clt says let's talk about coastal

dj wins the us open, and now they are one game away from NCAA champs in baseball.

Not too shabby

Not to mention Josh Norman and Mike Tolbert’s success.

jerome simpson.

My jealousy of the Chanticleers only gets worse.

They beat us down in football, beat us on our home field in 2013 NCAA Soccer Tourney, have made the NCAA Tourney in hoops twice in the past 3 years, and now baseball.

They’ve invested in the baseball program for a long time now. Nice to see their investment in their program paying off.

Can we hire their AD part time? My guess is that he’d accomplish more as a part time employee than our current administration accomplishes working full time.

It’s embarrassing that a school like Coastal Carolina is passing us by. We were in a quasi-power conference barely more than a decade ago. They barely existed as an athletics program. Now they’re in a conference that is pretty much on par with our own…and they’re better than us at most sports.

http://www.goccusports.com/genrel/matt_hogue_891052.html

clt says let’s go get him

This. It’s not an accident that they are playing for the national title.

[quote=“cltniners, post:6, topic:30410”]http://www.goccusports.com/genrel/matt_hogue_891052.html

clt says let’s go get him[/quote]

i second that.

How do you quantify full time from our AD? #longlunchbreaks

I have watched almost every Coastal Game that has been on. I’ve said to my wife too many times, how can they do this (along with all the others listed here already) and we can’t?

We need new people at the top with a new vision for our athletic program. What we are doing is not working. All the accolades and recognition for Coastal just shows what some people can do. Hire someone from there. Can we get their AD? Probably not but worth looking at.

[quote=“49er96, post:10, topic:30410”]I have watched almost every Coastal Game that has been on. I’ve said to my wife too many times, how can they do this (along with all the others listed here already) and we can’t?

We need new people at the top with a new vision for our athletic program. What we are doing is not working. All the accolades and recognition for Coastal just shows what some people can do. Hire someone from there. Can we get their AD? Probably not but worth looking at.[/quote]A few years ago? Most likely, unless the guy just really likes living at the beach. Today? I doubt it. What incentive does he have? Our conferences are comparable, our salaries probably aren’t dramatically different, and performance-wise, Coastal is ahead of us in most sports. :-\

[quote=“Niner National, post:11, topic:30410”][quote=“49er96, post:10, topic:30410”]I have watched almost every Coastal Game that has been on. I’ve said to my wife too many times, how can they do this (along with all the others listed here already) and we can’t?

We need new people at the top with a new vision for our athletic program. What we are doing is not working. All the accolades and recognition for Coastal just shows what some people can do. Hire someone from there. Can we get their AD? Probably not but worth looking at.[/quote]A few years ago? Most likely, unless the guy just really likes living at the beach. Today? I doubt it. What incentive does he have? Our conferences are comparable, our salaries probably aren’t dramatically different, and performance-wise, Coastal is ahead of us in most sports. :-[/quote]

history and facility wise, and potential wise, we are a much better option. i think he would take the job. we would have to pay the man. not necessarily worth leaving if we only pay a little more. we cant be cheap.

This. It’s not an accident that they are playing for the national title.[/quote]
I wouldn’t call it an accident but I would call it extremely rare and very fortunate. Lots of schools invest and never reach this level of success. The investment they made is peanuts compared to the big boys. I am pulling for them like crazy but it’s not like it happens a lot.

But yeah- they are reaping what they sowed and unfortunately so are we.

That is not true at all. The facilities that they have are on par with any program in the country. They essentially have a minor league stadium on campus. And a state-of-the-art indoor hitting facility. And they have got right in the face of their 2 in-state brothers (both top 15 programs I will add) and told them they are going to compete head-to-head for the same recruits. Anybody who follows baseball knows that Coastal has been a top 20 program in the country over the last 10-15 years. I’m pulling like hell for them tonight. They deserve to be in this position.

That is not true at all. The facilities that they have are on par with any program in the country. They essentially have a minor league stadium on campus. And a state-of-the-art indoor hitting facility. And they have got right in the face of their 2 in-state brothers (both top 15 programs I will add) and told them they are going to compete head-to-head for the same recruits. Anybody who follows baseball knows that Coastal has been a top 20 program in the country over the last 10-15 years. I’m pulling like hell for them tonight. They deserve to be in this position.[/quote]

I’ve been watching all their games and they can make a believer out of anyone. This run reminds me of our soccer run 4 or 5 years ago, but all of the CWS games are televised nationally on ESPN and ESPN2. Coastal has gained tons of exposure in the last week and a half, and deservedly so.

For the non-baseball fans, so far they have defeated NC State twice in the Raleigh Regional, swept #8 LSU in the Super Regionals in Baton Rouge, and in the CWS they have defeated #1 Florida, defeated #5 Texas Tech, defeated TCU twice, and split with Arizona so far.

They have a solid program and have hosted Regionals and Super Regionals. Not too long ago, they hosted USC in a Super Regional and the South Carolina fans were crying because Coastal fans grabbed all the tickets. Their AD has done a remarkable job getting behind their baseball, football, and men’s basketball programs. I wish there was some way we could get him to come here.

Well, there would have to be an opening first. And, well…

Well, there would have to be an opening first. And, well…[/quote]

This is no time for reality.

clt says we should make a run for him.

The administration believed they could be big time and compete, and look where they’re at. They’re already surpassing us.

The “small schools” that burst through and became big time usually didn’t happen by accident. They required a hard working administration that dreamed big.

I look at Utah, Boise State, Houston, Louisville, Baylor, Cincy and I have no idea why that can’t be us. Our AD can be insanely infuriating because by standing still we’re moving backward. Doing the bare minimum can’t cut it.

Oh well, maybe the next AD will be that change.

Tonight’s game postponed until tomorrow afternoon because of stormy weather.