitable
  • Assuming the penalties are harsh…would this open pandora’s box? If UNC gets hit hard and a precedent is set…it would only encourage more leaks and investigations at other P5 schools. We all know more schools operate like this. Once one gets hit, and the precedent is established the dogs would be unleashed to find the next one…and the next one.
  • Once several P5 schools realize that they are on the radar for this type of investigation and penalty…would this not HASTEN the move for the P5 schools to break away and form their own league? Why stay and waste money to fight investigations and comply with NCAA regulations when you can form a separate league with like-minded schools that want to treat amateur athletics more like a business? They will still monopolize the TV contracts…they will be able to pay their athletes what they want…they can write their own rules (assuming they have any) regarding academics.

So, the end game to this story may not be the eventual punishment/sanctions handed out to UNC Cheat. That end game may actually just be the beginning. The beginning of the end of the NCAA and the beginning of a separate P5 athletic league (that everyone seems to think is inevitable at some point anyway).

I thought that was a very interesting take…fwiw.[/quote]

All is true, but what is often forgotten in all this is chancellors, who are academics, make decisions on these matters. Not the ADs. How many academics do you think are willing to throw the educational mission of the school into the trash and exit the NCAA? I think they are just as likely to reign it all in.

Nothing is going to happen. They’ve been under watch for a few years now and still just won a title.

Maybe they were cheating a while ago but I don’t know how they could be now with the eyes on them.

We’re only getting further away from when something actually could have happened, so it’s really further away from action in my opinion.

It’s way past time to move on.

[quote=“Expectations Manager, post:1836, topic:28477”]Nothing is going to happen. They’ve been under watch for a few years now and still just won a title.

Maybe they were cheating a while ago but I don’t know how they could be now with the eyes on them.

We’re only getting further away from when something actually could have happened, so it’s really further away from action in my opinion.

It’s way past time to move on.[/quote]
Yep

No, its not. They must be held accountable, and at least a portion of the NCAA (the most important one - the COI) wants to.

“Must” but “won’t”

The NCAA either has to act or they write their own demise. If they don’t enforce this and significantly so there is no reason for them to exist.